Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Guess the NBC Sun Night opener...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That, the Mon Nighters, and the T-Giving games will be announced tom.

Anyhow-here are my guesses on the opening Sun nighter...

1. Balt @ Dallas...there's been rumblings recently of McNabb being traded to the Ravens. I doubt if McNabb is going anywhere, however-IF this is the game, then obviously there is some meat to this rumor.(another TO vs. McNabb clash hyped up by the national media)

2. Philly @ Balt...See above

3. NE/Rams...rematch of the SBXXXVI

4. Indy/GB...if this is played at Lambeau, then before the Packers' game where they retire #4 in front of everyone, they'll treat everyone to an opponent against an AFC Powerhouse.

5. Dallas @ Pitt...NFC vs AFC classic matchup
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I doubt we see Fox give up one of its two Pats games without a fight. They can only broadcast the games with the Rams and the Cardinals. Fox will make sure they get BOTH of those.
  3. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://www.seahawkaddicts.com/2008/03/scheduling-delemias.html

4. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If it's Pats/Hawks I'd be cool with that, get one of the west coast trips out of the way, though ideally all the west coast trips would be 4:00 games.

Can you imagine if the made it Pats/Rams and then something actually happened with the golf pro?
  5. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Excellent point.
  6. SoCal Pmen

SoCal Pmen Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Patriots at San Diego - will either be Sunday or Monday nighter
  7. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't like it if the Pats had to travel to the West Coast for Sunday Night game. That's a rough travel schedule and they should get to play a day when they go out West so they can get back at a somewhat decent hour.

That said, I'd rather they have the West Coast trip for a night game in week 1 than have it any other time during the season.

Early prediction: Patriots win when they go to Seattle, but lose in San Diego. The Chargers are going to be sky high to beat the Patriots whenever that game occurs.
  8. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Refuse to listen to Clayton, but it makes sense.. Still going with San Diego on sun nite
  9. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pats/Seahawks on Sunday night would be a logistical nightmare since the M's are hosting the Yankees that day too.

I'm calling Pats/Seahawks on Monday night, 10 EST on ESPN.

Oh, for the Sunday nighter it will be Chicago @ Indy to open Lucas Oil Field - count on it.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  10. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I see no chance. They use that spot for a west coast only match-up (SF/AZ and SD/Oak are the previous 2) as no one on the East Coast will watch it.
  11. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pats fans will watch it.

Pats haters (the rest of America) will watch it.

It will generate higher ratings than any West Coast-only matchup. And what is the NFL all about? RATINGS!!!!
  12. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

And there is no question a Pats/Seahawks game at 10 PM Eastern on ESPN doesn't get half the national ratings of a Pats/Seahwaks 8 PM game on NBC or a 4 PM game on Fox. Almost no one in eastern or middle America is staying up until 1 AM to watch an opening week football game.
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's not how I want the season to start, having to play a Sunday Night game on the West Coast. Not that the trip would ever be easy but a 1pm game (pacific) would be less detrimental to week two than a 5pm game.
  14. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Don't underestimate the NFL- they are talking about playing a Super Bowl overseas for crying out loud.
  15. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

We'll see but the NFL has put unattractive west coast games in that spot both years. They do not even categorize the regular MNF as a marquee game anymore. I'd be very surprised to see one of the best interconference games of the year not only on ESPN MNF but as a secondary game, not even the game televised during prime time.
  16. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

One thing I've learned over the years in trying to predict the opener is that the NFL never goes with the obvious (such as a NE-SD Sunday night opener). The league tries to get intriguing matchups that we haven't seen (Dallas-Cleveland would be ripe for the Sunday 4:15pm game). And I know they always seek an opportunity to increase ratings in any way possible. The late Monday-nighter historically has been a dud, but the NFL may want to capitalize on the timeslot this time around, we'll see.
  17. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It was leaked that Minnesota-Green Bay will be the early Monday night game....so odds are at least 1 AFC team will be in the mix for the late game.
  18. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Well gee, Clayton was wrong again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.