PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Irsay - Luck signed through 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Luck is a very good QB, but he is arguably one of the most overrated player in the NFL. He has been living off his predraft expectations and not his on the field production. People talk about him as an upgrade to Peyton Manning, but in reality he is a slightly lesser version of Brett Favre.

Yes, it is stupid to let the guy go because he is a top 5-7 QB in this league, but he is not Rodgers or Brady or even Roethlisberger or Newton. He shouldn't be the highest paid player in this league, but I guess this is how the NFL works.
I mean it at least makes more sense than Flacco.

At one point, Eli Manning (!!) was the highest paid player in the NFL, so this doesn't surprise me.

But I bet there's a "PLEASE SLIDE OR THROW THE BALL AWAY INSTEAD OF TAKING HITS" stipulation in Luck's contract. Lol

Selfishness?
Uhn, yeah, he could've been the type of QB to ask for a lot of money (Being selfish, in a way), but he doesn't, since he rather have a competitve team.

ALL GOOD PLAYERS BUT OVERRATED

QB - LUCK
RB - MURRAY
LT- EUGENE MONROE
RT- ERIC FISHER
C- POUNCEY
RG- BEADLES
LG- D’BRICKASHAW FERGUSON
WR- DTHOMAS
WR- MIKE WALLACE
TE - J THOMAS

Uhn, yeah, he could've been the type of QB to ask for a lot of money (Being selfish, in a way), but he doesn't, since he rather have a competitve team.

Do you think anyone who tries to maximize their salary where you work is selfish too?

It's reported that he will be the highest paid player in the NFL.

I honestly feel so grateful for having Brady. He could demand so much money, and yet he understands the implications of being monetary selfishness

Whats REALLY weird is that Irsay and also Colts fans in general LOVE the fact that he's going to be the highest paid NFL player.. for them its like some sort of validation that he's the best player in the NFL.. it was the same thing with Manning, they would brag on their forum about how Manning was paid higher than anyone, more specifically Brady, and then proceed to use that as proof that he was better/the best..

Its such a weird culture that they've developed down there in Indy... Why would you want to pay Luck more money than anyone in the history of the game when he only has 4 seasons under his belt, 1 of which he missed the majority of with injuries and his 40+ year old backup had a higher winning percentage than him

That organization is despicable and their fan base is reprehensible

Last edited:
this is what happens if you are not a team-first player like brady

Do you think anyone who tries to maximize their salary where you work is selfish too?
If I know that there is a ceiling that my company can pay to all its staff PLUS I am in competition with other companies for a ultimate prize. Yes, I do think it's selfish

It will be worse. What you think? 30ish per?

Luck is a fool for signing anything though. He'd be better off away from that pill popping nut job. I know the franchise tag is there but there are ways around that but whatever. It will cripple that sad sack franchise even more.

A fool? He just become the highest paid player in the NFL. Would you turn down that kind of offer?

Now watch out for Brady demanding $50 mill per year.

SMH.. The Colts have got to be one of the worst run franchises.. Paying $25M per year for Andrew Luck? Guy hasn't proven a damn thing..

Just over $23m a year over 6 years, isn't even as much as people were talking about and the cap is going up $10m a year.

In 2 years he might not even be in the top 5 highest paid QBs.

I would rather pay Luck at 26 and wait for the decline of Brady and Big Ben then have a chance to win a ring down the line than let him walk and end up in QB hell.

He's only being paid $1.2m more a year than Flacco is currently, that's not a huge jump.

A fool? He just become the highest paid player in the NFL. Would you turn down that kind of offer?

Yep. Remember Chris Simms? Terrible line, terrible team and he almost died. I'd make him trade me, and some team would pay the ransom and get basically the equivalent, plus most likely (hopefully) a better life expectancy.

Heck, Luck is probably lucky he's still playing after last year. Those injuries weren't child's play if you remember. And nothing was done to improve the team and his cap hit will be prohibitive.

So, no...I would have done something else.

Yep. Remember Chris Simms? Terrible line, terrible team and he almost died. I'd make him trade me, and some team would pay the ransom and get basically the equivalent, plus most likely (hopefully) a better life expectancy.

Heck, Luck is probably lucky he's still playing after last year. Those injuries weren't child's play if you remember. And nothing was done to improve the team and his cap hit will be prohibitive.

So, no...I would have done something else.

Like what? They could of tied him up for another 3 years with the tag.

Good breakdown of all the QB salaries for 2016 NFL's richest contracts for 2016

from overthecap.com
cap hits
2016 - 18.4
2017 - 19.4
2018 - 24.4
2019 - 27.5
2020 - 28.4
2021 - 21

doesn't get ridiculous until later in the contract when they can restructure or overall cap can go up a bit in that time. don't think it's a *bad* contract, they are forced to pay him that or start all over with an unknown at the most important position. ~20M is the going rate for a good qb.

And how exactly do you "make" a team trade you in the NFL?

Plus your argument makes no sense. If you think he is in danger of getting hurt, then doing what he did is the smart thing. He has got guaranteed dollars up front, and can also buy an insurance policy against the value remaining on the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes