PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: interesting comment about the boston media

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/

Peter Gammons was on ESPN Radio (MP3 file) with Dan Patrick last week during the Daisuke Matsuzaka talks and had these interesting comments:

Peter Gammons: …Boston is such a mean-spirited city, that you get…the media is praying for him to be hit hard – or a lot of it, and I think that there are fans, that just, they want to prove that boy it’s tough to play …we’re really tough – it’s tough to play in Boston.

Dan Patrick: You think the Boston media wants him to get roughed up?

Gammons: Oh, I think a lot of it does, yeah.

Patrick: It’s just a better story?

Gammons: Yeah, it’s a better story, I just think there’s a Les Misérables cult in Boston, moreso than any city in the United States. Moreso than Philadelphia moreso than any other city…

he probably mentions the baseball media but could be also talking about general sports media.

Edit:
also found this interesting bit from kubiak on the same page
The way the Patriots handle the injury report has been a source of criticism from frustrated media types and opponents such as Bill Polian. For this reason, Gary Kubiak's comments on the Patriots use of the list are worth noting here:

Kubiak said Friday that the Patriots’ methods make them one of the tougher teams to prepare for in the National Football League.

“I’ll tell you one thing about them. You’re not going to know a lot heading into the game,” Kubiak said. “They don’t tell you much. It makes them difficult to prepare for. They have some guys banged up, but you don’t when they’re coming back.

“You don’t know when Rodney is coming back, or the nose (tackle Vince Wilfork), or the running back (Laurence Maroney). None of them could be back or all of them could be back. There have been a few times I’ve played them when you didn’t what they were going to do. I think that’s one reason why they’ve been so successful.”

Some have called the Patriots’ ways tricky, others go as far as cheating, but few in the NFL have a problem with how Belichick and Co. handles their business.

“No, I think they do it exactly the way it should be done,” Kubiak said when asked if the Patriots stretch the rules with their injury report. “They do it fine, very smart on their part. It makes it difficult on your part, but that’s the way the game is.”

The media types are irritated that Belichick worries more about getting an advantage on his opponents and perhaps winning an extra game per year.

They would much rather have him lose that advantage and have the home town team LOSE a game a year, if it made their job which is supposedly covering the team, a bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back