PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: How's that flyer on Dez Bryant looking now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RelocatedPatFan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Cowboys set rules for Dez Bryant

Hard to believe he (Dez) agreed to this, but what choice did he have. I guess it speaks to the types of problems characters BB is willing to take on.

• A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance
  • No drinking alcohol.
  • He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.
  • He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.
  • A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.
  • Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

Hard to believe he (Dez) agreed to this, but what choice did he have. I guess it speaks to the types of problems characters BB is willing to take on.

• A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance
  • No drinking alcohol.
  • He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.
  • A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.
  • Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

I was reading this.... first thought: Its easy to "agree" to these terms... but actually partaking in following them... we'll see.

• No drinking alcohol.

Maybe now he'll understand that if you act like an adult, you'll get treated like an adult. You want to act like an irresponsible kid, then mom & dad will ground you and take away the car keys, the X-Box, the iPod, etc.

He's an idiot.

I never thought he'd work out, on draft day i said he would implode. There were to many warning signs while he was in college.

• No drinking alcohol.

Who's gonna change his diapers, and warm his bottles up?
:confused:

• No drinking alcohol.

That sounds like a prison work-release program, no? :D

Maybe now he'll understand that if you act like an adult, you'll get treated like an adult. You want to act like an irresponsible kid, then mom & dad will ground you and take away the car keys, the X-Box, the iPod, etc.

He's an idiot.
I'd love to see the response of his teammates. I mean, how can you ,as a man, look at other people when ownership is slapping you with this type of agreement? The only way is to put evrerything you have into the program and be the best you can be.

But, does anything in his history tell you he is capable of this? Why not go the extra step and try to get him some type of life coach to show him how to be an adult.

Pretty much. But hey, the wanna be thug who figures rules don't apply to him needed a serious reality check. It's too bead they can't restrict his salary too, and reward him for good behaviour.

I'd love to see the response of his teammates. I mean, how can you ,as a man, look at other people when ownership is slapping you with this type of agreement? The only way is to put evrerything you have into the program and be the best you can be.

But, does anything in his history tell you he is capable of this? Why not go the extra step and try to get him some type of life coach to show him how to be an adult.

The military runs a similar program in each of it's branches. In the Navy, it called "being placed on restriction". I spent 2 weeks helping supervise the Restricted Barracks at NAS Brunswick, Maine many years ago.

Those guys are restricted to their barracks or place of work on base. There are at least 2 Petty Officers in the barracks as supervisors at all times. Those on restriction have their heads buzz cut, and a special ID card issued. The only places you are allowed to go to besides work are the Base Chapel, the Gym, the Dispensary & the Chow Hall. That's it.

Restriction is for what in civilian life would be a low-end misdemeanor act. It's never more than 90 days, but you can lose up to 2 month's pay as well.

What it does is act as a wake up call to those guys who are playing fast and lose with the regulations, not fitting in and basically being a disruption to their commands and shipmates. 95% of the time it works like a charm. The other 5% end up with a separation from duty under less-than-honorable conditions, or in Leavenworth.

I hope Bryant makes the most of this. If that light bulb finally goes off and he "gets it" he can be a really solid player. He has the physical skills. It's the emotional ones he needs a serious reality check with.

• No drinking alcohol.

Wonder if the Windsors are setting the same rules for Harry ...

Wonder if the Windsors are setting the same rules for Harry ...

Heh....... he's just following in the footsteps of his ancestor, the other Prince Harry. I wonder who his Falstaff, Bards and Pons are though?

So what are the consequences for violation? Maybe an orange jumpsuit for cleaning up the parking lot?

Why not go the extra step and try to get him some type of life coach to show him how to be an adult.

That actually is what it's all about for people like this -- no adult role-modeling growing up, and being "enabled" every step of the way once the athletic gifts are flashed. I saw the in-home camera feed of the moment he was drafted, and how weirdly berserk a scene it was. I remember thinking how glad I was the Pats didn't draft him.

So what are the consequences for violation? Maybe an orange jumpsuit for cleaning up the parking lot?

Ya mean being traded to the Dolphins?

Heh....... he's just following in the footsteps of his ancestor, the other Prince Harry. I wonder who his Falstaff, Bards and Pons are though?

"Once more out of my breeches!" Isn't it fun to mix football talk with British royalty talk? Like when Dennis Miller said on MNF "The Jets and the Patriots have a rivalry more bloodier and murkier than the House of Plantagenet." Yeah, that worked; well, OK, back to football:

Looks to me like Dallas is paying a lot of money for what amounts to baby-sitters. I can see them justifying that by saying "we're making expectations clear." Protecting their investment I guess. But I've gotta think it's better for the team longterm to make the player (as an adult) responsible for his own behavior, and the expense of keeping that behavior in line.

Wait! No strip clubs?! :eek:
I just checked the Bill of Rights and Lo! it's sadly NOT an enumerated right. :mad:

• No drinking alcohol.

it isn't so hard to believe he agreed; what is hard to believe is
a: he will still be able to comply and
b: that someone in the Dallas front office thought there is value added after they pay 3 Salaries for a LIVE-IN security team. Does that count against his cap hit? nanny services. it is compensation of a sort.

They knew what they were getting, on and off the field. He showing up as expected both places. Stud on the field, child off it.

Like when Dennis Miller said on MNF "The Jets and the Patriots have a rivalry more bloodier and murkier than the House of Plantagenet."
And its lines like these that make me one of the few people who actually miss Dennis Miller. ;)

What's so surprising to me was that it took them 2 years before they finally set this up.

There isn't much question about his talent, maybe now he will have a chance to realize it. If I were a Cowboys' fan, my reaction would have been, "its about time".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes