PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT in round 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Light's retirement is no surprise , although it wouldn't appease the masses a premium offensive lineman wouldn't push me over the edge. Vollmer is in his walk year and has a gimpy back, Waters may retire.

I don't know if you could ever have enough offensive linemen.

Wouldn't surprise me terribly. We are weak at tackle beyond Solder/Vollmer. Can you imagine if BB had not shocked everyone by taking an OL at 17 last year?

Who will be there at #27 or 31? Possibly Jonathan Martin?

Last edited:
I agree with the OP's sentiments.

Riley Reiff (short arms) may fall (we wish)
Jon Martin should be around..
Mike Adams of Ohio State is the only other tackle in and around the 1st round.

There are a few G's though....

We could use a guy but round one is overkill with Solder and Vollmer already there. We have Cannon plus a PS guy who won several "Practice Player of the Week" awards. Can't see a #1 just to have him on the bench.

Round 3 ? More likely.

Absolutely not in the first round.

Agree. We're not good enough defensively to take a backup OT in the 1st round. We have 2 left tackles in Solder and Vollmer. Cannon is the backup at RT. Robert Gallery can play T in an emergency. We've got Koppen, Connolly, Mankins, Gallery and Waters manning the interior. Two decent interior backups in McDonald and Thomas. I could see an OL at 62. Don't really want to see one before that.

It is INSANE to use a first round pick for your #4 OT. Just as it would be equally insane to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick for that purpose.

Its amazing that its probably the same people who were advocating not re-signing Light last year, suddenly believe that we can't survive without using a #1 to replace him. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think Nate Potter in Round 3-4 sounds about right.

1st round for a 3rd/4th OT, having drafted last year one already with the 17th overall? There are much bigger needs in other positions, plus with Vollmer, Solder and Cannon there shouldn't be much problems there. Maybe a mid-rounder, 4th, maybe 5th (if we obtain one), but I don't see it happening in the 1st.

NO.

1 ~ Robert Gallery offers immense upside, now that he's been rescued from The WasteLands and delivered to the sage tutelage and wisdom of Dante The Great.

2 ~ This is an emphatically overrated and bloated O Tackle Draft Class.

3 ~ You have to go Day 3 before you get to the real values: guys with talent and upside flying under the Radar. Brother Snake mentioned Nate Potter. And there are others.

4 ~ I love O Tackles, but it would be INSANITY to burn a 1st Rounder on a 4th OT.

Interior OL (guard, possibly backup center depending on how Koppen does in training camp) for next year is a bigger 'need' than OT. Pats have been expecting this. Unless DeCastro falls into their laps (hahaha) then a developmental yet potentially versatile guy later would be better.

Interior OL (guard, possibly backup center depending on how Koppen does in training camp) for next year is a bigger 'need' than OT. Pats have been expecting this. Unless DeCastro falls into their laps (hahaha) then a developmental yet potentially versatile guy later would be better.

There is no interior O-line prospect in this draft that offers the upside that Amini Silatolu has IMO, and he can play Left Tackle in a pinch.

Yeah I wouldn't hate that pick in the 2nd. I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the 1st (e.g. Houston, Ravens.)

The only OT that appeals to me in the first round is the guy from USC and he is probably going to be the 3rd pick. Now if they went with Decastro I'd be disappointed because that means we aren't getting a rd 1 defensive player because they just traded 3 picks away. However Decastro is freaking awesome so I would probably get over it in a hurry.

Light's retirement is no surprise , although it wouldn't appease the masses a premium offensive lineman wouldn't push me over the edge. Vollmer is in his walk year and has a gimpy back, Waters may retire.

I don't know if you could ever have enough offensive linemen.

I completely agree that you can never have too many offensive lineman, but I think drafting an OL in the first round would be a knee-jerk overreaction to Light's retirement. Keep in mind the Pats drafted his replacement a year ago.

There would have to be drastically low value at multiple positions (OLB, DE, DT and S) while at the same time a dramatically high value still available at tackle to draft an OT in the first round.

IIRC Belichick said the reason he did not put Vollmer on IR last year was because he felt so highly about him; it was worth it to him to use a roster spot on him all year long with the hope that he would be able to go in January. If he feels that highly about him then that tells me that they will find a way to re-sign him. Also, if his back was so bad that he cannot be counted on in 2012 then they would have placed him on IR in 2011.

There are multiple positions on defense that are in a much greater need of an upgrade than offensive tackle is for the Patriots heading into next week's draft.

Not in the 1st but late 2nd I like Brandon Mosley OT Auburn.

He's 6'5 315 and is a former TE and DE which fits the Pats Mold for an OT.

Given a year in Dante's care should be a solid RT/Swing Tackle.

Not in the 1st but late 2nd I like Brandon Mosley OT Auburn.

He's 6'5 315 and is a former TE and DE which fits the Pats Mold for an OT.

Given a year in Dante's care should be a solid RT/Swing Tackle.
Brandon Mosley is rated the #103 overall prospect in the 2012 NFL Draft.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

At the earliest, one may consider selecting the aforementioned collegiate football prospect with the #93 overall selection, however I would prefer a wide receiver or running back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes