Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I got to thinking about this when I was pondering the emergence of the AFC as the elite conference in football. I noticed that, when the AFC began to turn the corner, the Pats and Colts were emerging as top tier talents and dynasties (although only we can officially be called a dynasty) in the conference. After that, other teams in the AFC geared their coaching and rosters after us.

Now, post Super Bowl, I look at the NFC and am starting to notice the same things that I did in 2000 when the AFC was finally starting to come around. It's not only because they won the Super Bowl this year. Personally, I think the Giants will be lucky if they get a wild card berth next year. However, I look at the Cowboys and the Packers and I'm starting to think that we may have two NFC versions of the Pats and Colts. Now this is all barring how Rodgers pans out in Green Bay (I think he'll be fine, by the way) but I can see these two young franchises leading the NFC for years to come.

Both teams have a tremendous amount of youth (Green Bay being the youngest team in the league) and they both proved that they can succeed at high levels. Also, since the AFC has been dominant, there has only been one really good team in the NFC for the past couple of years. Bears, Seahawks, Eagles, Bucs, etc. This past year, there was two good teams at the top in the NFC. So I pose this question to you: is the NFC turning the corner? Or are these two teams going to fade back into mediocrity next year?

I thought you were going else where with this thread.

IMO, I dont think the AFC is as dominant over the NFC as it was a few years ago. I think the NFL Elite is still in the AFC Pats and Colts but other than those two teams I think the NFC has evened the confrences off a bit. The really bad NFC teams are attempting to climb out the basement being replaced by afc teams Jets, Dolphins, Raiders, ect...And the tier after The Pats and Colts was once the Chargers and Steelers and now is The cowboys and Packers (although they may fall fast without favre).

AFC Elites
Pats / Colts

NFC Elite
Cowboys

That's how I look at it right now. Don't view the Giants or Chargers as elite.

The Chargers should be an "elite-in-waiting" team. The only way I put them up there would be if they keep knocking off the Colts in the same fashion.

In the end its about the QBs. The AFC has the top 2 QBs in the game.
The second tier QBs ( Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Ben Windshieldburger etc...) are kinda evenly spread.

The NFC went 32-32 against the AFC last year and won the Super Bowl, so it's getting much closer. Though the elite teams in the AFC are still a step above the elite teams of the NFC. The AFC also has teams picking in 4 of the top 6 slots in the draft, including a 1-15 team, so the bottom is pretty bad.

I feel the NFL has passed AFC in overall depth. But, outside of NFC East. What teams can emerge as dominant teams? I think Seattle is slipping. With Favre gone. What team in the North/Central can become dominant? I don't see one. If Reese has some more drafts like last year. I wouldn't write the Giants off yet.

Seattle was only slipping because they were a one trick pony without an elite QB and receivers. They now have Julius Jones. I, personally, do not see that working out. But, Jones might suprise. If he does, Seattle is an elite team in the NFC. Besides the Cowboys, I think GB will be good again next year. Their offense is designed in such a way that all the QB has to do is get the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible and into the receiver's hands. Rodgers showed he could do that against Dallas (one of the better defenses in the league). Detroit is one mistake-free quarterback away from actually becoming a good team. Vikings have the most potent running back tandem in the league and are now looking at receivers for Tarvaris Jackson.

AFC Elites
Pats / Colts

NFC Elite
Cowboys

That's how I look at it right now. Don't view the Giants or Chargers as elite.

me either, giants are a fluke, (and everyone knows it) and the Chargers are the most overrated team in the league.

As the playoffs unfolded I thought there were 5 teams that were capable of beating the Pats, (Never thought they would be beat in the SB, tho)

The Packers were playing awfully well down the stretch
The Giants played us very well in that last game.
The Colts, obvious
Chargers talent across the board
And maybe the Jaguars , my memory is fading (if they could get their running game going-silly me)

The Cowboys, Seahawks were a notch below to me.

A team of the future may be Minnesota, and if they turn the corner look out.

I think the NFC is on the rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back