PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Is Philip Rivers overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the rush to judgement on these QBs. One year, Eli is a bust and Rivers is awesome. Now Eli's great and Rivers is a bust. It takes several years to really see what these guys are, they need to grow and mature. I think both are more than capable. Look around this league, how many decent QBs are there really? Sure maybe these players won't end up as all time greats, but I think they have the potential to be very good QBs.

I know good QBs perform regardless the situation, but those are some pretty good defenses.

actually you know very little.

About EVERYTHING.

don't you have a debt to pay?

actually you know very little.

About EVERYTHING.

don't you have a debt to pay?

As a previous poster said, wasn't Eli a bust last year while Rivers was a pro-bowler? Young QBs struggle, it happens, especially against defense that are as solid as the one's Rivers has played.

Ummm hello, new offensive coordinator ring a bell?

Ummm hello, new offensive coordinator ring a bell?

That excuse doesn't come up when they win. Weird.

Built in excuses....love em

As a previous poster said, wasn't Eli a bust last year while Rivers was a pro-bowler? Young QBs struggle, it happens, especially against defense that are as solid as the one's Rivers has played.

WES WELKER :D

That excuse doesn't come up when they win. Weird.

Built in excuses....love em

What im saying is you gotta take that into consideration when their usually high powered offense starts to struggle. You can't blame just the QB for that.
That whole team got revamped coaching-wise, and of course its gonna have its consequenses.

What im saying is you gotta take that into consideration when their usually high powered offense starts to struggle. You can't blame just the QB for that.
That whole team got revamped coaching-wise, and of course its gonna have its consequenses.

Let me ask you a question. If LT broke a leg.....could you EVER be confident he could carry your team?

Let me ask you a question. If LT broke a leg.....could you EVER be confident he could carry your team?

YOUR TEAM?

hold on a second here, im not a Chargers fan

I'm just saying, they are not gonna be as effective as last year with all the coaching changes.

I only caught a bit of the SD game yesterday but the bit I did catch Rivers was a total mess, stupid mistakes, didn't get the play off in time and was whining. Not the first time I've seen him act like a big girl either, stomping round almost crying. My little bro said he's sh!t and he didn't even know what he was watching.

Haven't seen enough of him consistantly to know what he's about though. Maybe I just always catch the bad bits.....Or are there alot of bad bits....

Rivers is at a disadvantage right now, despite being in his 4th year, he is only a sophomore starter, and playing for a new offensive coordinator. Remember what all those OC switches did to Bledsoe?

I'd put Rivers in the "developing" stage right now. Last year he had the benifit of playing behind the leagues best OL and a RB having a historic year. This year the rest of the Chargers offense has returned to Earth.

With the addition and assimilation of Chris Chambers to the San Diego offense, along with the development of Craig Davis and Vincent Jackson, the pressure will be on Rivers over the next year and a half to emerge as an elite QB. If Rivers isn't a top 5 QB next year, he will have to be labeled a dissapointment. Though at this point I would say he is hardly a bust.

I know the Giants have won x in a row but that's the NFC for you. Absent Plex's capacity for saving his ass just enough to get the W, Eli is still a goober, and Rivers is an entitled little crybaby. Drafting QB's in the first is the ultimate crap shoot. Most of them are so egocentric and spoiled they never adapt to life in the big leagues.

What was Eli's QB rating across the pond...40 something against the team that can't win on any continent...

Rivers is overrated and so is Jay Cutler.

He's over rated now; but not much longer. The bloom's off of that rose and people are starting to figure it out.

What strikes me about Rivers is his very poor leadership. He melts down all the time and seems to have little command on that team. The QB has to be a good, no - great leader. Without that 'general' mentality at the QB position, a team cannot gel. Football is the ultimate team sport and if you QB is not the ultimate TEAM guy, it does not work.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Rivers IS OVERRATED! He needs to grow up, work hard in the film room and prove himself to his teammates!

Last edited:
What strikes me about Rivers is his very poor leadership. He melts down all the time and seems to have little command on that team. The QB has to be a good leader, without that 'general' mentality at the QB position, the team does not gel. Football is the ultimate team sport and if your QB is not the ultimate TEAM guy, it does not work.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Rivers IS OVERRATED! He needs to grow up, work hard in the film room and prove himself to his teammates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes