PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Former Jets employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly will the teams make money off of it? It should help getting a sponsor for the stadium and may sell some additional psls. The NFL and NY city will make a ton of money off of hosting the game in NY. The teams from what I understand don't profit. The host city actually will have to raise $40 million to actually host the game.
I don't know for a fact, but my guess is that owners make money off concessions and parking for an event like this, perhaps? Also as you mentioned it should help sell some signage at the stadium; that's profit for the owner (which Mara didn't figure in.)

Bottom line is the owners are successful businessmen, and successful business people don't go around doing things expecting to make no money or take a loss on the project. They are the ones that spearhead a Super Bowl bid; they're not going to take the time to do that without profiting somehow.

As for selling PSLs, I don't follow the line of reasoning. Remove NYC from the equation for a second. Are more Buc fans going to buy PSLs and tickets to Buc games because Tampa hosts a Super Bowl? Of course not. Same goes for Saints fans, Dolphin fans, etc.

As for the city making money, that's an entirely different situation. Personally I think the economic impact numbers the NFL likes to float are a whole lot of overblown hype. After putting on the event and paying all the expenses, the net effect is about zero. I think the NFL gets those numbers out there in an attempt to get one city to outbid another for the next game. A very small handful may profit (e.g., some hotels and restaurants) but I don't buy the theory the game has a huge economic impact on the host city as a whole.

+1. Not to mention that it certainly couldn't sound worse than The Who.

Maybe they should get Milli Vanilli to do the halftime show. They'd sound the same, no matter what the weather conditions.

I'm guessing they probably aren't already booked for that date.

Maybe they should get Milli Vanilli to do the halftime show. They'd sound the same, no matter what the weather conditions.

Well, I'm sure that Pilatus' calendar is open.

As long as they dont play that freaking "New York" song they played 5 trillions times during the draft, i gots no problems with the game being in NYC.:D

I'm glad the SB is being played in NY. First, if the Pats make it, I will have a better shot at going because it's within driving distance, and so will a lot of other NE fans, which means the Pats would have a mega showing of fans at the game. Second, if it works out well, there's no way they won't consider other cold outdoor places no matter what they say. Third, this is the closest the SB has ever come to our backyard. Even if the Pats don't make it, you could actually consider going and/or making the drive and joining the party for the week. The NFL is all about making $ and keeping it fresh, so from a NE perspective, with the exception of announcing that the next SB is being played at Gillette, I don't see how this really hurts us.

Heh, good point. And if the Patriots make it and WIN on the Green Beans' home field, it will forever cast a blue, red and silver shadow on their fancy new building.

Heh, good point. And if the Patriots make it and WIN on the Green Beans' home field, it will forever cast a blue, red and silver shadow on their fancy new building.

Awesome. I didn't even think of that!

bon jovi or springsteen will do it. case closed.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Former Jets Employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there.

I don't know, why don't you ask Roger what the Super Bowl rules are written on, next time you see him?
I know how imporant it is to you, so I spoke to my homie Roger Goodell today and he pretty much echoed everything I've been saying over the past week. If NY is successful, they will certainly be open to other cold weather locales. And I gotta think New England would be near the top of a pretty short list in that regard.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says more Super Bowls possible at cold-weather sites - ESPN

LOWELL, Mass. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the success of the 2014 Super Bowl slated for Meadowlands Stadium will determine whether more championships are played at undomed cold-weather sites.

I know how imporant it is to you, so I spoke to my homie Roger Goodell today and he pretty much echoed everything I've been saying over the past week. If NY is successful, they will certainly be open to other cold weather locales. And I gotta think New England would be near the top of a pretty short list in that regard.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says more Super Bowls possible at cold-weather sites - ESPN

LOWELL, Mass. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the success of the 2014 Super Bowl slated for Meadowlands Stadium will determine whether more championships are played at undomed cold-weather sites.
I have to disagree. I think the location of the stadium in Foxboro pretty much eliminates any chance of the Super Bowl being held in New England. The stadium is too far from the city for this type of event, and getting everyone back and forth from the city to the stadium all week long as well as the day of the game would be even more of a nightmare than a typical Pats home game. I just can't see it happening.

I have to disagree. I think the location of the stadium in Foxboro pretty much eliminates any chance of the Super Bowl being held in New England. The stadium is too far from the city for this type of event, and getting everyone back and forth from the city to the stadium all week long as well as the day of the game would be even more of a nightmare than a typical Pats home game. I just can't see it happening.

===========================================

Is there any way to fix the transportation issue? More lanes on the freeway, trains?

If they can have the Super Bowl in "Miami", they can have the Super Bowl in "Boston".

===========================================

Is there any way to fix the transportation issue? More lanes on the freeway, trains?
The primary issue is that the stadium is about four or five miles from the interstate (and still another 25 miles or so from there to the city.) There is only one road in and out, compounded by the fact that road is only two lanes in each direction. Net result is Foxboro is notorious for having the NFL's worst traffic issues. It's not so much the number of miles away, it's the amount of time it takes to get back and forth. In the example above, Foxboro to Boston is double the number of miles of Sun Life Stadium to Miami, but probably four or five times the amount of time it takes to get from the stadium to the city.

There is a train that goes to the stadium on game days; they could surely increase the number of trains heading in and out for the game. More people might be inclined to use it as well due to being out of towners not familiar with the area, plus the NFL does not allow for tailgating at Super Bowls.

Thing is that there are events every day and night leading up to the game itself, many at the stadium itself. If the SB was to be held in Foxboro, many if not all of those pre-game events normally taking place at the stadium would probably have to be moved to the city, where all the media and fans would have better access. Not sure that the NFL would be on board with that idea.

The primary issue is that the stadium is about four or five miles from the interstate (and still another 25 miles or so from there to the city.) There is only one road in and out, compounded by the fact that road is only two lanes in each direction. Net result is Foxboro is notorious for having the NFL's worst traffic issues. It's not so much the number of miles away, it's the amount of time it takes to get back and forth. In the example above, Foxboro to Boston is double the number of miles of Sun Life Stadium to Miami, but probably four or five times the amount of time it takes to get from the stadium to the city.

There is a train that goes to the stadium on game days; they could surely increase the number of trains heading in and out for the game. More people might be inclined to use it as well due to being out of towners not familiar with the area, plus the NFL does not allow for tailgating at Super Bowls.

Thing is that there are events every day and night leading up to the game itself, many at the stadium itself. If the SB was to be held in Foxboro, many if not all of those pre-game events normally taking place at the stadium would probably have to be moved to the city, where all the media and fans would have better access. Not sure that the NFL would be on board with that idea.

====================================================

Thanks for the reply.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill