PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: From "the cap is crap" to "we are up against the cap, oh crap"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can beat it for as long as the cap continues to expand fairly rapidly. The bill always comes due eventually, though.
And then this morning I'm watching the NFLN and Uncle Albert Beer is speculating on teams that would be legit places for Peyton M. to join and he cites the Jets as one of them. Huh????

Well, I hope it works out like this. The flip side is if you can go all out for 4-5 Years and then pay the price for 1-2 years, I'm not sure if that is so bad. Frankly, I don't think the Pats are a good yardstick. I think their success year in and year out is due to having a historically great coach and QB tandem.

That was what Polian did. It netted him division dominance for several seasons but just two trips to the SB he still had to luck into and one ring. And now he and most everyone not named Irsay who was associated with that period are or will be unemployed or working somewhere else and the Colts are in full rebuilding mode.

I wouldn't trade places. And it took more than savvy coaching and a great QB to remain consistently competitive as we continue to be 12 years and counting. It took disciplined cap management and roster/team building philosophies that never lost sight of the long term consequences of taking the undisciplined approach of seeking/finding a way to win in a window regardless of cost. Eventually the window slams and most folks over the age of 40 know on a personal level what getting a body part caught in that kind of situation feels like... Getting your franchise caught in it hurts even more...and that pain can linger for say 43 years...

And then this morning I'm watching the NFLN and Uncle Albert Beer is speculating on teams that would be legit places for Peyton M. to join and he cites the Jets as one of them. Huh????

Breer's motives are not to report what he thinks is true. He's trying to generate buzz. Why would you even pay any attention to him?

I don't think it'll happen, but hoohoohoo could you imagine the Brady-Manning Rivalry then??

Uncle Albert and his ilk largely focus on storylines that will sell to the vast majority of their demographic who are idiots and don't know better. Hell will freeze over before Manning plays for the JETS. He's not going to live through the whose town is it comparisons with his kid brother or play his home games in an outdoor stadium in a cold weather division dominated by BB and TFB...Favre only went there because he had no choice since he wasn't a FA.

There is a better chance he goes to Miami, and I seriously doubt he will consider that for more than negotiating purposes for many of the same reasons.

It's just not as ratings fueling to opine he will land in AZ or Seattle or even Texas or DC (which I doubt too for the cold weather and Eli reasons).

Correct, the Pats didn't benefit from the amnesty at all, really. That was what bugged me most about it: if it was going to be implemented, every team should have had a chance to utilize it. Instead, in August, a new rule came in saying that players who had been cut half a year ago weren't going to count against the cap after all.

The Pats should have at least been given a chance to exploit the amnesty on Warren, Banta-Cain, and Bodden. Then they could have used that money to trade for and sign a Brandon Lloyd type, or even push forward into 2012... the possibilities would have been endless.

Instead, since it was unreasonably backdated, the Jets (and almost nobody else) benefited from it. Whatever though, that just makes it even funnier that, even with the rules being rigged in their favor, the Jets are still screwed.

The serious question is,Why was this arbitrary date selected exempting dead cap hits for guys cut before this past date, and done so after the fact such that the NFL Front Office could look back and see that particularly the NY Jets would benefit, and benefit hugely dodging an $8M cap hit? If the players union wanted this, why not allow more teams to benefit? Why have no sports journalists picked up on this unique CBA rule? It's not like they avoid controversy, yet there's silence on this.

Last edited:

The only way Manning goes to the Jets is if he follows through on his promise of taking a value deal with incentives. If he does, then the Jets either cut Sanchez outright, trade him. or force him to take a signficant pay cut.

The serious question is,Why was this arbitrary date selected exempting dead cap hits for guys cut before this past date, and done so after the fact such that the NFL Front Office could look back and see that particularly the NY Jets would benefit, and benefit hugely dodging an $8M cap hit? If the players union wanted this, why not allow more teams to benefit? Why have no sports journalists picked up on this unique CBA rule? It's not like they avoid controversy, yet there's silence on this.

Although I think Woody Johnson was probably the one who pushed for that provision and probably suggested it, I don't know if it was specifically a thing that Goodell put in just to help the Jets. Although the Jets benefitted more than any other team other than maybe one or two others, I think a lot of teams benefitted from it.

Interesting observation from Andrew Brandt on the Steelers moves. They have now pushed $26M in current money forward into the future. Way more than any other team. It will be there even as the cap implodes, and it won't implode that much that fast. The TV increases will be phased in.

Interesting observation from Andrew Brandt on the Steelers moves. They have now pushed $26M in current money forward into the future. Way more than any other team. It will be there even as the cap implodes, and it won't implode that much that fast. The TV increases will be phased in.

I think you mean as the cap explodes, as in becomes larger

I was thinking more of this...

Synonyms:

implode; go off

I wonder how Felgie is going to explain how quality players with big contracts are getting cut today like Eric Winston, Levi Brown, and Kevin Boss aren't cap related and their teams could have freed cap room other ways and they just didn't want these young quality players.

I wonder how Felgie is going to explain how quality players with big contracts are getting cut today like Eric Winston, Levi Brown, and Kevin Boss aren't cap related and their teams could have freed cap room other ways and they just didn't want these young quality players.

I wouldn't call Levi Brown a quality LT/RT.

He'll just say that teams have to be smart about it, but it can be done. Those that are smart about it (he'll site the jets) get away with it, while other teams do not have the brains to play the game right.

Felger will never (almost never) admit being wrong, especially on one of his biggest battle cries "the cap is crap". Mind you, the only reason he harps on it is to paint the Kraft family as being cheap and placing lower salaries before championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes