PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Goodell continues to take fines too far

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is taking it way too far. He's singly handedly starting to ruin the fun of the game. A good website for Ian to make next is a site demanding that Goodell step down with a list of all the ******ed decisions he's made since he's been "in office". Maybe a nice petition can be on there as well.

Why are trivial displays of individualism such a tremendous threat to the NFL?

This is largely a rhetorical question, though illuminating.

Goodell exemplifies the 'corporate suit' mentality. Guys that equate image with substance. While I would agree that the image of a business like the NFL is important, the mgrs in charge need to understand their customers and make rational decisions as opposed to arbitrary, illogical rulings 'ex-cathedra'. No offense intended to any Popes past or present.

Last edited:
What a bunch of croc. Didn't this happen before with the NBA or NFL when someone was going to put a number on their shoe in respect to someone who had passed?

...and remember that the fines we hear about are just a tiny fraction of the total each week.

Well technically, you can't allow exceptions to the rules if you want everyone to believe you're serious about them.

Well technically, you can't allow exceptions to the rules if you want everyone to believe you're serious about them.

I'm curious to know what rule he is in violation of. I think it is very probably a vague rule to begin with.

Plus we wouldn't want the refs getting players' numbers confused-handing out fines to dead people etc.:rolleyes:

True...but was the NFL truly a wild, lawless land of misfits under Paul Tagliabue? By all accounts the rate of fines has absolutely skyrocketed under Goodell. I'd at least like to know whether warnings are sent for first offenses, etc. For a guy making league minimum, a couple of these fines in the course of a year represents a major chunk of the pay he makes by putting his body in harm's way every day.

Goodell bleeds green (and I don't mean Jets green). Period.

Goodell bleeds green (and I don't mean Jets green). Period.

He $ure doe$.

I'm with whoever suggested blogging a list of General GODell's accomplishments to date.

But most systems or rules do not run at a zero tolerance level. You actually can have rules and deem them minor infractions less worthy of enforcing, until the violations become a nuisance. A different theory might be to create lots of rules but enforce only certain rules when you need to modify behavior contrary to the goals of the organization.

If violations are harmless, what is the benefit of coercing compliance? And what would you rather have, (1) a player showing barely noticeable individuality or (2) a clown legally changing his name to "Ocho Cinco" to comply with the NFL rule when something less could have been tolerated? I personally would prefer option (1), and do not want to see the NFL become the "No Fun League."

Last edited:
This is hardly something new under Goodell. The NFL has been issuing these fines for years. Pete Rozzell used to fine Jim Mcmahon for stuff like this in the mid 80s.

The new fines under Goodell are for player conductoff the field and what he considers dirty play on the field. I would agree he is taking that stuff too far.

Honestly, I love it all... I think Goodell's start has been fantastic. In a perfect NFL, there would be absolutely no celebrating, and absolutely no criminals on the field.

I hate to break it to some of you but this has been a rule for a long time and fines have resulted from them long before Goodell took over. Remember Manning and his shoes? Players have been fined for wearing the wrong socks.

I think Goodell's fine for legal hits is ridiculous but his fines and suspensions for the idiots and their off the field actions has been spot on!

CNNSI.com - SI Online - Dr. Z - Inside Football - SI's Dr. Z: Quarterback sneaker - Wednesday September 18, 2002 02:07 PM

UniformViolation.com - The Sports Fashion Police

Last edited:
Honestly, I love it all... I think Goodell's start has been fantastic. In a perfect NFL, there would be absolutely no celebrating, and absolutely no criminals on the field.

:rolleyes: Why have humans play at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots