Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Goodell swings the hammer: Johnny Jolly reportedly out for at least a year

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Deus Irae, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,145 / 197 / -145

Disable Jersey

2. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +653 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

Re: Goodell swings the hammer: Johnny Jolly reportedly out for at least a year

Yeah, well.......

Nice to see Goodell spreading the wealth around to teams besides the Patriots.

3. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

The NFL needed a hard ass commissioner, love him or hate him, he is consistant. But on this issue the CBA is clear, fail multiple drug tests and you sit a year. Not sure this situation constitutes saying "Goodell Swings the Hammer".

4. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +4,145 / 197 / -145

Disable Jersey

There has been no league report of a failed drug test. As far as anyone can currently ascertain, this involves his criminal case. If it is about a failed test, it's still Goodell swinging the hammer, though, so I don't really see where you were going with your post.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  5. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +4,145 / 197 / -145

Disable Jersey

6. alphilip77

alphilip77 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:eek:Oh snap! Don't know how much of an impact he has on the Packer's defense, but that's a long time!

7. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

Except, of course, when the jets are involved - then suspensions are shortened or lifted totally.

Jets can tamper at will with total impunity.

8. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#3 Jersey

Started all 32 games in last 2 seasons; 88 tackles in them 2 seasons but only 1 sack!

Unless he is actually being double teams consistently and cannot get past it, I think he won't be much of a miss in pass rush, but seems pretty good for a DE in run support.

9. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +4,145 / 197 / -145

Disable Jersey

La Canfora twitter:

Twitter / Jason La Canfora: Legal charges still pendin ...

The way the criminal charges have unfolded against this guy, he could end up spending quite a bit of time at the Ironbar Hotel.

10. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +333 / 3 / -3

That consistency didn't really manifest itself after Mangini admitted to taping from the endzones, now did it?

11. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Its been reported as substance abuse not related to his trial.

Jolly's suspension is for substance abuse | ProFootballTalk.com

edit: I didn't read done further to see that you posted the substance abuse policy.

So there was my point the CBA says that if you fail multiple drug tests you get suspended for a year. The commish suspended him for a year, and now there are reports that it is indefinite. I don't see that as the comish swinging a hammer, if anyone swung the hammer it was Jolly.

12. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

You are going to have to clue me on that one. I don't remember Mangini admitting to that. I remember the TV captures from the Jets game purportedly showing a Jets employee with a camera on the sideline. But nothing about Mangini admitting that.

13. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +4,145 / 197 / -145

Disable Jersey

The league, under Goodell, is the one who hands down the suspension, and it was the league that brought the hammer down. I wasn't bashing Goodell in this instance. I was noting the suspension. Heck, I didn't add a single word of editorial in the O.P., because all I did was publish the report.

14. Fixit

Ratings:
    +333 / 3 / -3

Mangini taped and tried to weasel out of it like a little *****

15. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So what's the problem?

16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,099 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

How have you been?

17. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +200 / 15 / -3

Not to go through this again, but yes Mangini admitted it. He claimed the Patriots had given permission. The Patriots denied it. Goodell sided with the Jets, which makes one wonder why it's ok to get permission to cheat.

18. Fixit

Ratings:
    +333 / 3 / -3

Unsurprisingly, the article writer jacked up the rule.

The league rule states:

"No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game...All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

The memo re-emphasis states:

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

The Jets violated the enclosure part of the first rule, as the Pats did, and the location part of the memo, again, as the Pats did. I'm pretty sure that the end zone is accessible, and permission...like the subject of the taping itself...is irrelevant. The Jets did the same thing the Pats got hammered for, and the league brushed it off. Then again, the Phillies did the same thing, and it was a big story on ESPN for a whole day.

Edited to add: Even if taping from the endzone was allowed under the rules...which it's not, but let's say it was...I find it hard to believe that people would think that taping from the sidelines is "cheating" but from the endzone is not. Actually, I don't find it hard to believe at all, but still...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  19. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.