PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: For the soccer Mom's and Dad's

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
THis is a bit off topic, but I can't help it.

I know this is probably very petty of me, but so be it.

My daughter is 5 and plays soccer. Her team is very good. In fact, I highly doubted they would lose a game.

A few weeks ago they faced a team that was loaded with big kids. One of the parents told me that the coach had been involved in the league for years and somehow always seemed to have a team of really big kids. Ironically the name of the team was the Giants.

So we played this team to a very tight game. But they won 2-0. One thing that struck me about playing them was the fact that on things like throw in's and penalty kick's he refused to let our team get set or let us position our kids. He would run them out there as quick as possible and have them throw in or kick. Giving the other team time to set up is a common curtesy every other team but this one showed.

Anyway, today was rematch day. And wouldn't you know half our team didn't show up. We had just enough kids to field a team. As the game progressed we had a few show up, but we were missing quite a few. And some of our better players as well.

To make a long story short, we stomped them 5-0. And it could have been much worse! There coach did the same thing today with the throw ins and penalty kick's (well, he wasn't as bad with it when it was 3-0).

It feels as good as a Pats win. And I can tell you the parents on the other team looked stunned.

Sorry, just had to post this. I am in my glory right now. I'm sure most of you soccer mom and dad's understand.

Is it petty of me to get this much joy out of it??? (not that I care, just curious) :)

Well, you're not the only one. My daughter is 5, and playing her first soccer season. My son is 9, and has played for a few years now. I love the games.
I love watching my kids, and all the others as well. Relish in your victory.
Those of you who are not parents yet, you're in for a treat.
My son has a game in an hour, so we'll be heading out soon.
He's got 5 or 6 goals in the last 3 games. He's really starting to "get it".
At this point, I would'nt mind seeing him play soccer in HS.
Oh, and the "community aspect" of the whole thing is pretty cool too.

My 6 & 8 year olds play, I have fun watching and I don't care who wins. They have fun, get some exercise and are more concerned about a post game snack than who wins. Shame on the original coach you mentioned. They shouldn't care about winning at that age.

Your daughter is five. The fact that you care who wins is really sad. Referring to her team's victory with "we" is downright frightening.

You should show up to watch and enjoy it equally reguardless how the game turns out. 5 year olds don't really know the difference between winning and losing, or attach much value to it. What they do understand is Mommy and Daddy's reactions, so if you're down when they lose and up when they win you make the connections (and potentially instill a fear/hatred of losing) for them.

Great stories.

It comes down to Karma.

I don't know what to do this weeked with the bye

sarge said:
THis is a bit off topic, but I can't help it.
this is *way* off topic. you should find a forum for angry parents of athletic five year olds.
sarge said:
So we played this team to a very tight game. But they won 2-0. One thing that struck me about playing them was the fact that on things like throw in's and penalty kick's he refused to let our team get set or let us position our kids. He would run them out there as quick as possible and have them throw in or kick. Giving the other team time to set up is a common curtesy every other team but this one showed.

Anyway, today was rematch day. And wouldn't you know half our team didn't show up. We had just enough kids to field a team. As the game progressed we had a few show up, but we were missing quite a few. And some of our better players as well.

To make a long story short, we stomped them 5-0. And it could have been much worse! There coach did the same thing today with the throw ins and penalty kick's (well, he wasn't as bad with it when it was 3-0).
I hope you haven't shared any of this with your daughter. No need to install such pettiness and cynicism in a five year old.
sarge said:
It feels as good as a Pats win. And I can tell you the parents on the other team looked stunned.
Well, pettiness is not your domain, you know.
sarge said:
Sorry, just had to post this. I am in my glory right now. I'm sure most of you soccer mom and dad's understand.
Not me. I went to a HS football game last night. The home team won 19-0. I heard parents of the winning team say things like, "That's too bad," when the visitor fumbled and, "Nice play," after a completion. Remember the other side is kids too.
sarge said:
Is it petty of me to get this much joy out of it??? (not that I care, just curious) :)
Of course it is. What's the matter with you?

It is indeed awesome to watch your kids play sports. Especially when they score a goal or make a great play. But I can tell you from experience that when your more interested in the game than the kid is, the kid won't be interested very long.

Just sit back and enjoy watching, try to be as supportive as you can and not critical, and as BF said, the kids are really more interested in the snack afterwards or which friend is coming over after the game.

Be supportive and enjoy them because they grow in the blink of an eye. :)

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Your daughter is five. The fact that you care who wins is really sad. Referring to her team's victory with "we" is downright frightening.

You should show up to watch and enjoy it equally reguardless how the game turns out. 5 year olds don't really know the difference between winning and losing, or attach much value to it. What they do understand is Mommy and Daddy's reactions, so if you're down when they lose and up when they win you make the connections (and potentially instill a fear/hatred of losing) for them.

Some people are just straight up hopeless!

len_mullen said:
this is *way* off topic. you should find a forum for angry parents of athletic five year olds.

I hope you haven't shared any of this with your daughter. No need to install such pettiness and cynicism in a five year old.

Well, pettiness is not your domain, you know.

Not me. I went to a HS football game last night. The home team won 19-0. I heard parents of the winning team say things like, "That's too bad," when the visitor fumbled and, "Nice play," after a completion. Remember the other side is kids too.

Of course it is. What's the matter with you?

Let me tell you something. When the other team beat us two weeks ago, "WE", the parents on the team that lost were cheering the kids on the other team when they scored. ANd when one of the little girls on the other team made a great save, I personally walked over to that little girl on the sideline and gave her a big pat on the back. They glory I felt had more to do with attitude of that coach then anything else, which was clearly something that flew way over your head!

So stop making it something it wasn't. Any of my actions towards the kids on either team were no different from a win or loss. The fact that either of the two of you thought they were are assumptions on your part.

Last edited:
Ok. Let's add hypocrisy to your lists of faults.

Get over yourself. Take your kid to a game and cheer for all the kids. When the game is over, take her out for ice cream or lunch. Talk about how much fun it was. If she make mistakes, help her improve -- without getting carried away.

Mostly, though, stop gloating over your five year old's team beating another parent's five year old's team on a Patriots forum. OK?

len_mullen said:
Ok. Let's add hypocrisy to your lists of faults.

Since I already do what you suggest below, let's add idiot to yours!

len_mullen said:
Get over yourself. Take your kid to a game and cheer for all the kids.

Already do that!

len_mullen said:
When the game is over, take her out for ice cream or lunch.

Aready do that. Ice cream, we eat lunch at home mostly.

len_mullen said:
Talk about how much fun it was.

Check, already do that as well

len_mullen said:
If she make mistakes, help her improve -- without getting carried away.
If she makes a mistake I tell her not to worry about it because it's a game!

Ever heard of a straw man falacy?

It's when you are unable to point out actual faults, so you make a list of faults that don't exist ( a straw man), and then you start beeting them up.

All the while the person you are attempting to attack is guilty of none of the things you listed, and simply watches while you beat up this straw man you have created.

Good job!

Last edited:
Did I mention this is a Patriots forum? All I did was affirm all the things you mentioned in your first post. You were right -- YOU'RE PETTY. I promise to stop bumping this if you will do the same...in fact, I promise to stop bumping this altogether. Hope your daughter does not read this thread.

len_mullen said:
Hope your daughter does not read this thread.

Um, OK there genius, my five year old daughter surfs the web on message boards. Normally right after her morning coffee and cigarette. :rolleyes:

That at least explains your overreaction and mischaracterization of my original post.

sarge said:
Um, OK there genius, my five year old daughter surfs the web on message boards. Normally right after her morning coffee and cigarette. :rolleyes:

That at least explains your overreaction and mischaracterization of my original post.
What is strange to me is that you came to the board asking for opinions on your feelings ("Is it petty of me to get this much joy out of it??? (not that I care, just curious)"), but when you received feedback to your WAY off-topic post that did not affirm your feelings, you react with vitriol and name calling.

What was your intention when you posted this? For everyone to agree with you and make you feel like a better person? When you put something like this out there, you should be prepared for conflicting responses.

In other words: Grow up.

Patjew said:
What is strange to me is that you came to the board asking for opinions on your feelings ("Is it petty of me to get this much joy out of it??? (not that I care, just curious)"), but when you received feedback to your WAY off-topic post that did not affirm your feelings, you react with vitriol and name calling.

What was your intention when you posted this? For everyone to agree with you and make you feel like a better person? When you put something like this out there, you should be prepared for conflicting responses.

In other words: Grow up.

I was fully ready to hear a different opinion.

What I was not ready for was fellow Pats fans to make untrue characterizations about me, or things I do.

And I did no name calling, until the statement "Ok. Let's add hypocrisy to your lists of faults." So I was merely responding in kind.

My original post was made to be in good nature.

Looking back on it now, I would not have made it. But hind sight is 20/20.

I had an enjoyable moment this morning.(-edit, (unfortunately I have to add this or others will mischaracterize otherwise) I enjoy it when they lose too, but this was special given the aggresive nature of the coach we were facing) I visit this board regularly, and while I don't know any of you personally, we have shared many other OT issues on this board. I wanted to share this with you guys.

I certainly will not make that mistake again.

Last edited:
What you need to do is be honest with yourself. You only go to these games to check out the Moms on the other team :)

Why did you post this here instead of in the general topics forum, where it belongs? Aside from that, anyone who gets a personal competitive charge out of a soccer match between five-year-olds -- enough to compare it to a Pats game (?!) -- needs their head examined. Seriously. No matter what the circumstances. "We stomped them 5-0" and "the parents of the other team looked stunned" ????????? Get a grip, man!

Last edited:
"And I can tell you the parents on the other team looked stunned."

Was this part of your excitement...............because of the aggressive nature of the coach and all? Just curious

Last edited:
Is there a full moon? People attacking people all over the place. A bye week brings out the **** all over the place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back