PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Irsay - Luck signed through 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that money for a QB that has failed to take them to the SB in 5 years.
I look at him as another failure.

Normally, getting to the playoffs would be a decent achievement, but that has come against some truly woeful competition in a 4 team division. Now that those other 3 teams are improving we may see a change in the Indy dominance, with or without Luck.

Suck FOR Luck has become Suck IS Luck.

Did I see someone here call him the 3rd QB in the NFL? Is that 3rd from the top or from the bottom.

Imagine how much Luck could get paid if he was a really good quarterback??
The thing to imagine is what would Luck be getting paid if he were going in to free agency and every NFL team could make a bid on him? IND is signing him two years before he's too expensive to control (one option year and one franchise year) which is pretty much the norm. If he were a true free agent like Suh or Ostweiler, some crap team would instantly mortgage their future on him and blow the doors off the deal Luck just got.

Normally, getting to the playoffs would be a decent achievement, but that has come against some truly woeful competition in a 4 team division. Now that those other 3 teams are improving we may see a change in the Indy dominance, with or without Luck.

I don't have an issue with Luck getting the contract he received. That's the nature of salaries. He's at the highest paid position in the game and his agent is going to try and top the last major QB deal. Whichever young QB comes up for a new contract after Luck will get paid more.

The highlighted portion is why I would be concerned if I was a rational Colts fan. If one of Houston, Jacksonville or Tennessee gets their act together on a consistent basis, the Colts are going to have to work to make the playoffs. We've routinely heard how this is the year that Buffalo, Miami or New York steps up and knocks off the Patriots in the division. The Patriots have had the talent, coaching, and fortitude to fend off these challenges.

During Luck's 4 years, the Colts haven't had to worry about that. Over that time, the Colts have lost a total of 4 divisional games, including last season, when Luck missed 9 games. I realize it's asking a lot to expect the Jaguars, Titans, or Texans to be competent opponents, but if Indianapolis can't count on an average divisional record of 5-1 each season, who knows how they'll react. Can Pagano and Luck re-focus the team after they lose a tough divisional game and then have to face a 2015 playoff team like the Chiefs or Steelers? If they can, then the Colts will be one of the consistent playoff teams in the AFC. If they can't, then Luck is going to go into Matt Ryan "talented-but-flawed" territory. If that happens, the Colts are going to have to start making up accusations about the Jaguars or Texans to try and derail them.

NFL players have to feel some type of way when they see the types of contracts marginal NBA guys get. The fact that the contracts aren't guaranteed is one of the biggest jokes in sports

NFL players have to feel some type of way when they see the types of contracts marginal NBA guys get. The fact that the contracts aren't guaranteed is one of the biggest jokes in sports

Kind of a joke when you think of it. When you consider the punishment their bodies take over their careers, football players, hockey players, and maybe UFC fighters should all be the highest paid athletes in America. Not baseball players and basketball players.

Kind of a joke when you think of it. When you consider the punishment their bodies take over their careers, football players, hockey players, and maybe UFC fighters should all be the highest paid athletes in America. Not baseball players and basketball players.

Maybe football players shouldn't be the highest paid, there are so many more players and less games for a NYJFL team, but certainly they should have more injury protection. As it stands now the players take all the risks and the owners have none. It's no wonder that even an assclown like Goodell can make that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back