PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Is Lovie Smith stupid or just dishonest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any problem with what Smith says to the press...he's the coach and needs to protect the players...On the other hand, I heard this AM that Smith had said there would be no disciplinary actions..and I think that is a bit different. Is Smith more an enabler here? Is this the type of player he wants around??
I can see Coach B saying nothing, but I can also bet that in house, there would be SOME action..done; without it being a big deal or leaked out. In all of this, I really have lost respect for Lovie.

Lovie Smith is not in the business of implicating his own players to the press. I am getting tired fast of PFT. They started out as a cool sight for football fans, with a charming mix of humor and irreverence, but since the addition of Saint Michael David Smith have transformed themselves into a crusading outfit trying to right the cultural wrongs of the world through the medium of pigskin. Get over yourself, PFT. Lovie Smith is paid to coach the Bears and win games, the police are paid to investigate crimes.

Agree with this post entirely.

Given his trust in Rex Grossman, I'd have to say he's stupid.

From PFT.

Okay, Lovie, the guy smashes a car that costs as much as three kids' college educations into a telephone pole at 3am and then flees the scene, leaving it behind, and you think suggesting alcohol was a factor is "stretching it"?

What college are they referring to? With $350,000 you could put 30 kids through college!

Lovie is definitely not dishonest, but he is intelligently stupid. He does not want to know what happened. He just states the facts as everyone knows them, and supports his team 100%.

From PFT.

Okay, Lovie, the guy smashes a car that costs as much as three kids' college educations into a telephone pole at 3am and then flees the scene, leaving it behind, and you think suggesting alcohol was a factor is "stretching it"?

Nobody is that stupid. I understand saying "no comment," and I recognize you don't want to lose the guy for any time, especially with San Diego in the first game of the season, but how do you hold a straight face and say that?

"What, he was found wrapped in barbed wire, covered in egg yolk, with chicken feathers all over his body? I think it's stretching it to suggest he robbed an egg farm."

Well, you can look at it from two points of view.

First, as the coach protecting his players and focusing on his job at hand, a predictable response.

Second, and more important in my mind, just another enabler in a league of enablers in a world of enablers.

Thank god for Goodell. At least there is a chance that one day we hold priviledged athletes to a higher standard, instead of the proverbial free pass.

Last edited:
I don' t think there is any evidence of wrongdoing. The driver may have been speeding and lost control but you don't know that. He may have simply fell asleep at the wheel, not unreasonable at 3 AM. he may have simply tried a maneuver with his high price car that it couldn't handle; or he was too inexperienced to perform. But you don't know that either. He may have been driving impaired, but...We don't know that, either.

As for leaving the scene. What scenes? It's 3 AM. No one was hurt, the car was undrivable,as I saw it being towed. If I had a $330 k car, I'd be damn anxious to get somewhere to call a tow truck, and get it moved before it was stripped bare.

Wouldn't you?

I object to buying the presumed answer from people who make a living creating reporting scandal.

What college are they referring to? With $350,000 you could put 30 kids through college!

Lovie is definitely not dishonest, but he is intelligently stupid. He does not want to know what happened. He just states the facts as everyone knows them, and supports his team 100%.

I guesss.... but it would have to be $2500 a year ($1250 per semester) for a four year degree...

I'm not sure you'd like the parchment you got for those 30 kids. I'd stick with the 3 kids... you still don't get them through ANY college they want for the 350K... but at least a decent one.

I went to one of those "public ivies." you couldn't even get an in-state student through the "higher education best buy" school for that much (the 30 kids figure.)

PFnV

I actually feel bad for Lovie and the position his players put him in.

I mean think about it. It seems pretty clear that Lance Briggs had something to hide that night, probably the alcohol in his body. While Lovie I'm sure has is own suspicions, it is much easier for him to believe Lance's story and thus negate all the negative off the field questioning that results.

Off course, now this becomes Lovie's problem in that he has look naive in front of the media.

Private schools are $45k a year x 4 years = $270k per kid = $810,000
Public schools like UConn or Umass are around $6k tuition and $12k R&B, so $18k a year x 4 years = $72k per kid = 216,000.

I don' t think there is any evidence of wrongdoing. The driver may have been speeding and lost control but you don't know that. He may have simply fell asleep at the wheel, not unreasonable at 3 AM. he may have simply tried a maneuver with his high price car that it couldn't handle; or he was too inexperienced to perform. But you don't know that either. He may have been driving impaired, but...We don't know that, either.
Except none of you above scenarios give a motive for leaving the scene.

As for leaving the scene. What scenes?
Uh, the scene of the accident. :rolleyes:
It's 3 AM. No one was hurt, the car was undrivable,as I saw it being towed. If I had a $330 k car, I'd be damn anxious to get somewhere to call a tow truck, and get it moved before it was stripped bare.
So you'd leave the car in order to prevent it from being "stripped bare"..? Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes:

Wouldn't you?
Ummmmmm..... no. If I was clean and sober and innocent of any wrongdoing, I would not leave the scene of a an accident. Because that's kinda illegal. This isn't 1969. Everyone has a cell phone these days so you don't need to go anywhere to summon help.

Last edited:
He called the cops and reported the car stolen, guys. Then admitted that he lied when he did that.

Some of your kids must get away with murder. Do you know where they are right now?

He called the cops and reported the car stolen, guys. Then admitted that he lied when he did that.

Some of your kids must get away with murder. Do you know where they are right now?
Not to mention he was seen in some local nightclub before the incident. Some people need to learn how to put 2 and 2 together.

Private schools are $45k a year x 4 years = $270k per kid = $810,000
Public schools like UConn or Umass are around $6k tuition and $12k R&B, so $18k a year x 4 years = $72k per kid = 216,000.

Too true. Alas, these days $350k would't even put my two kids through my alma mater. (Even back in the day the financial aid office and I were real close buddies.)

Here's hoping my kids don't drive their educations into a freeway barrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back