Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: How bad is it in N.E.? Check in if your power is back and you're safe.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JSn, Dec 12, 2008.

1. JSn

JSn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

2. dtbrks

dtbrks 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Was rough for a while.
    Crazy storm :eek:

3. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Crazy storm, never seen one like that in my life. My dad's yard looked like a hurricane hit it. A huge pine tree got top heavy and broke in the middle of the tree and the top half came off and landed on my dad's van. I spent all day helping him clean up and we're not close to being done...and he probably won't have power, cable, phone, ect... for several days. People coming together to help out, and check to make sure everythings ok.....one good thing is it happened now and not on Sunday when the pats are playing :D

4. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Eh...seen much worse. For example, the ice storm of '98 makes this one look like mosquito bite.

5. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

We (luckily) never lost power, eventhough lines on both ends of our street were down. It is a mess out there though, trees and powerlines down everywhere and the wind is picking up again tonight.

6. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

What's this thing called electricity?

I almost forgot today.

But there was a huge number of power lines and trees down.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  7. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

8. memento

memento On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

no power or heat in my house for the next 3 days :(

im staying with friends and family

9. theKrafty1tar

theKrafty1tar On the Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I got a text from my ex-girlfriend (still very good friends with her) up in Marlborough today- one tree fell on her house, and two others fell on her 2 cars and sliced her camper in half. She has no power or anything and has to stay with her friends for a couple weeks.

I'd really appreciate it if everyone could pray for those who had their houses destroyed and such.

10. alamo

alamo praedica numerum! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

Besides being insensitive towards people hurting because they don't have power right now, this is somewhat misleading. The news just compared this storm to the 98 storm, pointing out that in 1998 55,000 lost power in NH and today 400,000 lost power there. I am sure in some places this storm is easier than the 98 one, and vice versa in other places, that's how storms are. A key problem is that temperatures have dropped from the borderline ones which cause icing to solidly below freezing, with no chance in sight for the ice to melt for a few days.

This is a schizophrenic storm because the southeastern part of the area never got cold enough to ice up, in some places hitting the 60s. I am 10 miles roughly north of Foxboro and got extremely heavy rain but no ice. But only 20 miles north of me my relatives saw heavy icing and lost power and don't expect it back until next week. Given how torrential the rain was here, I shudder to think it what it must have been like in places where that that rain was freezing and causing trees to snap.

11. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I had no power for ten days, pipes froze, and continual days of temperatures near zero. It became a point of survival rather than an inconvenience. So based on my perception with no insensitivity meant towards others, for me personally, this one feels like a mosquito bite compared to '98!

12. Fencer

Fencer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +381 / 6 / -20

#12 Jersey

13 hours w/o power. I needed a lot of sleep anyway, as I'd just come back from a quick overseas trip and have a flu.

In unrelated news, my computer had its motherboard replaced earlier today and is crashing madly subsequently.

13. Krugman

Krugman Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Hope you folks in the Mass. area are doing ok,I know it sucks to lose power (we lost for three days after a hurricane in late sep. 03 and that was bad enough) all the best.

14. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Here I've been *****ing about having to clear 6 inches of total slush from my drive and walkway in the pouring rain. At least we never lost power up here, hope everybody's doing okay down there.

15. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are too many people living in the State compared to years ago. That makes a small problem a much bigger one. I for one would gladly accept a halt on development in the Bay State. Too crowded. There should not be that many people packed into such a small area.

16. WhiskeyBreath

WhiskeyBreath 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Isn't this state's population declining? Wouldn't surprise me because this state sucks.

17. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +593 / 6 / -1

#91 Jersey

I lucked out. I'm about a mile from the ocean about 20 miles north of Boston and because of this, I benefit from the warmer ocean temps during the winter. I also work about 15 miles west of Boston. So, in general my temps are three to ten degrees warmer than the inland areas of the state. I had driving monsoon rain all night, no ice. I drove north to Harverhill (NH/MA border) to meet a client (who has a NH office and requested to meet in the nearest area with power so he could get his wifi going again...yeah.) around 2pm and was amazed by the landscape. Once the storm pushed on and the sun came out, it was gorgeous to see the sun and the ice interacting. That said, my sister, brother in-law and thier kids are crashing at my place tonight because they lost power at home in Nashua and aren't expected to get theirs back for another day or two.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,847 / 192 / -145

Disable Jersey

Keep them all in Massachusetts and take back the ones who've already fled to New Hampshire before they ruin that state beyond all repair.

19. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

OK here....but close to Boston...the ice storm hit central MA and parts north near NH..and parts north of there...Here just rain...I have friends north of Worcestor and they had many trees down all over the place and no power..(although they have a generator so it's not as bad as some folks..) Pretty bad situation there and many inland places.

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 26 / -33

Veryk fortunate in southern RI, big wind.. lots of rain.. but we hit 62 degrees yesterday AM.. so no ice damage here.