PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Football cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone else collect football cards in here? I mainly collect Brady, and sometimes Favre (love or hate the guy, he's good and was even better in the 90s, kind of like the Simpsons in that regard.)

I used to, but it got too expensive. Every once in a while I'll buy a pack just for fun, or a card or two at a shop because I decide I like the picture or something; or once in a while I'll buy one of those big plastic packages with 100 cards or so they have at department stores just to look through them. But if I were really going to be a collector, I'd need a lot more $$$ than I have available now. ;)

I hate to be one of those people who says, "Why can't it be like it was in the good ol' days?" but it really blows my mind. When I was a little kid and started collecting the 1983 Topps cards, you paid (IIRC) a quarter for a pack of 10-15 cards. These days it's more like 2-3 bucks for a pack of five or six cards. And then on top of it, you'd have to be really lucky to get a complete set for that year just by buying packs with all the inserts, etc.

The cards I do have, though, I'm rather proud of. Back in the late '90s, when eBay was just starting out, I bought several big lots of Patriots cards from guys, so I think I have at least one of just about every card from the late '70s into the early '90s. Going through those cards is about the only way to even learn about some of these long-forgotten guys who no one even talks about anymore. Garin Veris, Hart Lee Dykes, Ray Agnew, Tommy Hodson, Hugh Millen, Pat Harlow.

Two years ago, I won a Tom Brady autographed card on ebay for 150 bucks. There were only 50 of them made...one for each of his 50 TDs in 07. I have touchdown 3...his first bomb to Moss. I wasn't expecting to win it...while you might be thinking 150 dollars is ridiculous...Brady autographed cards can cost thousands.

This one in particular...I've seen some of the 50 go as high as 300 on ebay.

Other than that, I've never spent more than 40 dollars on a card.

Brady cards run slightly higher than Manning and Favre...and Brees is right behind Manning and Favre as far as value.

Sports Cards and Comic Books are a thing of the past for most collectors from what I see - Stores that used to speciallize and thrive in stuff like this has closed down in my area due to lack of interest,anymore...its a dying breed despite the value of some cards and comic books,however there will still be a certain small percentage of people that still find collecting these fun.

Stopped collecting a long time ago.

On my first pack of football cards I got a rare insert card with someone named Brett Favre. I had no idea who he was at the time (the card had him pictured with a Falcons jersey on). That card is the reason I became a Brett Favre fan. The better he did, the more the card would be worth.

I got three football cards autographed by Drew Bledsoe when I met him after training camp in 1997.

I've lost much of my interest in NFL trading cards since every card company pretty much produces the same thing and very similar variations. With that said, I do enjoy buy a box or two of Topps Chrome every year to see which rookies I can land and maybe one day I'll pony up the cash for Playoff National Treasures (only because it would be great to pull a Historical Cut).

Best card:

Jerry Rice RC, Topps 86 (pulled from a pack in the late 90s)

Now I pretty much tinker with baseball, which I find is a better investment because every position player is capable of being worth something (less so for pitchers). In football collecting, QBs, RBs and WRs are the only players of value and their value drops after only a few years (given they rarely produce at high levels for the length of their careers).

I have about 100 assorted Drew cards and another couple hundred asorted Patriots to go with my baseball card collection. (I was 10 or so when we drafted Drew and to this day I still think of him as one of my favorite sports stars of all time but that collection certainly was a waste of effort)

and I doubt if I have anything worth more than 10 bucks or so.

When I was a kid I had about 50-60 of these way cool cards. They looked like a television screen, with the football player's pic in the middle. This was back in the 1960's. Most of them ended up attached by clothes pins to the rear wheel support of my Stingray bike so they'd make an engine sound when the spokes whirled by. Sigh.

Saw a similar card a couple years ago on ebay for several hundred bucks.

Somewhere I have a 3-sheet set of Patriots cards from the 86 Superbowl. It is unpunched and has all the players on it from that team. It was put out by McDonalds. It was designed to fit into a 3-ring binder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back