PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Impact of concussions on athletes being studied more closely

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdgp

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Interesting article that features some comments from Ted Johnson about the impact of concussions on the brain. I really don't want to focus on the aspect of Ted Johnson's comments in regards to the franchise in the past. Rather, I think it's really interesting from a science perspective that we're starting to better understand what does and can take place from a concussion and repeated concussions. Hopefully this will lead to better protection of athletes at all levels of competition both by rule change and equipment improvement.

DGP

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/athlete.brains/index.html

Last edited:
Yeah I saw this piece. Yet Ryan Clark can blow up players right at their heads and not face repercussions for it.

"Until recently, the best medical definition for concussion was a jarring blow to the head that temporarily stunned the senses, occasionally leading to unconsciousness. It has been considered an invisible injury, impossible to test -- no MRI, no CT scan can detect it.

But today, using tissue from retired NFL athletes culled posthumously, the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy (CSTE), at the Boston University School of Medicine, is shedding light on what concussions look like in the brain. The findings are stunning. Far from innocuous, invisible injuries, concussions confer tremendous brain damage. That damage has a name: chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

CTE has thus far been found in the brains of five out of five former NFL players. On Tuesday afternoon, researchers at the CSTE will release study results from the sixth NFL player exhibiting the same kind of damage.

"What's been surprising is that it's so extensive," said Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Bedford, Massachusetts, and co-director of the CSTE. "It's throughout the brain, not just on the superficial aspects of the brain, but it's deep inside."

The NFL (or was it college?) came out with a new helmet design. It may have been college,but if I can find the link I'll post it. I'm glad they're working on this; I agree that concussions need to be looked at more closely.

Yeah I saw this piece. Yet Ryan Clark can blow up players right at their heads and not face repercussions for it.

I've already stated the I, for soome reason, like Ryan Clark. But in this regard, don't worry. He'll get his one day in the form of a truck in the middle of the field.

Waiting for the Ted Johnson comments in 3...2....1...

The NFL (or was it college?) came out with a new helmet design. It may have been college,but if I can find the link I'll post it. I'm glad they're working on this; I agree that concussions need to be looked at more closely.

There are NFL players using new designs in helmets, but you may be thinking of the NFL pregame show in which a helmet was displayed and discussed (that was a college helmet). This article talks about some of the models.

What also needs to be addressed is that one Dentist's mouth guard. I am fairly certain that it has reduced or eliminated concussions in people who have used it.

There was a OLB in my HS that sustained a concussion. At first he seemed ok but during the ambulance ride his condition deteriorated to the point that when he arrived at the hospital he was out cold and vomiting etc...ugh. It was bad. He ended up being ok but it was nasty. Tons of tests,he was almost intubated,they watched him for aspiration pneumonia-the whole nine. Last I knew he ended up ok but still- he was 17 at the time:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots