PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: For the future, we should worry about the Jets, not the Colts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only shot the Pats have to be a contender in the short term is...

A) They have to Hit and I mean hit on all 4 of their picks in the 1st two rounds.

B) Bring in about 5 key players. Similar to 2001.

C) Lock up Brady and Wilfolk and Bodden, maybe Cain.

D) Hope Butler, Chang take steps forward next season. Forget Brace he's a bust, it shows you Belichick didn't do any homework, as a BC season ticket holder I could have told you he benefited playing next to an All-American in BJ Raji and had Mark Herzlich behind him.

But the reality, they probably franchise Wilfolk, transistion Bodden. Defense will be about the same as you saw this year. The Draft, they might hit on 1 of 4, that's been their average. They will badly miss on at least one 2nd rounder.

They won't bring in anyone impactful and because they care more about the CBA than the fans. Look for Brady not to be locked up and he to walk in 2012probably to the Cowboys. Also look for 2011 to be strike shortened and the owners giving up on the franchise tag. So there won't be two #1's for Tommy.

That 2011 pick from the Raiders is going to be a QB. This dynasty is over, so get used to watching the Colts, Jets, Dolphins, Chargers, Texans, Ravens and Steelers. All teams better than the Pats right now and setup to win over the next 5 years.

And guess what folks, Peyton Manning and Colts have left Tom Brady, his super model and this team in the dust. But the CBA, that's the Kraft's focus.

Yes, I fully expect the Pats to have their lowest payroll since 2002 this year and not make any moves other than the ones you made. Screw the fans! Keep that payroll around $70 million and pocket an extra $30 million. Bob Kraft and Belichick have a long history of only worrying about the profit and not trying to win championships. That's why the Pats have never won a Super Bowl since either got involved with the team.

You do realize the Pats are in perfect position to make a lot of moves, CBA or no CBA. They have one of the lowest payrolls in the league and tens of million under the cap not only this year, but next if the cap is reinstated.

You trolls are cute with your single digit IQs though.

Last edited:
I don't get this fear with the Jets. It was a good story for this year. They are improved but they are also limited to improving there team further becuase they are one of the final eight. They can still build through the draft, but that is basically it.

All the teams you saw this weekend will have a hard time adding pieces through free angency if there is no new CBA.

The Pats should take advantage right now. I don't want to hear building for the future. The time is now.

The Jets will be good the next couple of years. They do have several players that will be entering there 30's or beyond. There window is now and the next few years.

What was clear was that the colts are a much better team than the jets and were able to exploit the injuries in the jets secondary.

Still don't know what to expect about the Jets. Based on the mismatch yesterday, it seems pretty clear that they backed into the playoffs.

Re: For the future, we should worry about the jets not the colts..

People really need to step back and take a deep breath before commenting on the Jets. The obviously had a good run this year (aided by an ending schedule with teams laying down for them) but really the only surprise was the SD game. I think that game said more about SD than it did about the Jets.

So looking forward, the Jets just finished year 2 of a 3 year window. Next year, regardless of the CBA, the Jets will be pretty much intact except for their RBs (Washington is a FA and Jones is due a huge bonus). However, they have liabilities that will be difficult to correct:

1) Sanchez will need to take a giant step forward to even get the Jets back to this point. The key series happened in the 4th quarter just after the Colts took a 10 point lead:

1-10-NYJ 20 (8:52) (Run formation) T.Jones up the middle to NYJ 25 for 5 yards (D.Muir).
2-5-NYJ 25 (8:18) M.Sanchez pass incomplete short middle to B.Smith.
3-5-NYJ 25 (8:15) (Shotgun) M.Sanchez pass incomplete short left to J.Cotchery (K.Hayden).
4-5-NYJ 25 (8:11) S.Weatherford punts 49 yards to IND 26, Center-J.Dearth, out of bounds.

Needing 2 scores, starting at your own 20 with less than 9 minutes left in your season...and the "brilliant" Schottenheimer calls a middle run, a dump pass and a short out. He did that because Sanchez didn't have what it takes to attack downfield when needed. This offseason is huge for Sanchez because the "rookie" tag is a great way to lower expectations...and he won't have it next year.

2) Revis is a stud but the rest of the CBs are average at best. Lito isn't a bad #2 but he isn't being paid to be "not a bad #2". Lowery and the rest are only viable when they have to cover for 2 seconds or less.

3) The safeties are solid in the running game but absolutely stink in coverage.

4) Expecting 16 games out of Kris Jenkins is like expecting 16 games out of Bob Sanders. It may happen, but it is foolish to expect it.

5) Two (very expensive) guys on their OL are very much on the wrong side of 30. And while D'Brick is a reasonable LT, he is certainly not worth the contract he is playing under.

6) The Jets are in sad shape at WR. Jerricho is a solid #2 but Stone Hands is a FA. Sign him to a big money extension and hope his hands improve dramatically? Let him go and see how your big money QB develops with no WRs to throw to?

After 2010, if there is a cap the Jets are going to be in trouble. Mangold and Revis (opt out) will need extensions...and CBs that have islands temporarily named for them generally expect trucks full of cash to back up to their door. However, all of the other huge deals they have signed recently are still active in 2011 and the cap hits are only getting bigger.

And before anyone throws out the "Colts were supposed to be in cap jail but they seem fine" argument, the Colts let players on defense walk all the time when their contracts are up (no cap penalty) and just plug in rookies. The Jets are a completely different situation.

So the Jets will go as far as Sanchez will carry them next year. After that, the window on this "strong running game and #1 defense" team slams shut if there is a cap. If there is no cap in the next CBA, all bets are off on any predictions.

Truer words were never spoken. The proliferation of blathering national football mediots do the football fans of America a huge disservice annually (not to mention weekly in season). They alternately raise false hopes or fuel needless panic bordering dispair among the skittish herd of sheep they've created to fuel their own ratings.

I more or less is talking about talent wise.. Who is that great pass rusher we have Banta Cain??? Who is that stud Running back??? And who is that shut down corner .... Brady is still in his prime, but he needs playmakers or just a change in offensive philosiphy... Go back to the clock killin Corey Dillion days..

How is this topic Off Topic when it concerns the Pats rebuilding to compete with the Jets? :confused:

We have the team to beat the Jets, in fact we did beat them last year. The difference in our in wins compared to loses was mostly about execution. At times we played like the best team in the league, and others we looked like the worst. The goal of the off season should be to bring in more consistent players (preferably veterans) who can do their job, and if we get any more then that then it's all gravy. We dont need a team full of pro bowlers or first round picks like the Jets have. We never did.

As we build for the 2010 season, we should start building our team to compete with the jets and not the colts.. With the exception of QB, and maybee WR the jets have more talent then we do as we talk on jan 25th...

O line- the jets are just a hair better, but they are better run blocking line
Tight end- Dont know why we never use them
Lb's - Not even close
D line- id say push, both are even
CB- Not even close
Rb- they have 2 solid runners, we still just trying to find one.

So as the Pats build for the 2010 season and beyond, its time to stop trying to be like the Colts, and more like the jets.. Yes we have the coach / Qb edge, espcially if there is a race between Ryan and Belichick:D.. But this a huge offseason for the Pats and the future of the franchise.. The draft and FA will be very important..

Even if I bought a season-ending comparison with any team that might play very differently next year, you can't just pay lip service to QB & WR's and leave out Special Teams (including Kickers) and Coaching, and you totally ignore the fact that the Pats are getting young on D and rebuilding already.

So, I don't think the Pats should build their team around the Jets. I'll grant that the Jets are a solid team with an OK--Good QB, an uneven but at times daunting Defense and a very good running game, but I'm not convinced that Sanchez didn't get as close as he's going to get to the SB yesterday and I'm also not convinced that many of Rex Ryan's strengths couldn't morph overnight into their evil twins and become huge weaknesses.

I guess you can figure out, then, that I'm not sold that the Jets are a Dynasty in the Making or even that they will be in the Playoffs next year. Yes, they had a Quality Win in San Diego (even if the Chargers have a habit of choking it up after the bye week). But, otherwise, we have to remember that they went into Indy 7--7 and were handed two wins in a row. They went to Cincy and beat a Bengals team that didn't resemble the team that beat the Ravens and Steelers and that had earned its way into the Playoffs.

So, I'm holding off on saying the Pats should do anything other about winning the Division than building the best team they can build.

Last edited:
Still don't know what to expect about the Jets. Based on the mismatch yesterday, it seems pretty clear that they backed into the playoffs. Beating the Bengals was not that impressive of a feat considering they were limping into the playoffs as it was (Benson was injured, Palmer was playing like crap, lost several key defensive players). The Chargers although having an 11 game winning streak were winning close games and couldn't afford to make the mistakes they made against anyone. Manning and Addai (and Addai sucked all year) made that defense look like swiss cheese. They could be the real deal or just lucky to back into the playoffs and have a favorable playoff schedule.

The Jets will be restricted in what they can do in the offseason if there is no cap. They are getting old at several key positions (Faneca, Jones, Woody, Ellis, and Douglas). At Kris Jenkins age, weight, and injury history; I don't know if he will return. They still can't afford to play games where they have to put the offense on Sanchez's shoulders (as we saw late in the game yesterday).

This time last year, people were talking about the Dolphins being that team that could supplant the Pats. This year it is the Jets. In other years, it has bounced from team to team. Until I see another team take control of this division (and I don't count winning the division by tiebreaker in a season where Brady is on IR), I am doubtful of the hot new teams in this division.

I do agree that the jets were very lucky... But my point is the pats need a change of identiy... They need a infusion of some plamakers espically on defense..

What was clear was that the colts are a much better team than the jets and were able to exploit the injuries in the jets secondary.

Well, they were also able to exploit their run defense too. Addai shreaded their defense (5.0 YPC). It is also clear that the Jets shutdown the Jets run offense even before Shonn Greene went out. The Jets didn't even rush for 100 yards. It wasn't all about Manning although he played a key factor, but Manning even exploited Revis a few times.

The NFL changes so much from year to year that it makes no sense to focus on any team but your own. The Redskins and Siants had the exact same record in 2008 (8-8) and now one is the best team in the NFC and one possibly the worst.

The Pats are in a spot where some good moves can propel them to be a contender next year or bad moves could leave them out of the playoffs. That is more than enough for them to focus on rather than worrying about the Jets or Colts.

Even if I bought a season-ending comparison with any team that might play very differently next year, you can't just pay lip service to QB & WR's and leave out Special Teams (including Kickers) and Coaching, and you totally ignore the fact that the Pats are getting young on D and rebuilding already.

So, I don't think the Pats should build their team around the Jets. I'll grant that the Jets are a solid team with an OK--Good QB, an uneven but at times daunting Defense and a very good running game, but I'm not convinced that Sanchez didn't get as close as he's going to get to the SB yesterday and I'm also not convinced that many of Rex Ryan's strengths couldn't morph overnight into their evil twins and become huge weaknesses.

I guess you can figure out, then, that I'm not sold that the Jets are a Dynasty in the Making or even that they will be in the Playoffs next year. Yes, they had a Quality Win in San Diego (even if the Chargers have a habit of choking it up after the bye week). But, otherwise, we have to remember that they went into Indy 7--7 and were handed two wins in a row. They went to Cincy and beat a Bengals team that didn't resemble the team that beat the Ravens and Steelers and that had earned its way into the Playoffs.

So, I'm holding off on saying the Pats should do anything other about winning the Division than building the best team they can build.

sorry , I think we have edge in fg kicker, but special teams is a draw, I felt the whole special teams took a step back this year....

I do agree that the jets were very lucky... But my point is the pats need a change of identiy... They need a infusion of some plamakers espically on defense..

I agree the Pats need to and I expect they will add some playmakers on defense. But until I see otherwise, I think the Jets were very lucky to get into the playoffs and may have been overrated as a media darlings because of it.

Re: For the future, we should worry about the jets not the colts..

You're right. The fans worry though, and we'll be worrying bout the Jets plenty in the years to come.

I guess I'm in a minority out here, because I worry about every team every year.

Otherwise, the Jets have proven very little to me, other than that they won one quality game in San Diego, even if it was against a team that's accustomed to choking it up at home after the bye week. Otherwise, they were 7--7 going into Indy, were handed two games to get into the Playoffs and then beat a Bengals team that is notoriously uneven and inconsistent. They went back to Indy and got schooled in how an elite team rips an OK team apart after it shoots its wad in the first half.

Their defense is strong but aging and coming close to the end of its window of opportunity before they have to rebuild. They have a QB who has to get lucky and have a wideopen receiver to do anything more than 10 yards downfield and a Coach who is one meltdown away from the loony bin.

So, will I worry about them? Yep, but I'm also worried about the Fins and Bills, no more, no less, until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
I agree the Pats need to and I expect they will add some playmakers on defense. But until I see otherwise, I think the Jets were very lucky to get into the playoffs and may have been overrated as a media darlings because of it.

Which why we have the biggest edge in coaching, Ryan will shoot his mouth off, Belichick will plug along..

Yeah, that's pretty much how I read it. The media likes a cinderfella story and the Jets served it up. They had a quality win in SD, can't take that away from them, but otherwise they were 7--7, on their way to 8--8 or 7--9 when they were handed two games gift wrapped at the end of the season.

Which why we have the biggest edge in coaching, Ryan will shoot his mouth off, Belichick will plug along..

I thought Peyton said it well yesterday. "We didn't do a lot of talking this week, just focused on playing." (or words like that with the intention clear)

Yup, the colts shredded the jets with their running game. 377 yards passing 101 yards rushing.

It really isn't that difficult to rush for 100 yards (even for the colts) when you are passing for 377.

Well, they were also able to exploit their run defense too. Addai shreaded their defense (5.0 YPC). It is also clear that the Jets shutdown the Jets run offense even before Shonn Greene went out. The Jets didn't even rush for 100 yards. It wasn't all about Manning although he played a key factor, but Manning even exploited Revis a few times.

I think you're right in the sense that the Pats "Dynasty Identity" left town with Brewski and Vrabes and Richard and Rodney. They had tried on a new identity with the addition of Moss and Welker, but didn't cash it in at the end of 2007 and then saw how vulnerable it was with the injury to Brady and, to a lesser extent, to Welker at the end of this season.

Otherwise, I think an identity is something that evolves and isn't delivered by a couple of new players. I think a new Coach can help a team find its identity and, for all his problems, Rex Ryan did do that for the Jets this year; but, the Pats are clearly not in the market for a new HC.

That said, I too would like to see a pass rusher that gets in the heads of QB's like Dwight Freeney and a CB that changes game plans like Darrell Revis.

Yup, the colts shredded the jets with their running game. 377 yards passing 101 yards rushing.

It really isn't that difficult to rush for 100 yards (even for the colts) when you are passing for 377.

The Colts ran well off the bat. Most of their running came in the first half. You forget Addai was injured in the game and even had to go to the lockerroom himself and missed a decent chunk of the game. That might be why he only got 80 yards and the Colts only got 101 yards. Addai did shread the defense when he was in there. Was it good defense that got Addai injured? If Addai played the entire game, he might have gotten 150 yards for all we know.

Also, you didn't address how the Colts shutdown the Jets running game even before Shonn Greene got injured.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back