PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: If We did Relationships like Belichick drafts

Lifer said:
Also, we wouldnt shy away from a 10 who no one else wants because shes totally insane. We would give her a shot and make it clear we would send her ass packing if she tried that nonsense here

Exactly. Get one that has all the measurables (bust-waist-hip ratios, kind demeanor, ability to read recipes) but has minor drug issues or medical problems (amputation, fibromyalgia, herpes) that reduce her value.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

This is kinda of a bad analogy. If you ask out a 10, she isn't likely she is going to turn into a 2 when you take her out. But a first round draft pick could end up playing like a seventh round pick. It happens in every draft to multiple first round picks.

I know there is a certain risk in dating woman whether they are smoking hot or plain or downright ugly. A 10 could end up being bat-crap crazy or way too high maintenance. But that risk isn't as likely as a first round draft pick being a bust.

All these schools are now coming out with studies showing second round picks are a far better gamble than first rounders. They are using hard evidence. Until I see similar studies that say dating a 6 or a 7 is a far better risk than dating a 9 or a 10, I am going to assume we are comparing apples and oranges.

BTW, sticking to the analogy, in my personal experience, the 10s are better date material than relationship material and woman who are 7s and 8s are better relationship material.

I find that 10s tend to be too high maintenance since everyone kisses up to them their whole lives and you can go crazy watching all the guys trying to hit on them. An 8 is still attractive, but do not live in this bubble where they think everyone in the world are their to tell them how wonderful they are and just give them things because they are beautiful. The 8s tend to have better personalities.

I think this analogy can be transfered to the draft. A lot of first round picks turn into busts because they don't put the effort in at the NFL level. They were the elite of the elite at every level up to that point and could thrive on their God-given talent alone. Unfortunately for them, the NFL is littered with guys who were the elite of the elite from Pop Warner all the way through college. That is why a lot of sure fire top 10 or even top 5 picks flame out.

On the flip side, the lower round picks know their opportunities at the NFL level are much less. The lower the draft pick, the fewer chances you will get. That is why you see a lot of later round picks and UDFAs play far above their talent level. They are willing to put all the extra work and listen to their coaches. That is why the Pats have hit with som many seventh rounders and UDFAs over the years.

Granted there are first rounders who work harder than anyone to be the best and late round picks who are just lazy. But we see my examples all the time.

That was a terrible analogy in the OP. :bricks:

As for BB, I doubt he needs any help with the draft or relationships lately.

images

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back