PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT for ESPN Haters: Writer Compares Rooting For Celtics to Rooting For Hitler

bigjunk1

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This is just getting amazing. ESPN Page 2 "writer" Jemelle Hill had this sweet quote in her latest column:

"Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

This was up for a few hours before editors yanked the quote while leaving the rest of the article.

Here is the link to the Deadspin story:

http://deadspin.com/5016575/celtics-fans-are-no-longer-hitler-sympathizers

Wow. Jamelle Hill has been very supportive of the Pats during the whole taping thing. She is one of my favorite writers on ESPN. One of the few I actually read now.

"Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan."

The blinking red button? Gorby was responsible for ending the Cold War. What terrible writing.

Celtics forum conversation - not football or Patriots related,Please move

The blinking red button? Gorby was responsible for ending the Cold War. What terrible writing.

For an ESPN writer, ignorance is bliss. It allows you to say any damn thing at all without know a damn thing about what the he!! you're talking about. Isn't it an editor's job to axe sh!t like this BEFORE it's printed?

This is just getting amazing. ESPN Page 2 "writer" Jemelle Hill had this sweet quote in her latest column:

This was up for a few hours before editors yanked the quote while leaving the rest of the article.

Here is the link to the Deadspin story:

http://deadspin.com/5016575/celtics-fans-are-no-longer-hitler-sympathizers

Someone is about to get fired.

I will say it once and I will say it again. Page 2 writers are crap with the exception of Bill Simmons and I ain't nearly as high on him as others on this board. Page 2 usually attracts crazies and conspiracy theorists.

BTW, I never judge the quality of a writer based on how he/she likes the teams that I root for. Even when Peter King was an unashamed Patriots rum-swap, I found his MMQB column very fluffy and not worth more than a skimming to find out a few nuggets or two within the massive amount of useless information. I hate the local media who are bigger homers than most of the extreme homer fans (Pete Sheppard and Fed Smerlas) as much as I hate the Patriots haters in the media. So just because Hill was supportive of the Patriots during Spygate doesn't mean she isn't a whack-job.

Weird, I always thought of the Celts as Omar al-Bashir, but I guess everyone's opinion is different.

I will say it once and I will say it again. Page 2 writers are crap with the exception of Bill Simmons and I ain't nearly as high on him as others on this board.
Don't forget the late Dr. Gonzo!
Page 2 usually attracts crazies and conspiracy theorists.
Oh wait, you didn't.

Last edited:
How do people here feel about the Colts or Yankees? How would anyone here feel rooting for them?

Rooting for the Celtics is like supporting inflation, unemployment and locusts. It's like praying for Eva Mendes to get married and for Brad Pitt to be disfigured.

It's like wishing dollar bills and free time for Pacman Jones. It's like hoping the pit bull doesn't take Michael Vick's pinky as a memento. It's like wanting Ron Artest's raps on repeat. It's like coveting fungus.

But the Celtics? If you showed any appreciation for them anytime in the '80s in Detroit, you risked being Jimmy Hoffa'ed.
Celtics fans, I'm aware you're probably plotting to kill me as you read this, but think of it this way: Even if you liked certain individual Yankees, even if you respected their brilliance as a team -- and I'm going to guess that's happened a few times -- does it ever sit right with you when the Yankees succeed?

Wow. Jamelle Hill has been very supportive of the Pats during the whole taping thing. She is one of my favorite writers on ESPN. One of the few I actually read now.

I like Jamelle as well. Personally, this article doesn't bother me at all. Yes, her choice of words is distasteful and a little far-fetched but I understand her point. I think the title of this thread takes what she is saying out of context. IMO the article is focused on Detroit fans rooting for the Celtics to win as the issue...not "all fans that root for the C's are rooting for Hitler". I can't say I'd think any differently of New England/Boston fans who would root in any circumstance for the Jets and Yankees...I would just choose better wording and comparisons.

Last edited:
are you kidding or what? what espn do you watch. she a first class asshol-. she has never been supportive of the pats never. she cant get by her own anti boston bias. there is no excuse for what she wrote none. she should be fired.

Last edited:
are you kiding or what? what espn do you watch. she a first class asshol-. she has never been supportive of the pats never. she cant get by her own bias. there is no excuse for what she wrote. none. she should be fired

She's never bothered me. I always thought she was better then most of the jerkoffs employed at espn.

Again, I'm a Heat fan so this doesn't bother me as much as you guys, but she's still a fat gorilla (and I don't mean that in a racist sense).

Again, I'm a Heat fan so this doesn't bother me as much as you guys, but she's still a fat gorilla (and I don't mean that in a racist sense).
espn should just go get a guy off the st to write for them because he might have more neutral objectivity then she does. shes just like your run of the mill sports fan. she doesnt know ****.

I like Jamelle as well. Personally, this article doesn't bother me at all. Yes, her choice of words is distasteful and a little far-fetched but I understand her point. I think the title of this thread takes what she is saying out of context. IMO the article is focused on Detroit fans rooting for the Celtics to win as the issue...not "all fans that root for the C's are rooting for Hitler". I can't say I'd think any differently of New England/Boston fans who would root in any circumstance for the Jets and Yankees...I would just choose better wording and comparisons.

Jamelle was a relative voice of reason during spygate given where she's employed. That said, considering it's been decades since the Celtics were a legit contender the whole premise of her piece is a stretch. Then her choice of wording or comparison - she's a professional writer for cripes sakes and words are her living - is reprehensible.

there is no excuse for what she wrote none. she should be fired.

I'm so flippin' sick and tired of reading or hearing about what's being allowed to spew from the media's mouths, and continuously watching all of it go unpunished or unaddressed by people in journalism who actually matter. Even though they pulled the statement, wtf kind of thought process do these writers have, and wtf kind of sense of entitlement do these editors have that makes them think they can say whatever the fk they want to, and get away with it? Tomass-e comes to mind, among so many others:mad::woohoo:

I'm so flippin' sick and tired of reading or hearing about what's being allowed to spew from the media's mouths, and continuously watching all of it go unpunished or unaddressed by people in journalism who actually matter. Even though they pulled the statement, wtf kind of thought process do these writers have, and wtf kind of sense of entitlement do these editors have that makes them think they can say whatever the fk they want to, and get away with it? Tomass-e comes to mind, among so many others:mad::woohoo:
i could not agree more. wtf was going thru her brain when she wrote that crap? did she ever stop and think her writing and choice of words was over the top?

Jamelle was a relative voice of reason during spygate given where she's employed. That said, considering it's been decades since the Celtics were a legit contender the whole premise of her piece is a stretch. Then her choice of wording or comparison - she's a professional writer for cripes sakes and words are her living - is reprehensible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending her poor judgement and writing skills. The entire article was pointless. All I'm saying is that I understand her overall point and that the title on this thread was a bit misleading to me. Based on the thread title, I expected to read about how rooting for the Celtics made me a Hitler supporter. That wasn't the case. To me, her point was that she was peeved by so-called fans on her side rooting for a rival...albeit old-school rival. I understand how that could be perceived as obnoxious if you have that much hatred for a rival team...which apparently she does (rightfully so or not). Do I agree with you that she's crazy to be so worked up over a rivalry over 20 years old? Sure, especially considering how good the Pistons have been and how crappy the Celt's have played for many years. But I do understand her general point.

However, you are right that she is a professional writer and should absolutely be held to a higher standard. But this is ESPN we're talking about. All I expect is irrelevant and biased tabloid trash. I get it every time, so I'm no longer surprised by it. Considering some of the stuff I've read this season, I found this pretty tame.:)

Last edited:
Race/religion other controversial issues which have nothing to do with the game have become normal for writers these days...because they have nothing to write about the game. Take scoop jackson for e.g last week about ray allen

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playo...ist=jackson_scoop&page=RayAllenfeature-080610

The beauty that became Boston's second win came in the defensive switch Rivers made by putting the responsibility of holding Kobe in check on Ray Allen. Unlike Game 1, when every Celtic that happened to be African-American had the assignment-by-design of throwing himself in front of Bryant to throw his game off, Allen was Rivers' script flipped. He was Rivers' lie.

was it really necessary and made the article or news any better ? no but there you go.
fact that ESPN pulls hill's lines in the arcticle without apology means nothing will be done.
she will just write again saying she was 'just joking' and has a lot of respect for the celtics blah blah..

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back