PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Irsay stirring the pot? "Manning will be the highest paid player in the league"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Irsay stirring the pot? "Manning will be the highest paid player in the leagu

Much of what has been said is true, but I have a different take on things.

Yes, Manning is much better than Brady. Yes, Brady didn't play as well this year, locked onto receivers, etc. Hopefully that's just injuries and the post ACL etc.

However Indy can AFFORD to pay Manning top $. Why? Because they can fill out their roster with guys off the street and pay them nothing. Their starting OG was living in his parents' basement before playing for the colts!! Contemplate that for a minute. While we're paying huge money to AD Thomas :mad: and making FOOLS out of ourselves, Polian is plugging in randoms and WINNING.

We can't afford to pay Brady "Manning money " because we need the money to fill out our roster. Apparently JAG guys can't be coached up here in our scheme to win. We have to hire expensive FAs. And even with Thomas and 3 #1 picks on our defense we get SMOKED.

Polian could literally get a bunch of guys off the waiver wire and field a top notch defense and offense too. Either Manning makes everyone better or our coaching just ISN'T THAT GOOD. :mad:

Personally, I am shocked that a troll pretending to be a Pats fan would think Manning is way better than Brady.

The funny thing is that you think the Colts have better cap managment than the Pats. They may have better drafting, but they are also the team that pays Bob Sanders one of highest paid safety contracts in the league to spend most of his season on IR every year.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Irsay stirring the pot? "Manning will be the highest paid player in the leagu

Brady won't be signed in the offseason. Zero chance. The Patriots are not giving any long term deals to anyone until the CBA is in place. Do you really think that if they believe the Cap will come down or the players revs are coming down they are going to pay 2010 prices for what might be a 2012 downturn. (P.S. Stupid on their part, but its how they are thinking and I have that from an insider) Especially since they are going to franchise Vince. If they effed over Vince and Mankins but signed Brady the locker room would be a mess. So then what. Brady plays out his contract and the lockout begins. He won't even be franchised because the lockout will start.

Then what happens. Well franchising, might be one of the things the owners give in on. They aren't giving in on anything else. So Brady is a Free Agent in 2011. He's pissed the Pats didn't re-up, he's pissed the Jets have surpassed them and he's probably bitter at the owners who locked them out and put the screws to them. And Kraft is one of the leaders of that ownership.

He might just tell the Patriots to go fly. He'll have 5-8 teams willing to sign him up and the Pats with no franchise leverage will have blown it.

Game, set, match. Which is why I have said the Raider pick will be a QB.

I haven't been wrong on this team all year. The old saying power corrupts. The Krafts and Belichick really think its all about them, but without Tom they would have been Jets of the last 8 years, a fringe team.

5 to 8 teams willing to sign him?

More like half the league would be involved at least 14 teams,Brady would attract more attention in an offseason than possibly any NFL figure in history

So, the Clots owner's name is just "Sir" in pig-Latin? :confused:

Brady won't be signed in the offseason. Zero chance. The Patriots are not giving any long term deals to anyone until the CBA is in place. Do you really think that if they believe the Cap will come down or the players revs are coming down they are going to pay 2010 prices for what might be a 2012 downturn. (P.S. Stupid on their part, but its how they are thinking and I have that from an insider) Especially since they are going to franchise Vince. If they effed over Vince and Mankins but signed Brady the locker room would be a mess. So then what. Brady plays out his contract and the lockout begins. He won't even be franchised because the lockout will start.

Then what happens. Well franchising, might be one of the things the owners give in on. They aren't giving in on anything else. So Brady is a Free Agent in 2011. He's pissed the Pats didn't re-up, he's pissed the Jets have surpassed them and he's probably bitter at the owners who locked them out and put the screws to them. And Kraft is one of the leaders of that ownership.

He might just tell the Patriots to go fly. He'll have 5-8 teams willing to sign him up and the Pats with no franchise leverage will have blown it.

Game, set, match. Which is why I have said the Raider pick will be a QB.

I haven't been wrong on this team all year. The old saying power corrupts. The Krafts and Belichick really think its all about them, but without Tom they would have been Jets of the last 8 years, a fringe team.

I love how people claim they predicted everything right all year. No way to back it up, but it is a nice claim to make.

Brady is not going to leave the Patriots until the Pats decide that they want him to go. Brady's best shot for his legacy is here. He doesn't want to end his career like Montana and others did going somewhere else.

The Pats could franchise Brady, but just to buy time to get a deal done. They are not going to let Brady just walk away. Brady will not just walk away from the Pats either.

BTW, the Pats went 11-5 without Brady and only didn't get into the playoffs because a fluke that happens every 20 years or so where an 11-5 team doesn't get into the playoffs. Heck this year, they could have made it at 9-7.

Isn't the offseason great?!? A bunch of I told you so before anything happens trolls.

BTW, here are some of the things you got wrong:

You cheap out on wide outs, you get stuck with Sam don't call me Clay Aiken as you're 3rd wideout.

Where did the Pats cheap out on WRs. Moss is one of the highest paid WRs in the NFL. Welker got an above market value deal which is why the Dolphins didn't match it (granted he has outplayed the contract). Galloway got a very good deal for an older veteran with a year or two left in the tank. The Pats didn't have depth at WR because they gambled on two WRs who didn't fit in the system (Galloway and Lewis), not because they went cheap. How much are you supposed to pay a #3 or #4 WR anyway? Six or seven million a year?!?

In reference to why Weis didn't come back

Of course it was money and the cheap Patriots won't pay it. They need to save the money for that stupid shopping mall they built. But if they aren't going to pay pro bowlers why would they pay coaches.

Had nothing to do with it, but your troll mantra doesn't fit into the reality that Weis already told the Chiefs that he would sign with them before the season was even over. Weis had committed even before Belichick could even inquire.

The Salary cap is so big now, there is no reason you can't keep your players. Also, if the Pats didn't wait till their best players were in their final years they wouldn't have this problem. Example: Asante, Branch, Brady and Wilfolk.

The fact is that the Pats first approached Samuel the year before his last year of his rookie contract to get a contract done. Samuel just wanted more than the Pats were offering. Brady has gotten two new deals with the Pats already and both times have been when he had years left on his contract. Wilfork and the Pats talked new deal before the start of this season.

Do I need to go on?

Last edited:

Personally, I am shocked that a troll pretending to be a Pats fan would think Manning is way better than Brady.

The funny thing is that you think the Colts have better cap managment than the Pats. They may have better drafting, but they are also the team that pays Bob Sanders one of highest paid safety contracts in the league to spend most of his season on IR every year.

Everyone who thinks Manning is better than Brady is a troll? Well, OK, that's about 90% of the football population including 50% of Pats fans (which includes me). But whatever makes you feel better!:rocker:

Everyone who thinks Manning is better than Brady is a troll? Well, OK, that's about 90% of the football population including 50% of Pats fans (which includes me). But whatever makes you feel better!:rocker:

Manning IS better than Brady now and for the past 5 years, but as I stated earlier,Manning has had a solidified WR corps most of this decade while Brady has had his receivers in shuffling mode year in and year out.

Had Manning had new receivers almost every year like Brady has had he would not be as good as he is right now IMO.

Brady has been unforutunate that the Pats F.O. was not able to retain star receivers in 3 or more consecutive years like Branch,Gaffney who left after less than 2 seasons and a few others who Brady loved to throw to.

Brady was stacked with 5 solid wideouts in 2007 and he had monstrous stats,imagine how he would have been if this offense had been more stable over the years.

I hate to say this but Brady has not been allowed to maintain a peak career by failure to retain some valuable pieces to the offense and the F.O. is to blame,not Brady....I know the cap has something to do with this, but still the Colts found a way with Manning's huge contract to keep Wayne and Harrison for years together.

Last edited:

No you are a troll not because you think Manning is better than Brady. I have said that in the Bob Ryan threat that I have no problem with anyone saying that Manning is better. I call you a troll because I have read enough of your Patriots hating assinine posts to see that you are a fake fan posing as a Patriots fan to rile people up, not because you think Peyton Manning is better than Brady.

Seriously, do you trolls really think people on this board are that stupid? We can tell you guys from a mile away.

Last edited:

Yes, you are taking this the wrong way.

Think about it, you're the owner of the team that has what most analysts/pundits are already proclaiming to have the best QB of all time.

There's no way Manning won't be the highest paid player in the league after their negotiations.

No you are a troll not because you think Manning is better than Brady. I have said that in the Bob Ryan threat that I have no problem with anyone saying that Manning is better. I call you a troll because I have read enough of your Patriots hating assinine posts to see that you are a fake fan posing as a Patriots fan to rile people up, not because you think Peyton Manning is better than Brady.

Seriously, do you trolls really think people on this board are that stupid? We can tell you guys from a mile away.

Point me to some of my patriot hating posts.

I am somewhat tired of the homers so maybe that biases my posts, but I don't hate the patriots and consider myself to be a fan.

edit: I just went back and re-read my post. I don't think it ws hateful at all. I do capitalize things as I want to get people's attention. Too often, when I make salient points, it's just ignored by the people on here. The point I was TRYING to make is simply that Indy can afford to pay Manning huge money because they have good enough coaches to win with JAGs everywhere else! That is a good point, and there's not a bit of hate in it. Not a whit.

Last edited:

Superbowl week has turned into Payton Manning week hope he loses.

I love how people claim they predicted everything right all year. No way to back it up, but it is a nice claim to make.

Brady is not going to leave the Patriots until the Pats decide that they want him to go. Brady's best shot for his legacy is here. He doesn't want to end his career like Montana and others did going somewhere else.

The Pats could franchise Brady, but just to buy time to get a deal done. They are not going to let Brady just walk away. Brady will not just walk away from the Pats either.

BTW, the Pats went 11-5 without Brady and only didn't get into the playoffs because a fluke that happens every 20 years or so where an 11-5 team doesn't get into the playoffs. Heck this year, they could have made it at 9-7.

Isn't the offseason great?!? A bunch of I told you so before anything happens trolls.

This clowns insider is likely in janitorial services... The Krafts will not let the face of the franchise walk away. If push came to shove they could tag him in 2011, they don't have to pay it unless he plays, and there is no way the owners allow the tag to go away in 2011, players overall don't even care enough about that hardship to make it a bargaining point. If anything owners will be more determined to maintain it in the face of a potentially shrinking cap expansion.

I just don't get the angst over a Brady deal. He and Manning are finally both in the same spot, on the eve of FA, so their deals will be closer than in the past when Manning signed his deal under a tag because he was a FA and Brady was being extended 2 years early. Brady will be fine with slotting in between Manning and the rest of the best. He will play ball on splitting his bonus money and constructing his deal so the team isn't hamstrung. Manning's deal will in fact lower his cap again until he gets to his backloaded backend again. Brady's new deal will keep his cap hits manageable as they have been throughout his earlier deals. $50M amortized over 5 years is $10M. Manning won't see much salary initially and then the roster bonuses will reappear. On a split signing/option bunus Brady's initial amortization will be $5M or so. Once his option kicks in, and he may be willing to wait on that until 2012, his amortization will be double digit for a couple of years, but by 2015 that would be back to single digits...and any that is added along the way because of roster bonuses or restructure will be manageable as well as long as it doesn't bump up against double digit salary like Mannings has at the end of his deal.

Brady's cap hit is the second highest on the team in his last season, $10M. Mannings remains the highest on his team by roughly double at $19M. But that's because Manning's deal included the fluff Condon has to have, and Brady and his agent didn't need it.

Point me to some of my patriot hating posts.

I am somewhat tired of the homers so maybe that biases my posts, but I don't hate the patriots and consider myself to be a fan.

edit: I just went back and re-read my post. I don't think it ws hateful at all. I do capitalize things as I want to get people's attention. Too often, when I make salient points, it's just ignored by the people on here. The point I was TRYING to make is simply that Indy can afford to pay Manning huge money because they have good enough coaches to win with JAGs everywhere else! That is a good point, and there's not a bit of hate in it. Not a whit.

If you want people to start paying attention to your posts, start posting intelligently. Capslock just draws attention to idiocy.

The Colts system is top heavy. They maintain 8 players at cap hits over $5M. That only allows for 7 between $1-4M and everyone else is making 6 figures. Lots of those low 6 figures. They don't allow much margin for injury.

The Pat's system is built around a strong middle class. We have only 4 players counting over $5M on the cap. We have 26 making between $1-4M. It's always been that way.

We've been to 4 superbowls in the last 10 years. And won 3 in 4 years. Indy has been to two superbowls in the last 10 years, since Manning's 3rd season. They have won one. We lost Brady for an entire season last year and still managed to win 11 games. If the Colts lost Manning, even if we lent them Cassel, they would be lucky to win 8. Not because of the dropoff in QB, but because they don't have the talent to compete without a HOF QB at their helm. We are built to compete under whatever circumstances we may encounter. Situational Football 101. Doesn't mean the FO believes it can win it all without a QB of Brady's caliber, just means they don't want to absolutely suck if just one player can't answer the bell.

Shortsighted people like yourself are looking at the last thing they saw and extrapolating it as if it invalidates all we know based on the last decade. It doesn't. Manning was one and done in back to back seasons in 2007-2008. We were 2 minutes away from a 4th Lombardi in 2007 and tied for the division in 2008 during a season without our HOF QB. Sorry, the decision isn't even close as to which system pays better dividends over the long haul.

If you want people to start paying attention to your posts, start posting intelligently. Capslock just draws attention to idiocy.

The Colts system is top heavy. They maintain 8 players at cap hits over $5M. That only allows for 7 between $1-4M and everyone else is making 6 figures. Lots of those low 6 figures. They don't allow much margin for injury.

The Pat's system is built around a strong middle class. We have only 4 players counting over $5M on the cap. We have 26 making between $1-4M. It's always been that way.

We've been to 4 superbowls in the last 10 years. And won 3 in 4 years. Indy has been to two superbowls in the last 10 years, since Manning's 3rd season. They have won one. We lost Brady for an entire season last year and still managed to win 11 games. If the Colts lost Manning, even if we lent them Cassel, they would be lucky to win 8. Not because of the dropoff in QB, but because they don't have the talent to compete without a HOF QB at their helm. We are built to compete under whatever circumstances we may encounter. Situational Football 101. Doesn't mean the FO believes it can win it all without a QB of Brady's caliber, just means they don't want to absolutely suck if just one player can't answer the bell.

Shortsighted people like yourself are looking at the last thing they saw and extrapolating it as if it invalidates all we know based on the last decade. It doesn't. Manning was one and done in back to back seasons in 2007-2008. We were 2 minutes away from a 4th Lombardi in 2007 and tied for the division in 2008 during a season without our HOF QB. Sorry, the decision isn't even close as to which system pays better dividends over the long haul.

Sir, I do post intelligently. My point is that for all the Patriots "middle class", the middle class of the D can't get it done compared to the Colts' "low rent" JAGs. That says something to me. They have the cash to afford to pay a top guy big money. We however, don't. Adalius Thomas is eating all our money. Thankfully, he is out the door soon.

I'm all for a valued "middle class", but there's something wrong when low draft picks and guys living in their parents' basement are outperforming top FA and highly drafted players. Need I remind you of Ray Rice's 83 yard scamper...right up the gut, through the heart of the Pats vaunted #1s and FAs...3 #1 on defense and the high rent, useless, AD. All for naught.

Something, sir, is rotten in Denmark when you can't stop the run with all that talent and the best defensive minded head coach ever. We need better coaching, better schemes so that we can make do with average players like the colts instead of failing with talented players.

I'd rather win with a JAG than lose with a #1.

As for the colts can't win without manning, I suppose that is true. He is their team, but he's a great player apparently. I do hope the colts lose in the superbowl however. I very much hope that, oh yes, indeed I do.

Sir, I do post intelligently. My point is that for all the Patriots "middle class", the middle class of the D can't get it done compared to the Colts' "low rent" JAGs. That says something to me. They have the cash to afford to pay a top guy big money. We however, don't. Adalius Thomas is eating all our money. Thankfully, he is out the door soon.

I'm all for a valued "middle class", but there's something wrong when low draft picks and guys living in their parents' basement are outperforming top FA and highly drafted players. Need I remind you of Ray Rice's 83 yard scamper...right up the gut, through the heart of the Pats vaunted #1s and FAs...3 #1 on defense and the high rent, useless, AD. All for naught.

Something, sir, is rotten in Denmark when you can't stop the run with all that talent and the best defensive minded head coach ever. We need better coaching, better schemes so that we can make do with average players like the colts instead of failing with talented players.

As for the colts can't win without manning, I suppose that is true. He is their team, but he's a great player apparently. I do hope the colts lose in the superbowl however. I very much hope that, oh yes, indeed I do.

You want to know why the Colts have JAGs all over the place? Because they have one of the most top heavy salary rosters in the league. Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, and Dallas Clark are among the highest paid players at their positions. The Colts pay Bob Sanders to sit on IR every year. The Colts also spent two first round picks on RBs yet have the worst run offense in the league and neither RB is better than a situational RB. The Colts are all about Manning. Without Manning and this team is an 8 win team at best.

As for the Patriots, they turned over half of their defense in the offseason, Brady was coming off of a major injury that some predicted would keep him out of 2009 all together, a new offensive signal caller, and injuries throughout the o-line and to Moss. Yet, they still won their division and went 10-6. It wasn't a great season, but stop acting like the Pats went 6-10.

As for your posts, I am not just talking this thread. I am talking all the threads you have posted on. You haven't said one remotely positive thing about the Patriots. All you have done is biatched about how Belichick has lost it and Brady is no longer good. That is a troll in my eyes.

I thought about replying but there just isn't any point. I honestly wonder if you're just a kid who recently discovered the game, not to mention this team...because you post as if all of this is new to you and you truly lack any rational perspective.

You want to know why the Colts have JAGs all over the place? Because they have one of the most top heavy salary rosters in the league. Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, and Dallas Clark are among the highest paid players at their positions. The Colts pay Bob Sanders to sit on IR every year. The Colts also spent two first round picks on RBs yet have the worst run offense in the league and neither RB is better than a situational RB. The Colts are all about Manning. Without Manning and this team is an 8 win team at best.

As for the Patriots, they turned over half of their defense in the offseason, Brady was coming off of a major injury that some predicted would keep him out of 2009 all together, a new offensive signal caller, and injuries throughout the o-line and to Moss. Yet, they still won their division and went 10-6. It wasn't a great season, but stop acting like the Pats went 6-10.

As for your posts, I am not just talking this thread. I am talking all the threads you have posted on. You haven't said one remotely positive thing about the Patriots. All you have done is biatched about how Belichick has lost it and Brady is no longer good. That is a troll in my eyes.

8 Wins at best without Manning?

I would say 3 or 4 wins at best without Manning - AT BEST

Peyton Manning is to the Colts what a transmission is to a car or what rain is to a farmer - A car won't run without a transmission and a farmer won't have anything to sell without it ever raining. - Manning even helps the defense by keeping his offense on the field much of most games,the guy is amazing and he is today what Brady was in 2001-2004 (and some of 2007)

We may all hate him as a supreme challenge of a QB but I can safely say most of us respect the hell out of him and no one makes a Patriot fan more scared than when #18 is out there and facing our defense.

Last edited:

Where's the news here? Manning just won his 4th MVP, owns or will own every QB record in the books and is taking his team to his second SB in the last four seasons. Of course he'll be "the highest paid player in the league" with a new contract coming up this year. The only "news" would have been if Isray had said anything else.

Irrespective of Manning's deal, I think the Pats will do what they always do and pay Brady what they think #12 is worth to them, which, presumably, is a boatload of money.

I don't think the Krafts will be expecting Brady to take too much of a hometown discount, maybe a little, but not too much. I think they know that this is his Retirement contract and that they're going to have to pay up.

I don't agree with those who argue the Pats can get away with paying him a lot less because "Gisele makes a lot of money" or "Brady's already rich." The guy is an immense talent with the heart of a Champion and should be paid what he's worth. 2008 reminds us how fragile an NFL career is.

Personally, I see him finishing his career with New England. But, if he can't get the deal he deserves, I wouldn't hold it against him if he walks.

Last edited:

2005 - Choked against a worse Broncos team. Jake Plummer for crying out loud
2006 - Choked in the AFC Title game
2007 - Choked in the Super Bowl
2008 - QB got injured, defense was still terrible but whatever, mulligan\
2009 - 10-6, BLOWN OUT in the 1st round

Do you really want us to run down the Clots chokes over the past decade?

Re: 2006 - The league apologized for calls made against the Pats in that game. That's all I'm going to say.

You feetie PJ Pats fans really live in a bubble. I mean get a sense. Folks, not a great team. Everyone's criticism is legit but the defense not so much. And stop clinging to the 3 in 4 years crap that was almost 6 years ago.

It's been a good run. They won 3 they should have won 5 but I guess we are lucky they won 3.

2005 - Choked against a worse Broncos team. Jake Plummer for crying out loud
2006 - Choked in the AFC Title game
2007 - Choked in the Super Bowl
2008 - QB got injured, defense was still terrible but whatever, mulligan\
2009 - 10-6, BLOWN OUT in the 1st round

Move on folks, got watch your 3 weeks to victory and except that the Pats were a great team but organizationally have screwed things up in the draft and free agency. Now they are on the brink. The ownership is more concerned about the CBA then a championship and that should be the anger on this board. But you nutball, blind, ignorant, homers sit there and post and post, "who you gonna believe me or your lying eyes." Get a damn clue will you.

And your big comeback is insults. Try arguments that include facts.

So the Pats have won have had double digit wins five years straight, 4 division titles, been to two AFC Championships, been to one Super Bowl, and had a perfect regular season during a five year stretch. I defy you to name five teams that have done better than the Pats between 2005 and 2009. I'm waiting. Not going to find more than three because at least until Sunday there is not more than three (Pittsburgh, the Colts, and the Giants with potentially the Saints added to that list).

Yes, it is disapointing the Pats have not won a Super Bowl since 2004, but there are about 27-28 other teams that would like to have the failures the Pats have had the last five years. I know Pats fans have this sense of entitlement and feel any year they don't win the Super Bowl is a major disaster, but reality is it isn't.

Sorry, you cannot win every year and even Montana and Walsh had to take 9 years to get 3 Super Bowl wins(their first together was in the 81 season and their together last was in the 88 season). Montana had 12 years in between his first and last (fourth) Super Bowl ring. If Manning wins this weekend, he would have a starter for 11 years to get his second ring.

As for the CBA crap, you are condemning Kraft before he even has a chance to make a single move in the offseason. It is like sentencing a person to death for a murder he is going to committ.

I call you a troll because that is what you are. You have 45 posts and all of them are anti-Patriots. What else can we call you? You have provided nothing to the conversation other than vile and biased crap.

Last edited:

I heard Polian said "Good morning" to someone today, then Irsay also said "Good morning", too.

What a cheap veiled insult to the Patriot organization. What a douche, good morning, oh ya I'm sure THAT is just a greeting or something, nice try, choker. How in the hell does Polian think "Good Morning" doesn't mean anything other than a dis to the entire New England organizaton.
Oh for sure, it's code to the Referee crew that the PI calls are on this weekend, but it's also a direct slam to TB and BB. Again, what a douche. Good Morning, wow.

:) More for comedic effect than anything. Back to lurking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back