PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Irsay - Luck signed through 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
this insures that Brady and Bill will kick his ass for at least 6 more years

If I know that there is a ceiling that my company can pay to all its staff PLUS I am in competition with other companies for a ultimate prize. Yes, I do think it's selfish

And you know that the boss is raking in a bajillion dollarydoos off of your work while only paying a small percentage to the people that make it happen.

And you know that the boss is raking in a bajillion dollarydoos off of your work while only paying a small percentage to the people that make it happen.
Hey man, that's the system... Luck's salary doesn't change how much money Irsay will win, he will still pay the salary cap at most; Luck's salary will only affects his peers, who now have to take a smaller share of the cap and thus making his team less competitive. Like I said, demanding to be the highest paid player is selfish, even though understandable.

Last edited:
And how exactly do you "make" a team trade you in the NFL?

Plus your argument makes no sense. If you think he is in danger of getting hurt, then doing what he did is the smart thing. He has got guaranteed dollars up front, and can also buy an insurance policy against the value remaining on the contract.

Not neccesarily hurt but killed. Literally his injuries last year as I said before weren't child's play. He got killed last year. What did they do to help improve that? Basically nothing. How do you make a team trade you?

Hold out.

Not neccesarily hurt but killed. Literally his injuries last year as I said before weren't child's play. He got killed last year. What did they do to help improve that? Basically nothing. How do you make a team trade you?

Hold out.
Ah, so you think the better option for him is to go full blown scorched earth, instead of taking the richest contract in the NFL. Interesting. Can't say I agree that holding out is in his best interest when the alternative is, you know, signing the richest NFL contract.

Can you give some examples of when holding out has helped a prominent QB secure a trade?

SMH.. The Colts have got to be one of the worst run franchises.. Paying $25M per year for Andrew Luck? Guy hasn't proven a damn thing..

i'm afraid it's the sad realty of the future NFL. When a QB like Osweiller gets 18 million, why not Luck at 25 million? Good QBs are going to command that kind of money now. I wonder how Belichick will manage the cap in the future. We're lucky to have TB12 who will take a pay cut just to win another super bowl.

It's reported that he will be the highest paid player in the NFL.

I honestly feel so grateful for having Brady. He could demand so much money, and yet he understands the implications of being monetary selfishness

The best part about TB? Can you imagine the pressure his friends and family give him to get the most money he can, and yet he still gives a team friendly contract. Amazing. Very VERY few people would do the same.

It will be worse. What you think? 30ish per?

Luck is a fool for signing anything though. He'd be better off away from that pill popping nut job. I know the franchise tag is there but there are ways around that but whatever. It will cripple that sad sack franchise even more.

I hope Luck will eventually move on from Indy.......and sign with a certain team right after that team puts on ring #7 at the same time the entire northeast is shut down in celebration of the retirement of their legendary GOAT QB. :)

Side note, not sure why Luck is knocked for signing a maximum lucrative contract. Isn't this his first 'FA/approaching FA' contract? Nothing wrong whatsoever with Luck maximizing his first contract of this type. IMHO it would be foolish to do otherwise. Once he has FU money he can then weigh victory against leaving a bit of the FU money on the table for his next contract.

Deion Branch might have some insight there.
Deion Branch could give tremendous insight on how to force a trade when you are a #2 (on most teams) WR who never broke 1,000 yards or 5 TDs receiving.

However, I doubt his advice would be even remotely relevant for a QB whose management and coaches feel is the best young QB in the NFL. If you think they'd let Luck go the way the Patriots let Branch go, you've got another thing coming.

Deion Branch could give tremendous insight on how to force a trade when you are a #2 (on most teams) WR who never broke 1,000 yards or 5 TDs receiving.

However, I doubt his advice would be even remotely relevant for a QB whose management and coaches feel is the best young QB in the NFL. If you think they'd let Luck go the way the Patriots let Branch go, you've got another thing coming.

I agree with you in the sense that IND would never allow one of the best (if not "the" best) young/up and coming QBs to leave.

The difference of course, is that N.England does not want players here who don't want to be here, and that is totally understandable.

I agree with you in the sense that IND would never allow one of the best (if not "the" best) young/up and coming QBs to leave.

The difference of course, is that N.England does not want players here who don't want to be here, and that is totally understandable.
They kept Ty Law against his will in 2004. I think trading Branch had more to do with the fact they got a first rounder for a #2 WR (on most teams) with 1 year left on his contract. That's a good trade for NE.

He's a free agent again at 32, if the Colts haven't built a championship caliber roster by then, that's when he'll leave.

I think Luck is a very good QB, but he is arguably one of the most overrated player in the NFL. He has been living off his predraft expectations and not his on the field production. People talk about him as an upgrade to Peyton Manning, but in reality he is a slightly lesser version of Brett Favre.

Yes, it is stupid to let the guy go because he is a top 5-7 QB in this league, but he is not Rodgers or Brady or even Roethlisberger or Newton. He shouldn't be the highest paid player in this league, but I guess this is how the NFL works.

Been using that Favre comparison for a few years now because it's sooooo accurate.

Some of you are going to be in for a very rude awakening when Brady retires. Some of the posts around here act like you expect top quarterbacks (i.e. - the most important position in football) to do what Brady does. Newsflash: Brady is the only guy that does what Brady does. When he's gone and, should this franchise take a big **** for a few years, some of you will be begging for a quarterback that gives the team a chance and will probably cheer a signing that locks him up, no matter how big it is. That's just the way the league works now. Appreciate what Brady does because we more than likely will never see that again.

Some of you are going to be in for a very rude awakening when Brady retires. Some of the posts around here act like you expect top quarterbacks (i.e. - the most important position in football) to do what Brady does. Newsflash: Brady is the only guy that does what Brady does. When he's gone and, should this franchise take a big **** for a few years, some of you will be begging for a quarterback that gives the team a chance and will probably cheer a signing that locks him up, no matter how big it is. That's just the way the league works now. Appreciate what Brady does because we more than likely will never see that again.

Although Brady is irreplaceable, there is no guarantee the Pats will take a huge step back when he is gone. The Packers were lucky enough to get Rodgers. The Steelers were a contender before Roethlisberger and even with crap QBs.

I think people are crapping on how overrated and now overpaid Luck is. But he isn't alone. Osweiller got a ridiculous contract this offseason. The Ravens ruined their team at least for the short term overpaying Flacco because he was a Super Bowl winner even though he is a mediocre regular season QB.

I don't blame the Colts for locking up Luck. He is a top 10 QB in this league (not or barely top 5 though). He could improve to be a top 2 or 3, but I think he could be regressing. I just think it is ridiculous money for a guy who is more media hype than actual production.

Luck may be the third best QB in his class by the end of next season. Wilson's outplayed him in nearly every QB metric and proved last season he can be an elite passer. Meanwhile, Cousins had nearly 70% comp. pct. and 34 TDs to 11 INTs in his first season as a starter.

That draft may have produced the next Tarkenton, the next Brees, and as @Rob0729 puts it, a worse Favre.

Although Brady is irreplaceable, there is no guarantee the Pats will take a huge step back when he is gone. The Packers were lucky enough to get Rodgers. The Steelers were a contender before Roethlisberger and even with crap QBs.

I think people are crapping on how overrated and now overpaid Luck is. But he isn't alone. Osweiller got a ridiculous contract this offseason. The Ravens ruined their team at least for the short term overpaying Flacco because he was a Super Bowl winner even though he is a mediocre regular season QB.

I don't blame the Colts for locking up Luck. He is a top 10 QB in this league (not or barely top 5 though). He could improve to be a top 2 or 3, but I think he could be regressing. I just think it is ridiculous money for a guy who is more media hype than actual production.

That's why I said should this franchise take a huge ****. Of course there is no guarantee it will happen right after Brady is gone. But it will happen one day. And, when that next guy comes along, the same people acting as if taking a pay cut is something every quarterback SHOULD be doing and acting like Luck is selfish for taking this kind of pay day will gladly pay the next guy top dollar to keep him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back