PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Harris: Tomlin walks fine line with his call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Harris: Tomlin walks fine line with his call

I'm not a huge fan of onside kicks but they are usually called as desperation measures anyways. I've seen it work a few times in situations other than end-game and they seem to have pretty good results. Surprise is a key element.

At first, I was really surprised by Tomlin's decision. I don't necessarily agree with it but I can understand it, and admire that he had the guts to go for what he felt was the right thing to do. Not a lot of coaches would do that, though I can think of one guy...

It was a decision made in the same spirit as Belichick's, but FAR riskier. Now watch the media pay it a little attention, but not 1/10th the amount BB faced when his far more likely to succeed 4th and 2 call went awry.

No suprise here, that is how life works. Had we got that 1st down, we would have given the Saints a run for their money and our season would look a little different right about now. Granted, the Squealers still suck and will not make the playoffs, but still. BB doesn't care what the media thinks anyways, neither does Tomlin. Note that these 2 coaches accounted for 40 percent of the SBs this decade, because they worry about their team, and they do what is best for the team.

It was a decision made in the same spirit as Belichick's, but FAR riskier. Now watch the media pay it a little attention, but not 1/10th the amount BB faced when his far more likely to succeed 4th and 2 call went awry.

Only because the Steelers won the game...trust me, had the Steelers lost...people would be screaming for his head.

I copied this post from another thread...just cause I'm too lazy to retype it.

Actually I AGREE with Tomlin's call on the onside kick. And there's plenty he does that I DON'T agree with. But if you've followed the Steelers much this season (or over the past several seasons actually), you'd see that they are historically AWFUL when it comes to giving up big plays in the clutch at the end of games. AND their 2 minute drill has been lackluster this season to say the least. SO, with that mind...best case scenerio, we get the ball (who is expecting an onside kick in that situation?) and milk the clock out and get away with a win. Worst case scenerio was exactly how it played out. GB recovers and scores (although they would've likely been MUCH happier with a FG). BUT at least there's a good chance you'll have some clock to work with to drive down the field and score yourself. Had the Steelers lost, people would be analyzing/criticizing Tomlin's decision for years to come, but I'd STILL stand by my opinion that it was a good, gutsy call in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes