PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Interview with the Kraken

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Greg Hardy, aka "the Kraken", was one of my favorite prospects in 2009-2010. At one time considered a 1st round prospect, Hardy had injury issues and at one point was briefly kicked off the Mississippi team. He did a free fall in the 2010 draft, going #175 overall in the 6th round to Carolina. He's become an impact player with 26 sacks in the last 2 years, and is considered along with Jimmy Graham one of the top 2 players to be UFAs this year. He's been the one guy I would most love to add to the Pats for a while, but there's essentially 0% chance he gets out of Carolina.

Hardy has terrific explosiveness (36" VJ, 10'1" BJ) and excellent movement skills for a 290# DE. He plays inside as well as outside for the Panthers.

Robert Klemko of Peter King's MMQB series interviewed Hardy recently. While it's a bit OT, I thought it was worth posting on the draft forum, as we look at guys who could possibly slip in a deep, deep draft:

Greg Hardy is The MMQB's top-ranked free agent this offseason | The MMQB with Peter King

Some memorable lines:

Klemko: You were humbled by the draft. Were you as confident then as you are now?

Hardy: I haven’t cried a lot in my life, but I cried a little bit. I was hurt. I wasn’t drafted in the sixth round because of my ability. After my third year I was the number 1 prospect. Even after my senior year, I was projected as a third-rounder. I still don’t understand what happened. It hurt, but I was still confident, because that’s not based on my athletic ability.

Klemko: What else sets you off?

Hardy: Hands to the face. Hits after the whistle. Falling on me after the whistle blows. You know how many times I’ve been chop blocked after the whistle blows?

Klemko: Is it a result of you talking trash?

Hardy: I think its because O-linemen are naturally dirty, nasty, disgusting fat people.

Klemko: I respect that you don’t talk about your family in interviews. What’s been the most difficult part of your life, thus far?

Hardy: I came from Memphis, didn’t have nothing, lived in a trailer. I would say the most difficult thing was having nothing, the thought of going back to having nothing, and how that would make my parents feel. When you don’t have anything there’s a look. It doesn’t matter how strong you are; at some point when you’re kids are growing up, they can see it in your face. The hurt, the pain, the struggle. My parents never really showed pain but you could see the struggle in their faces. I hated it. I hated having to wear the same New Balances to every single sporting event. I never want to go back to zero. I want to be revered. I want to be seen as a well-rounded guy. That’s what motivates me.

Klemko: And what if it all ended tomorrow?

Hardy: If it ended tomorrow, if my career was done, I’d find another way to make a billion so we can keep eating. These are some hungry boys.

My favorite part:

Klemko: You exploded in 2012 as a pass rusher, and improved in 2013. What changed?

Hardy: The preparation became more important for me. Once you realize that being good or great is not good enough—because legendary is attainable—you’ve got to make it important. I made winning, and not making excuses, important to me. I’d go to sleep instead of partying. I’d work out more even if I was partying and drunk, starting my second year. I was working after workouts and practices my rookie year, too, but I did more. I did the extra reps on top of the extra reps. In the offseason you don’t have to do anything if you’re talented enough, but I started taking the offseason seriously. As it became more important, the work became more natural. As a result, my level is unprecedented right now. I haven’t found a ceiling yet.

It's a nice interview, that gives a good sense of how strong the fire burns in Hardy's belly. That kind of talent + that kind of drive generally turns into something special.

And then there's this: "Back then I wasn’t the Kraken… I was just the Land Shark." :rofl:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back