PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Former Jets employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES! With the winning play being a safety off of a snap out of the end zone, near the end of the 4th OT period. Sometime after 2 a.m.

Goodell makes special deal for half price commercials for the overtime periods with No-Doz.

I'm assuming the Pats make the bowl, despite being scheduled for a Monday night game in Japan followed by a Thursday night game in Indianapolis in December.

Last edited:
how cool would it be to see the patriots vs. cowboys/skins/eagles in the super bowl in 2014? :D I would love to see the faces of those new yorkers.

but in all seriousness, this has the potential to be disasterous. can you imagine people from out of town coming into NJ and it snows 20-30 inches? the roads are going to be an absolute mess. i hope this experiment fails and we could go back to having the super bowl in warmer environments.

how cool would it be to see the patriots vs. cowboys/skins/eagles in the super bowl in 2014? :D I would love to see the faces of those new yorkers.

but in all seriousness, this has the potential to be disasterous. can you imagine people from out of town coming into NJ and it snows 20-30 inches? the roads are going to be an absolute mess. i hope this experiment fails and we could go back to having the super bowl in warmer environments.
Um, you do realize that that scenario could happen in Minnesota, Detroit or Indianapolis, right? Even Dallas could get an area-paralyzing icestorm in February creating a traffic nightmare.

Um, you do realize that that scenario could happen in Minnesota, Detroit or Indianapolis, right? Even Dallas could get an area-paralyzing icestorm in February creating a traffic nightmare.

yeah but at least the fans can look forward to watch the game indoors in minn, detroit or indy. as far as dallas is concerned, lol. do you really want to sit in FROZEN seats and watch the SB after paying $5000 for a ticket? the giants/jets may even have to hire locals to shovel snow in the stands.

Last edited:
yeah but at least the fans can look forward to watch the game indoors in minn, detroit or indy.
Well, ok, but now you're changing the subject. You were talking about the threat of bad weather creating a travel nightmare that would force some sort of postponement of the game as a reason not to play in NY. But bad weather impeding travel is a threat that prior Super Bowls have faced.
as far as dallas is concerned, lol. do you really want to sit in FROZEN seats and watch the SB after paying $5000 for a ticket? the giants/jets may even have to hire locals to shovel snow in the stands.
I think one of the best, most enjoyable games I ever went to was Tennessee at New England in January of 2004. Froze my ass off, and I am glad I went.

Sorry, but this isn't baseball, hockey or basketball. This is football and football is meant to be played in the elements. Some of the best games in NFL history have been played in bad weather and you will never hear me complain about cold or snow in any football game I go to, no matter how much the ticket cost.

Last edited:
The Grey Cup is held outdoors every second or third year and it is has yet to be a problem. If the playoff games can be held in the cold weather, why can't the championship game?

If nothing else, an outdoor SB in cold weather will probably allow more ACTUAL football fans to attend the game, as opposed to the "pink hat fans" as I see them called here.

Well, ok, but now you're changing the subject. You were talking about the threat of bad weather creating a travel nightmare that would force some sort of postponement of the game as a reason not to play in NY. But bad weather impeding travel is a threat that prior Super Bowls have faced.
I think one of the best, most enjoyable games I ever went to was Tennessee at New England in January of 2004. Froze my ass off, and I am glad I went.

Sorry, but this isn't baseball, hockey or basketball. This is football and football is meant to be played in the elements. Some of the best games in NFL history have been played in bad weather and you will never hear me complain about cold or snow in any football game I go to, no matter how much the ticket cost.

yeah i did change the subject a bit. :)

the problem is that for us northerners it may be really enjoyable to watch a game in cold weather. however, for someone coming to watch the texans in the super bowl from Houston, he isn't necessarily going to like it. all super bowl attendees should be able to enjoy the game, especially at $5000 a pop.

the other issue is the half time entertainment. does the band want to go out there in freezing cold and play some tunes? the cold will clearly affect the quality of the sound. i really don't think the NFL thought this through. To me, this super bowl is just about giving the Jets and Giants a way to pay for their stadium since the PSLs apparently aren't selling. IMO, if the league wanted to experiment, they should have tried Washington as a super bowl site.

Last edited:
yeah i did change the subject a bit. :)

the problem is that for us northerners it may be really enjoyable to watch a game in cold weather. however, for someone coming to watch the texans in the super bowl from Houston, he isn't necessarily going to like it. all super bowl attendees should be able to enjoy the game, especially at $5000 a pop.

the other issue is the half time entertainment. does the band want to go out there in freezing cold and play some tunes? the cold will clearly affect the quality of the sound. i really don't think the NFL thought this through. To me, this super bowl is just about giving the Jets and Giants a way to pay for their stadium since the PSLs apparently aren't selling. IMO, if the league wanted to experiment, they should have tried Washington as a super bowl site.

The NFL definitely thought this through. They are not concerned with 80,000 fans possibly being cold, they are concerned with the 150-200 million people who will be watching on television. Putting the superbowl in one of the true megacenters of the world is going to generate buzz like never before and produce ratings/money, like never before.

Furthermore, this isn't going to help the Giants or the Jets. Giants owner Jim Mara was on the radio today talking about how teams rarely even break even after considering all the extra expenses they incur.

Lastly, if you are concerned about the halftime performance as a determining factor as to judge a superbowl, then I really do not know what to say to you. Yes, the halftime show is always fun to ***** about on the interwebz afterward, but do you think in the history of the world one person watched the superbowl soley to see the half time show? No shot.

The NFL definitely thought this through. They are not concerned with 80,000 fans possibly being cold, they are concerned with the 150-200 million people who will be watching on television. Putting the superbowl in one of the true megacenters of the world is going to generate buzz like never before and produce ratings/money, like never before.

Furthermore, this isn't going to help the Giants or the Jets. Giants owner Jim Mara was on the radio today talking about how teams rarely even break even after considering all the extra expenses they incur.

Lastly, if you are concerned about the halftime performance as a determining factor as to judge a superbowl, then I really do not know what to say to you. Yes, the halftime show is always fun to ***** about on the interwebz afterward, but do you think in the history of the world one person watched the superbowl soley to see the half time show? No shot.
The 150-200 million people watching on TV don't care where the game is, and most are arguing that more fans want to see the SB in perfect conditions.
I don't see how location could make greater 'buzz' about the SB. It is already over publicized to begin with.
As far as the halftime show, there are non-fans who watch just for the commercials, so I imagine yes in the history of the world one person tuned in to see the halftime show. I would imnagine there are many non-fans who are music fans who ONLY watch the halftime show. If it was a non-factor, why do they have one?

The Grey Cup is held outdoors every second or third year and it is has yet to be a problem. If the playoff games can be held in the cold weather, why can't the championship game?

If nothing else, an outdoor SB in cold weather will probably allow more ACTUAL football fans to attend the game, as opposed to the "pink hat fans" as I see them called here.
Yeah, there will be loads of "actual fans" flying in from all over the country and world to stay in mid-town Manhattan for a week. The only "pink" parts of them at an outdoor game the first Sunday in February will be their extremities...

The 150-200 million people watching on TV don't care where the game is, and most are arguing that more fans want to see the SB in perfect conditions.
I don't see how location could make greater 'buzz' about the SB. It is already over publicized to begin with.
As far as the halftime show, there are non-fans who watch just for the commercials, so I imagine yes in the history of the world one person tuned in to see the halftime show. I would imnagine there are many non-fans who are music fans who ONLY watch the halftime show. If it was a non-factor, why do they have one?

NY creates buzz like no place in the US. Viewership wont be up because the game is physically in NJ, viewership will be up because every single person in the country will be talking about the game being in NY, thus creating more interest in the game.

Baring a freak blizzard occuring exactly on that day, this will be a slam dunk for the NFL.

Re: OT: Former Jets Employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there.

Gee, I'm sorry... Is that "one time basis" written in stone somewhere?

I don't know, why don't you ask Roger what the Super Bowl rules are written on, next time you see him?
The NFL previously had a rule aimed at ensuring the Super Bowl was played in good weather, or in a climate-controlled dome. The league made an exception for New York/New Jersey this time, largely because it has a new $1.6 billion stadium to showcase, and it fits commissioner Roger Goodell's focus on trying to adopt a few new innovations for the league. The Super Bowl city's minimum temperature/roof requirement was set aside on a onetime basis only.

While you can't completely factor out the potential role of the elements as a factor in determining the outcome of any event played outdoors, ultimately you'd like to see an event played under conditions that allow the athletic abilities and strategies of the contestants to be the key factors that determine the outcome. There's a reason why you don't run the Boston Marathon in February. This decision is more about the political and business influence of New York than anything else, as people of other northern cities will undoubtedly find out when they start clammering for a Super Bowl.

As Troy Brown would say....Bingo!

Last edited:
First of all, the Goodell conspiracy theories are absolutely priceless, and downright silly.

NY creates buzz like no place in the US. Viewership wont be up because the game is physically in NJ, viewership will be up because every single person in the country will be talking about the game being in NY, thus creating more interest in the game.

Baring a freak blizzard occuring exactly on that day, this will be a slam dunk for the NFL.

I don't know how much I agree with this, I've been to NYC and it was semi impressive, I think it's a big thing to remember that the farther you get away from NYC the less people care about it, people in NY state, or CT, what have you, may be interested by NYC but I can say generally speaking the people over on this side of the Rockies could really give a **** about New York. I mean if you're a tourist obviously that changes, but honestly, no one out here cares that much. And fans won't really benefit from NY hosting it, we can only see what's on the TV screen, and the allures of the city don't change us at all, so that's just silly. And the hype train for the Superbowl grows each year, it has nothing to do with Miami/Dal/NY, it has to do with the growing influence of media, especially with sports. For example look at all the people that have Adam Schefter on twitter updates. I like the news when I read it, but I don't give a damn about his blog - thus is the nature of the growing power of the media. Sure the NY hype will be a lot, but it wont be any more than each year's increasing hype.

Last edited:

If you told someone from Houston that the Texans were going to be in the Superbowl, they'd be happy to agree to the game being played in Alaska, I promise you. :)

I'm glad the SB is being played in NY. First, if the Pats make it, I will have a better shot at going because it's within driving distance, and so will a lot of other NE fans, which means the Pats would have a mega showing of fans at the game. Second, if it works out well, there's no way they won't consider other cold outdoor places no matter what they say. Third, this is the closest the SB has ever come to our backyard. Even if the Pats don't make it, you could actually consider going and/or making the drive and joining the party for the week. The NFL is all about making $ and keeping it fresh, so from a NE perspective, with the exception of announcing that the next SB is being played at Gillette, I don't see how this really hurts us.

Mara and his fellow owners are probably using some creative accounting if that's the case. NFL owners are smart, successful businessmen, none of whom are in the habit of doing something time after time in order to rarely break even.

If hosting a Super Bowl was not profitable for owners, then why do so many owners spend so much time and money putting together proposals every year in the hopes of hosting a SB? If it was unprofitable, why would owners of new stadiums be so eager to add to their debt service by hosting a SB? If it was unprofitable why would owners in New Orleans, Tampa and Miami want to keep on hosting the game?

I don't buy what Mara's saying, it makes no sense.

Re: OT: Former Jets Employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there.

I don't know, why don't you ask Roger what the Super Bowl rules are written on, next time you see him?
I don't have to, because I know that he has already stated that the league is certainly open to other cold-weather venues in the future.

What part of "the guys who decide where the Super Bowl is going to be are the same guys who make the rules and they can do whatever the heck they want" do you not understand? We are already seeing several such sites jockeying for "we want one too."

If the NY Super Bowl goes off without a hitch, I have no doubt we will see another cold-weather one maybe another 5 years later. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the cold weather owners forming a little voting bloc on this matter.

On cold-weather Super Bowls, Pandora's icebox is wide open | ProFootballTalk.com

So what gives? Isn't an open-air, cold-weather Super Bowl a one-time-only arrangement?

Maybe not.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell didn't rule out the possibility of the game being played in other cold-weather cities having stadiums without lids.

"I think each game will be decided on an individual basis," Goodell told reporters on Tuesday.

+1. Not to mention that it certainly couldn't sound worse than The Who.

Mara and his fellow owners are probably using some creative accounting if that's the case. NFL owners are smart, successful businessmen, none of whom are in the habit of doing something time after time in order to rarely break even.

If hosting a Super Bowl was not profitable for owners, then why do so many owners spend so much time and money putting together proposals every year in the hopes of hosting a SB? If it was unprofitable, why would owners of new stadiums be so eager to add to their debt service by hosting a SB? If it was unprofitable why would owners in New Orleans, Tampa and Miami want to keep on hosting the game?

I don't buy what Mara's saying, it makes no sense.

How exactly will the teams make money off of it? It should help getting a sponsor for the stadium and may sell some additional psls. The NFL and NY city will make a ton of money off of hosting the game in NY. The teams from what I understand don't profit. The host city actually will have to raise $40 million to actually host the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes