OT: Help Wanted to Watch the Game in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike the Brit

Minuteman Target
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my situation.

I'm flying to Berlin, arriving around 10.15 in the evening. I'm going to be moving in to an apartment. It's all fixed up and has TV but I won't be able to connect to the internet and there won't be cable. So is there a chance to watch the game?

If there are any Germans out there, do you know which channel will be showing the game and if there are any bars in Berlin that will be showing it or how to find out? I will be in Prenzlauer Berg (i.e. former East Berlin but close to the city centre, LOTs of bars and clubs in the area). By the way, I'm assuming that the game will start at 8.30 pm ET. Am I right?

Last edited:
Here's my situation.

I'm flying to Berlin, arriving around 10.15 in the evening. I'm going to be moving in to an apartment. It's all fixed up and has TV but I won't be able to connect to the internet and there won't be cable. So is there a chance to watch the game?

If there are any Germans out there, do you know which channel will be showing the game and if there are any bars in Berlin that will be showing it or how to find out? I will be in Prenzlauer Berg (i.e. former East Berlin but close to the city centre, LOTs of bars and clubs in the area). By the way, I'm assuming that the game will start at 8.30 pm ET. Am I right?

6:30 EST (New York)...not sure what that is Berlin time.

http://www.patriots.com/games/

Last edited:
6:30 EST (New York)...not sure what that is Berlin time.
it would be 12:30 at night.

Without internet, I'd be surprised it you'll be able to find a way to watch it. Hope I'm wrong, though. Do you know any other Americans in the Berlin area who have satellite and or that program that allows you to watch American TV programs anywhere you are in the world through the net? Slingbox I think it is...?

Check to see if your hotel or nearby place has NASN, North American Sports Network, which I believe is a free-to-air channel. Although we have American Forces Network on the base here, I tend to watch the games on NASN because the quality is better. Hope that helps.

Game starts at 0.30 am CET.

The national german TV station ARD is showing the game: http://sport.ard.de/sp/weitere/news200701/15/football_ard.jhtml. The announcers are probably german but better than nothing.

Or you might be able to find a bar there they have Sky Sports.

That's fantastic! You've made my day. I should have access to ARD without having to cab all over Berlin in the middle of the night to find an ex-pat (but not ex-Pat (ha! ha!)) bar. If you're in Berlin, I owe you a beer, Patsgirl!

Here's my situation.

First, sorry for my very bad bad english. But it's along time I write in english :( (specially the grammar)

I'm from Hamburg in Germany. Two broadcastings will show the games.
ARD--> sorry the page is only in german

And a cabel-TV NASN NASN

Sportsbars in Germany are rare. If there one in Berlin, I don't know. But I will ask for you in a German-Football-Forum nfl-talk.net

First, sorry for my very bad bad english. But it's along time I write in english :( (specially the grammar)

I'm from Hamburg in Germany. Two broadcastings will show the games.
ARD--> sorry the page is only in german

And a cabel-TV NASN NASN

Sportsbars in Germany are rare. If there one in Berlin, I don't know. But I will ask for you in a German-Football-Forum nfl-talk.net

Herzlichen Dank, Wulf! Es sieht so aus als ob es ein ganz nettes Sportsbar gibt -- jedoch in Kreuzberg. Das ist ein bisschen weit fuer mich. Lieber bleib ich zu Hause nach einem langen Reisetag. Willkommen am Bord!

Mike i see that you were impressed by

'Forza Patrioti della Nuova Inghilterra' ?

I know your situation... Scour the internet for expat websites

Last edited:
Absolutely! Don't you think it's pretty cool?

of course !

i Patrioti della Nuova Inghilterra devono vincere anche domenica !

Forza ! Avanti !

Not sure about Berlin;

But in Heidelberg area all the IRISH PUBS double as sports bars. They all show the NFL games. And almost always with English speaking announcers (usually NFL retirees who couldn't cut it for NBC/FOX or ESPN so announcer quality is a little poor; but it worked for the SB 2 years ago for me.)

Also usually the bars with PREMIERE SPORTS NETWORK in Germany have at least the possibility of buying a NFL package. Not all do. the bars with Premiere usually have a small 2x2 foot flag flying from the storefront that has the Premiere logo on it. Go to their website if you aren't sure what the logo looks like. Then just drive down the street find a flag and ask if they are showing the game.

Not sure about the SKY SPORTS network as that is British centered; I don't see too many bars in my area of Germany that advertise they use that. But I am sure SKY does carry the game as well.

The other choice of course is to try and find someone with AFN (which I have now at home). They will definitely show it as well. I remember 2 years ago someone on the board mentioning they went to the embassy and talked the local Marine contingent into letting them into the USMC bar in the basement. Not sure what country that was; but I would imagine the embassy in Berlin would have some kind of lounge etc.

Good luck watching the game.

Not sure about Berlin;

But in Heidelberg area all the IRISH PUBS double as sports bars. They all show the NFL games. And almost always with English speaking announcers (usually NFL retirees who couldn't cut it for NBC/FOX or ESPN so announcer quality is a little poor; but it worked for the SB 2 years ago for me.)

Also usually the bars with PREMIERE SPORTS NETWORK in Germany have at least the possibility of buying a NFL package. Not all do. the bars with Premiere usually have a small 2x2 foot flag flying from the storefront that has the Premiere logo on it. Go to their website if you aren't sure what the logo looks like. Then just drive down the street find a flag and ask if they are showing the game.

Not sure about the SKY SPORTS network as that is British centered; I don't see too many bars in my area of Germany that advertise they use that. But I am sure SKY does carry the game as well.

The other choice of course is to try and find someone with AFN (which I have now at home). They will definitely show it as well. I remember 2 years ago someone on the board mentioning they went to the embassy and talked the local Marine contingent into letting them into the USMC bar in the basement. Not sure what country that was; but I would imagine the embassy in Berlin would have some kind of lounge etc.

Good luck watching the game.

Thanks. I'll be arriving late so there won't be much chance to make arrangements/go prospecting but that shouldn't matter as it will be on ARD. My German is fine -- and, anyway, who needs the announcers (if I can't recognize Tedy Bruschi by now, I never will)? I found an ex-pats web-site and they have a meet-up in Kreuzberg which sounds good but a long way away. Anyway, to judge by their chat forum, there are some mighty disappointed Charger fans among them ... With a bit of luck it should all work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes