PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gosselin "Tony Romo among the NFL's All-Time Elite Great QBs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I could care much less about idolizing QBs, but this stat is great. Read it, memorize it.

The NFL's No. 1 passing team has played for a championship only five times in Super Bowl history: the 1984 Miami Dolphins, 1999 and 2001 St. Louis Rams, 2002 Oakland Raiders and 2007 New England Patriots.

Those teams went 1-4 in Super Bowls, and the 1999 title game ended with Tennessee on the St. Louis 1-yard line. So the No. 1-ranked passing offenses are 1 yard shy of possibly being winless in Super Bowls.

lol

Romo is a good QB but to even mention him anywhere ahead of Manning,Montana,Warner and Brady seems strange and absurd to me,Gosselin finds out that some stats have him ranked above these HOF or future HOF QBs.

Analysis: Romo among all-time elite QBs | shreveporttimes.com | Shreveport Times

Gosselin is one of the Dallas Morning News staff writers in the Sports section - however, he is NOT a Cowboys homer, and is very objective in all of his NFL analysis. If anything, he seems to show a slight-bias toward our NFCE rivals Philadelphia Eagles(and with good reason - Andy Reid and Joe Banner have made this team one of the elite for years, despite not winning a SB).

If this were Tim Cowlishaw, then yes, it would be a much different story. Cowlishaw is a big Cowboys-homer.

Gosselin is normally one of the most reliable, level-headed footbal writers out there.

This, however, is an absurd piece of 'journalism'.

Its not clear to me exactly how he determines 'QB efficiency' - its just a bunch of hyperbole to keep the Cowboys fans happy in the offseason.

you-are-too-funny-ag1.gif

Bad gif I know :)

Last edited:
Gosselin is normally one of the most reliable, level-headed footbal writers out there.

This, however, is an absurd piece of 'journalism'.

Its not clear to me exactly how he determines 'QB efficiency' - its just a bunch of hyperbole to keep the Cowboys fans happy in the offseason.

We also lost Flozell Adams this offseason(he eventually went to Pittsburgh, didn't he?) - this could be a HUGE loss for us next year. You saw the Vikings playoff game - when Adams went down with a calf injury, Jared Allen just schooled Doug Free(who will be next year's LT starter). Otherwise, we had receivers open all over the field.

If anything - Romo has had the luxury of a massive, albeit nasty offensive line with Adams, Kosier, Gurode, Davis, and Columbo, which has opened up gaping holes for Felix and Barber in addition.

Thought Gosselin was a better writer than this.. lots of what might happens in that article...

I don't know if I would put Romo among the elite of the currently active QBs. He isn't better than Manning, Brady, or Brees. I would take Rivers over him. Roethlisberger minus he off the field BS too. Flacco and Ryan may surpass him too.

I like Gosselin, but I think this article is joke and just pandering to his Cowboy fan base.

I'm assuming that when Gosselin says Romo "debuts in 2010 as the third most-efficient quarterback in history", he is referring to QB rating - though according to this list he is third among active quarterbacks, and 4th among all quarterbacks.

NFL Career Passer Rating Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

As you can see from that list, it is extremely top heavy with quarterbacks who are playing today. Only two of the top 30 quarterbacks did not play in the '90's or later for apart of their careers, and 13 of the top 15 are still active today. That is due to the change in the way the game is played, which is due to rule changes over the years to pass interference penalties. So while Gosselin is technically correct in his statement about Romo based on that ranking, that doesn't make him the 4th best quarterback of all time. Though Gosselin does not make that statement, I could see where somebody could accuse him of implying that to be the case. Nowhere does Gosselin state that in his opinion Romo is better than Montana, Brees, Manning, Brady or others. However, he should have clarified what he meant when he said 'most efficient QB of all time'.

It seems to me the main point of the article is that it might be possible for Romo to break some NFL passing records this year because of the other players that Dallas has on offense, but given the history of the NFL's most prolific passing offenses, it is something Dallas may not want to see happen. I don't really disagree with either point.

Very sloppy work by Gosselin. Perhaps it was his last piece on the way out the door for vacation.

With the addition of the highly touted rookie Dez Bryant,I assume Gosselin thinks Romo will have a monster year and if Bryant proves Jerry Jones correct in his draft gamble,then he certainly could be right that Romo will prove an Elite QB within the next 2 years..but as of now he is about the 5th to 8th best QB in the league...far from the top IMO.

The Patriots were a ridiculous helmet catch away from a win, in a game where the team lost its starting RG and had a completely immobile QB while playing against the league's best D-line.

The Rams had one of the worst SB game plans in history, and still almost got that game into overtime. I think that Patriots team gets a bit underrated, and that Ty Law interception would have ripped that game open had the penalty not been called, but N.E. still owes a big "Thank you!" to Mike Martz for that win.

The Raiders weren't even the #1 scoring offense in football the year that Bucs beat them (that honor went to the 8-8 Chiefs). The Bucs, however, were the #1 defense in the league, and were being coached by Gruden, who knew everything the Raiders were going to try.

The 1984 Dolphins lost the Super Bowl to a 15-1 team that was the #2 scoring offense AND the #1 scoring defense in the league that season.

There's nothing wrong with having a high powered offense.

Gosselin really should have worked on that article some more.

Last edited:
The Patriots were a ridiculous helmet catch away from a win, in a game where the team lost its starting RG and had a completely immobile QB while playing against the league's best D-line.

The Rams had one of the worst SB game plans in history, and still almost got that game into overtime. I think that Patriots team gets a bit underrated, and that Ty Law interception would have ripped that game open had the penalty not been called, but N.E. still owes a big "Thank you!" to Mike Martz for that win.

Good points but age has taken your brain cells. Law's INT went for a TD. The fumble recovery and TD by TBKY Jones was called back, rightfully so, on a Willie M holding penalty on Faulk. Their Faulk, not ours.

And all along I figured you had to win at least a ring or two... errr, scratch that, a single postseason game, even, to be considered an all-time great.

Good points but age has taken your brain cells. Law's INT went for a TD. The fumble recovery and TD by TBKY Jones was called back, rightfully so, on a Willie M holding penalty on Faulk. Their Faulk, not ours.

Ok, there's my one allowed mistake for the day. My point still stands though.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll have to go do some form of penance for my error.

And all along I figured you had to win at least a ring or two... errr, scratch that, a single postseason game, even, to be considered an all-time great.

And not be responsible for one of the biggest mess-ups ever at what was probably one of the most crucial times ever...Romo U Rock:D

So just how pass happy has the league become? How much have rules crippled pass defense: How overrated a stat is passer rating?:

1. Aaron Rodgers (26) 97.2 2005-2009 gnb
2. Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM
3. Philip Rivers (28) 95.8 2004-2009 sdg
4. Tony Romo (29) 95.6 2004-2009 dal

While Rodgers, Rivers, and Romo are all good, possibly great even, QBs they certainly aren't 3 of the top 4 passers EVER.

Romo made more sense than Gosslin.

"At the end of the day, winning is what counts at my position," Romo said Wednesday before a promotional appearance for Starter apparel at an Arlington Wal-Mart. "As I get older, it doesn't matter to me if I throw for 100 yards a game or 400 if we win. You're a far better quarterback when you throw for 150 yards and win than when you throw for 320 and lose. Stats are just stats."

Which just goes to show you who the truly elite QBs are, the winners. The same argument Pat's fans had to wage for the first half of Brady's career to date... Prolific passers aren't always elite QB's...and visa versa.

If anyone has a legit argument to why QB stats mean squat except for personal and public respect its Dan Marino

Marino would give up all of those awesome records and stats for ONE Super Bowl ring.....He may go down forever as the best QB in NFL History to never win the BIG one and it was not him to blame,it was failure to gather a defense capable of shutting down thier opponents to which the Dolphins F.O. could not do for a decade + of Marino's greatness.

Dan Fouts was another guy you could say was unfortunate.

Now we shall see if Romo becomes another unfortunate QB in 10 years to join those 2.

Last edited:
Goose gets a lot of crap from Cowboys fans. He tends to be a bit of a debby-downer (albeit not at Borges' level). this is his way of pandering to the fanbase to get them off his back for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes