PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Integrity of the Game? End of Ravens Game (youtube..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you add loss of down, none of these schemes work, because the Ravens can still do things the same way they did yesterday - they run all the time off the clock, Bengals accept the penalty, Ravens use the new down to take a knee 10 yards back from the previous play.

That's why the rule should be that the team accepting the penalty can optionally elect to have the time put back on the clock.

Wait, what? The refs are now empowered to penalize a team for being unfair, even if their actions are within the rules? And their decision to do so is a subjective call? Is that what I just read?

And another one of these ##$&* League "memos" that is a sad and indefensible substitution for actual rule changes and their own standardized processes for doing so?

This suddenly takes on another color altogether.

The "palpably unfair act" power of the refs has been in the rules for decades and decades.

Why does everybody keep saying "well, it's within the rules"? Isn't the whole point that they're committing multiple, deliberate, flagrant rule violations? They knew that they couldn't be punished, but that doesn't make their play legal.

Why does everybody keep saying "well, it's within the rules"? Isn't the whole point that they're committing multiple, deliberate, flagrant rule violations? They knew that they couldn't be punished, but that doesn't make their play legal.
I think the idea is that they weren't doing something beyond what is covered by normal penalty procedures.

I think the idea is that they weren't doing something beyond what is covered by normal penalty procedures.

I'm not so sure. It seems to me that a coordinated, coach-directed ballet of simultaneous illegal plays goes beyond normal penalty procedures to unsportsmanlike conduct. IMO it should be a "palpably unfair act" every time.

EDIT: Nothing else in the rulebook is fair exactly once, but then it gets to be a little too much. That's just nonsense, dear NFL.

Good for Harbaugh. Leveraging the rules in situational football. Maybe hes going to learn the rulebook instead of whining.
They did this back in the Super Bowl.

I'm not so sure. It seems to me that a coordinated, coach-directed ballet of simultaneous illegal plays goes beyond normal penalty procedures to unsportsmanlike conduct. IMO it should be a "palpably unfair act" every time.

EDIT: Nothing else in the rulebook is fair exactly once, but then it gets to be a little too much. That's just nonsense, dear NFL.
To me, only a problem if the rulebook says it can't be done....if not, it's exactly what we'd applaud if the Pats did it. (The Ravens hypocrisy, as others have said, is the problem here.)

I understand why @Joker posted this. The hypocrisy of Harbaugh not only employing this loophole in the rules, but then patting himself on the back so gratutitously in the post game presser that he'll probably need rotator cuff surgery next week, is just beyond the pale. Clearly the guy is so self absorbed that he failed to see how ludicrous it made him look. Did he think people just forgot his embarassing actions after the playoff loss to the Pats? :rolleyes:

I have come to hate the Ravens much more than the Jets, and when the time comes, they are a team I pray we blow out. The Jets are a sad lot that has attempted to hurt our franchise on several occasions, have obnoxious NY fans and deserve a special place in our pantheon of hate. But over recent years they have devolved into such ridiculousness that it is to be pitied as much as hated. On the other hand, the Ravens are an organization that appears to be dripping with a competent evil. THEY are the ones who actually started the deflategate injustice. They are the one who erect statues to murderers. They are the ones who will smile at you while stabbing you in the back. They are a team who shows us no respect. And I hate the fact they won a superbowl with a strategy of throwing deep balls and hoping for the ref to bail you out.

Well you get the idea. I don't like the Ravens, their players, their HC, and their owner. They all can go to that special place in hell that is reserved for their ilk.

And sorry about the rant. In the end it was a smart play by the Ravens, and gross hypocrisy by Harbaugh.

What exactly is the punishment for such heinous crimes?
Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score. See 15-1-6

Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score. See 15-1-6
Looking forward to Denver winning a game this way. Also, shouldn't this have been called after the Mike Triplin incident?

There's a very simple solution to all this nonsense: Inside 60 seconds remaining, give the non-offending team the option to restore all time to the clock that the play with the penalty took (including the regular enforcement of the penalty as well).

Looking forward to Denver winning a game this way. Also, shouldn't this have been called after the Mike Triplin incident?
When that event happened, I was screaming at the TV that the referee has the authority to award the touchdown and that that is what he should have done. However, he didn't have the guts to make that call.

I believe all replay restrictions get thrown out the window when adjudicating a palpably unfair act, but don't quote me on that.

When that event happened, I was screaming at the TV that the referee has the authority to award the touchdown and that that is what he should have done. However, he didn't have the guts to make that call.

I believe all replay restrictions get thrown out the window when adjudicating a palpably unfair act, but don't quote me on that.
Can the refs dock draft picks during a game?

They did this back in the Super Bowl.
Ok, so he's not being original. I was almost impressed for a second. Along with the palpably unfair/unsportsnanlike rules, you guys convinced me that it's a dubious play.

My standpoint was more that Harbaugh can go ahead and be a hypocrite for leveraging the rules, but I'm not going to be one by condemning it.

I was thinking that it was comparable to purposely taking a delay of game while trying to draw the defense offsides on a 4th down when the 5 yards doesn't affect a punt. Or pulling down a receiver when a cb knows he's getting burned on a double move with no safety help. Intentional fouls, but more commonplace.

Ok, so he's not being original. I was almost impressed for a second. Along with the palpably unfair/unsportsnanlike rules, you guys convinced me that it's a dubious play.

My standpoint was more that Harbaugh can go ahead and be a hypocrite for leveraging the rules, but I'm not going to be one by condemning it.

I was thinking that it was comparable to purposely taking a delay of game while trying to draw the defense offsides on a 4th down when the 5 yards doesn't affect a punt. Or pulling down a receiver when a cb knows he's getting burned on a double move with no safety help. Intentional fouls, but more commonplace.
I'm looking at this from my point of view as a soccer referee. Similar behavior in a similar situation will lead to at least nine yellow cards to players (punter and I think personal protector were not involved) and a yellow to the head coach as it brings the game into disrepute. The biggest correction at the FIFA/USSF level is the clock is kept on the referee's wrist. We can add time for as long as we believe the cynical fouling took away (and a few extra seconds as well). NCAA we don't have that power. I am also shocked that none of the Bengal players either realized what was happening and started to punch an opponent in the hope of drawing a defensive penalty as well or levelled an opponent for the hell of it.

If I was a Bengals coach, I would not be sad if several of my edge rushers decided to hit the punter high and low late in a rematch. I'll take the 15 yards and put my defense out there to impose a cost on a cheap play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes