PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Hofstra follows Northeastern, drops football program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they lost a huge money maker in the Jets who are moving their facilities out of Hofstra to the new complex in the Meadowlands. I wonder if without financial assistance of the Jets, Hofstra would have pulled their football program earlier.

FWIW, the Jets aren't moving their administration and practice facility to Meadowlands Stadium. They already built a new facility in Florham Park, NJ last year and moved in during the season (originally they had planned after last season). The Giants will continue to have all of their administration in the Meadowlands, and the Jets are still out of town (like most NFL teams, even the Colts, Steelers, Broncos, Redskins, etc. with newer stadiums - the Pats house all of their operations in Gillette, which is the exception). The only difference with Meadowlands Stadium is that it's a 50-50 ownership between the two teams, unlike Giants Stadium.

Last edited:
As an alum i'm shocked, stunned, saddened but unfortunately i'm not surprised.

Someone said it earlier, it's a disheartening growing trend that these schools in 1-aa are going this route. I remember when BU dropped their program while I was at Hofstra.

They re-did the stadium while i was there to make it 15,500 and i don't know if they ever sold a game out.

There was absolutely NO support from the student body. Noontime kickoff's on a campus where the bars closed at 4am....and...mix in Long Islanders? No freakin way they were going to a game! I should also add Hofstra is a commuter school too.

Not a ton of support from the locals either. It's just not a college football area.

My senior year we played 13 games, 9 on the road. Road trips to Portland St (oregon not maine!) Cal Poly, Youngstown OH, at Montana, at Maine at Furman and at Georgia Southern.

All of those trips were on a chartered flight. 70-players, + coaching staff, + support and boosters. It's not cheap and when you don't have any revenue coming in, you're burning money.

It's a sad state of affairs. I felt that way about BU and I feel that way about Northeastern and Hofstra.

Well, they brought Marques Colston into the NFL atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back