PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Former Jets employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Former Jets Employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there.

I think it's a great idea. Even though I hate their sports teams, I'll admit that NYC is THE city of the world, and I think the weather variable will be fun. I'd rather see a SB in snow than rain. It would be an all-time thang.

I think that the Superbowl should be in New Orleans every year. :eat1:

I like the decision just for the comedic value. Imagine a halftime show with some 70s has-beens or an elaborate dance routine in snow and ice and temps in the low 20s. If we're lucky it'll even snow like the Pats/Raiders snowbowl playoff game.

Maybe it could be a team who is used to crappy weather, like the Pats, against a warm-weather or dome team. Then the haters can gripe about how it was unfair because the weather favored us so much. :)

"Waaah, it's a conspiracy, God (and Goodell) loves the Pats."

Re: OT: Former Jets Employee Goodell engineers Super Bowl being held there.

Hmmm. So when they said "one time basis only" they meant except for when they have it in New England later.

Guess the rest of us can't read between the lines like you.
Gee, I'm sorry... Is that "one time basis" written in stone somewhere? Newsflash: The men who vote on the location of the Super Bowl are the same men who create the "rules" for deciding that location. And as yesterday showed us, they can change or suspend their own rules anytime they darn well please.

If this goes down as a success, then it would be foolish to think they wouldn't consider doing it again in another cold weather locale. Bob Kraft is an influential owner with some powerful allies and another thing we learned yesterday is that it only takes 17.

Anyone in the "SB should be played in perfect weather" crowd should rule out Miami. The Colts/Bears superbowl was pretty sloppy.

I'll be interested to see what happens with the NYC superbowl outdoors. NYC is a good place to host all the parties and events they run during the lead up.

While you can't completely factor out the potential role of the elements as a factor in determining the outcome of any event played outdoors, ultimately you'd like to see an event played under conditions that allow the athletic abilities and strategies of the contestants to be the key factors that determine the outcome. There's a reason why you don't run the Boston Marathon in February. This decision is more about the political and business influence of New York than anything else, as people of other northern cities will undoubtedly find out when they start clammering for a Super Bowl.

While you can't completely factor out the potential role of the elements as a factor in determining the outcome of any event played outdoors, ultimately you'd like to see an event played under conditions that allow the athletic abilities and strategies of the contestants to be the key factors that determine the outcome. There's a reason why you don't run the Boston Marathon in February. This decision is more about the political and business influence of New York than anything else, as people of other northern cities will undoubtedly find out when they start clammering for a Super Bowl.

I don't really understand this post.

Bad weather has always been a part of football. It doesn't rule out determination of the outcome by the participants' athletic abilities or strategy -- it just alters which abilities are more important and which strategies are more effective.

One can easily argue that a dome and turf are far more foreign elements to the NFL than (the possibility of) inclement conditions. One can also argue that the better football team is one that can play well in both bad weather and good. (Granted, I may be biased.)

As far as the game itself goes, football is played and is MEANT to be played in all weather conditions. And cold conditions are favorable for the Pats.

However, this decision has nothing to do with playability and everything to do with $$. That said, if we concentrate solely on the business aspect of it, then:

Pros - Prime location offers huge revenue potential.
Cons - Pre-game events may have lower turnout due to the cold, as seen in Detroit.

Now, IF you have a snowstorm on gameday or the day before, then flights get cancelled, traffic chokes up, people can't get to the game, and this decision blows up in the NFL's face.

For Pats fans though, there is nothing to lose at all :)

Last edited:
imo it's the NFL favoring the city of new york. remember what they did a few years back after Katrina? They gave the giants an extra home game. No other team in the league would ever get 9 home games. Seriously, if Kraft is still talking about 9/11, then I am in disbelief. New York recovered from 9/11 long ago - yes the memory and pain still lingers but the nation has moved on. This bid by NY/NJ should have nothing to do with 9/11.

imo it's the NFL favoring the city of new york. remember what they did a few years back after Katrina? They gave the giants an extra home game. No other team in the league would ever get 9 home games. Seriously, if Kraft is still talking about 9/11, then I am in disbelief. New York recovered from 9/11 long ago - yes the memory and pain still lingers but the nation has moved on. This bid by NY/NJ should have nothing to do with 9/11.

NY is the largest media market in the world. It is the largest in the NFL by a wide margin since LA doesn't have a team and the NY teams draw on their fanbases from NY, NJ, and the western part of CT. Why wouldn't they cater to them a bit when it comes to things like this.

As for the Giants getting an extra home game because of Hurricane Katrina, you are talking special circumstances that had little to do with the Giants being a NY team. The schedule was set long before the hurricane hit. The stadium in San Antonio wasn't ready for them.

Well, just to toss a little fuel on the fire, here's a bit from PFT:

"The fix was in for New York," South Florida host committee chairman Rodney Barreto told the Miami Herald. "We threw $1 million extra on the table last night for game-day expenses. We could have put $10 million and it wouldn't have made a difference. We put an incredible presentation that clearly was head-and-shoulders above everyone.''

Miami host committee chairman: "The fix was in for New York" | ProFootballTalk.com

NFL owners vote to have 2014 Super Bowl in New York/New Jersey - NFL - SI.com

Meaning only the Jets (and by proxy the Giants) can get the Super Bowl outside of the rules, so once again go screw yourselves New England.

Paranoid much?

Having the Super Bowl in cold weather conditions is an unprecedented move, and somebody had to be first. You can just as easily say that ALL other outdoor cold weather stadium cities got screwed on this one, but that wouldn't make any sense either. There are plenty of other cold weather teams, you know.

Not only that, but if the Patriots make the Super Bowl that year, it seems like they would have an advantage if they are playing against a warm weather or dome team.

Super Bowl should be here in Denver next. Glad to see this move by GODell.

Well, just to toss a little fuel on the fire, here's a bit from PFT:

Miami host committee chairman: "The fix was in for New York" | ProFootballTalk.com
According to this logic, the "fix" is always in. Everyone knew New Orleans was going to win last time they did this (because they finally resolved their stadium issues) and everyone knew Indy would win the one before that and Dallas the one before that. I can't remember the last time the official vote and announcement was actually a surprise.

The stadium in San Antonio wasn't ready for them.

Seriously? What do they have to do to get the Alamodome ready for an NFL game? How long does it take to paint a new set of hashmarks on a field?

snow and Ice storm 0-0 after 4 quarters.

Something needs to happen to get goodie banished from football, maybe this is it.

Last edited:
snow and Ice storm 0-0 after 4 quarters.

Something needs to happen to get goodie banished from football, maybe this is it.

YES! With the winning play being a safety off of a snap out of the end zone, near the end of the 4th OT period. Sometime after 2 a.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back