PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Haynesworth should be suspended for the season if not banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://home.centurytel.net/wr1157/fs.wmv

Video Link^^^

Story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2609563

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was ejected early in the third quarter Sunday after he kicked Dallas center Andre Gurode in the face. Now the tackle expects to be punished, and knows he deserves it.

"I apologize to Andre," Haynesworth said. "What I did was disgusting. It's something that should never happen. I mean, I'm not a dirty player. I don't play dirty. I have respect for the game. What I feel like is I disgraced the game, disgraced my team and disgraced my last name."

I agree - now for my offtopic response :

When I play that, and lots of other clips, instead of being able to see it all I can see is the shapes but the colors are just bright crap which makes it totally unwatchable. It's just video clips that does it - and it didn't used to on the same computer. Anyone know how I can get the settings back to the default ?

BelichickFan said:
I agree - now for my offtopic response :

When I play that, and lots of other clips, instead of being able to see it all I can see is the shapes but the colors are just bright crap which makes it totally unwatchable. It's just video clips that does it - and it didn't used to on the same computer. Anyone know how I can get the settings back to the default ?
Is it just on your videos?

Or is it for everything?

SeanBruschi54 said:
Is it just on your videos?

Or is it for everything?
Just videos. Irritating as hell.

BelichickFan said:
Just videos. Irritating as hell.
Try checking your default media player. Maybe if its just the media player sometimes you could switch from one media player to another.

EX. Windows default to.....RealPlayer/etc default.

Alos before you switch it over check you settings and so forth.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Try checking your default media player. Maybe if its just the media player sometimes you could switch from one media player to another.

EX. Windows default to.....RealPlayer/etc default.

Alos before you switch it over check you settings and so forth.
Yeah, I tried switching from RealPlayer to WMP but the same thing. It's like all the colors are washed out to a few really bright ones.

Not enough to ruin my night tonight, though :)

Let's not overreact

It's easy to generate outrage in a case like this, but let's not go overboard. I'd be satisfied with a 4 game suspension. It would cost him serious money and send a real message.

Players committing "in-game" infractions deserve a little slack, anyways. They are in the heat of battle and made a mistake. It's not premeditated. One story I saw after the game had him apologising and admitting he was very wrong. I don't know if he's truly contrite or simply realized he was in trouble, but penalize him seriously but fairly and move on, no need to dwell on it.

He stepped on his head with spikes.

I say 1 year minimum, then he has to appeal to the commissioner. The games violent enough without making it a street fight.

And mandatory steroids test every week or so.

Ban him for the season. The first head-stomp was worth 4 games/$25K the second one once his helmet obviously flew off should get him the rest of the season + money.

alamo said:
They are in the heat of battle and made a mistake. It's not premeditated.

The first time he stepped on him, I might agree, may have been a spur of the moment reaction. The second time should cost him the rest of the season.

Last edited:
I'd say two games and two forced viewings of the Miami-Houston game is apt.

letekro said:
Now you're getting into cruel and unusual punishment territory!

Suspend him for the season!

That wasn't a heat of the moment penalty it was well after the play. It wasn't an overzealous hit or a guy playing through the whistle. It was an assault with a deadly weapon. I wouldn't be opposed to criminal charges in this case.

Upon reconsideration maybe a 4 game suspension is a bit low, 6 would be better, but suspension for the season or banishment for life is too much. I have seen the interview with him after the game where he apologized and seemed contrite, and if you have seen that interview I don't understand how you can say that the original infraction wasn't in the heat of the moment.

We want football players to play with extreme emotion (look at all the complaints last week about the Patriots) and in football emotion is often just controlled violence, yet we don't make any allowances for that emotion getting out of control?

As for criminal prosecution... it's easy to say "file criminal charges" and then imagine the guy will be going to jail. But the reality is simple assault rarely gets people jail time, probation and community service is more common. A football suspension is actually a much bigger deal.

I know he's had problems in the past but my impression is he's not on probation and has had no problems for a while. And before you say "once a turd always a turd" so he deserves the hammer, remember that there's a member of the Patriots who's been arrested for assault five times, plus a bunch more arrests for robbery, DUI, etc. Most of those arrests were as a juvenile, but since he's been a pro he's received community service and that's it.

alamo said:
Upon reconsideration maybe a 4 game suspension is a bit low, 6 would be better, but suspension for the season or banishment for life is too much. I have seen the interview with him after the game where he apologized and seemed contrite, and if you have seen that interview I don't understand how you can say that the original infraction wasn't in the heat of the moment.

We want football players to play with extreme emotion (look at all the complaints last week about the Patriots) and in football emotion is often just controlled violence, yet we don't make any allowances for that emotion getting out of control?

As for criminal prosecution... it's easy to say "file criminal charges" and then imagine the guy will be going to jail. But the reality is simple assault rarely gets people jail time, probation and community service is more common. A football suspension is actually a much bigger deal.

I know he's had problems in the past but my impression is he's not on probation and has had no problems for a while. And before you say "once a turd always a turd" so he deserves the hammer, remember that there's a member of the Patriots who's been arrested for assault five times, plus a bunch more arrests for robbery, DUI, etc. Most of those arrests were as a juvenile, but since he's been a pro he's received community service and that's it.

I don't believe "once a turd always a turd" but I do believe that he stepped WAAAAAY out of bounds. There are acceptable levels of too much violence... shoving, punching, giving the QB or WR "a little extra somethin'" but this was well beyond all that. I'm glad he apologized and realized he was wrong, it shows a lot of character but doesn't change the act.

Also, I'm a police officer and painfully aware that nothing significant will happen as a result of his arrest. I'm not saying it should happen but I'm not opposed either.

I think a season suspension is appropriate.

BTW, kudos to Jeff Fischer for his immediate and stern response. I just hope he follows up on it.

jeffd said:
BTW, kudos to Jeff Fischer for his immediate and stern response. I just hope he follows up on it.

I'm sure he will. Poor Fisher, I think he is on his way out in Tennessee and he may even be a bit relieved by it. They are such a mess down there.

letekro said:
Even worse, there's the Oakland at SF game this week :eek:

Re: Let's not overreact

alamo said:
It's easy to generate outrage in a case like this, but let's not go overboard. I'd be satisfied with a 4 game suspension. It would cost him serious money and send a real message.

Players committing "in-game" infractions deserve a little slack, anyways. They are in the heat of battle and made a mistake. It's not premeditated. One story I saw after the game had him apologising and admitting he was very wrong. I don't know if he's truly contrite or simply realized he was in trouble, but penalize him seriously but fairly and move on, no need to dwell on it.

Spot on, Alamo. I couldn't agree more about your "in-game" comment. What Haynesworth did was stupid, he'll get a stiff fine and should get a short suspension. Sure there should be some outrage - but where's the similar outrage when players get busted for DUI or armed assault?

The guy reacted violently in the heat of a violent game, why should we all be surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes