PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Finding the next Wes Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah sure... that's why Wes is on pace for another 100+ catch 1400+ yard year. I've heard those arguments a million times and Welker is still killing it.

The question is a cost/benefit analysis.

It's absolutely a cost-benefit analysis - and there's no question that Brady has a huge comfort level with Welker.

But hypothetically if Brady were ever on a team where the best WR was say, someone like Reche Caldwell I'd guarantee they'd get about 60+ catches as well.

I love Welker - but for an expensive long-term contract, with many other slot/mid-range options already on the team, I'd spend my money elsewhere.

Depending on where they are cap-wise next season, I would actually consider over-paying him for another franchise season. In effect Welker will have gotten what he could have/should have accepted as a long-term signing bonus a few years back (@ $20 million guaranteed) - but he's simply running the risk of a career-ending injury every game.

I think Belichick is planning for life after Welker - but if for some reason there was still a need for him, if we want to keep him he's ours - for a hefty premium - for one more year.

Last edited:
I agree with Ivan: There is no next Wes Welker. We'll never see his like again. As TFB said, "There's only one Wes Welker."

And I loved the line about all black coaches and all white wide receivers. But I'm pretty sure we won't see that either.

Either most of this thread didn't watch the video or the thread has gone way off topic :D

The video made me laugh a fair bit, the Preston Parker bit had me creased up laughing.

Last edited:
Either most of this thread didn't watch the video or the thread has gone way off topic :D

The video made me laugh a fair bit, the Preston Parker bit had me in creased up laughing.
I felt the same way reading this thread and the Preston Parker piece was hilarious.

I agree with Ivan: There is no next Wes Welker. We'll never see his like again. As TFB said, "There's only one Wes Welker."

And I loved the line about all black coaches and all white wide receivers. But I'm pretty sure we won't see that either.

The 'next' Wes Welker does exist, he just happens to play for another team in the St.Louis Rams.

Of course he is a free agent this year, but common sense would dictate that Fisher and the Rams will make him very well paid in keeping him for another 4-5 yrs.

The 'next' Wes Welker does exist, he just happens to play for another team in the St.Louis Rams.

Of course he is a free agent this year, but common sense would dictate that Fisher and the Rams will make him very well paid in keeping him for another 4-5 yrs.

It'll be very interesting to see how the Rams handle his situation and how the Pats handle WW. In the Pats decide to let WW walk, they in theory will have the money to compete for DAs services.

I don't think the Rams will fanchise him but you never know...

Danny Amendola? His career is one of Welker's season's. To be fair to both Julian Edelman could someday be as good as Danny Amendola, neither will ever be as good as Wes Welker.

I will never understand how Patriot fans can just keep on running down Welker no matter what he does, it defies explanation, other than that those doing so don't actually watch the games.

I felt the same way reading this thread and the Preston Parker piece was hilarious.

"Don't give me deceptive speed. I want overt speed" was my favourite.

Danny Amendola? His career is one of Welker's season's. To be fair to both Julian Edelman could someday be as good as Danny Amendola, neither will ever be as good as Wes Welker.

I will never understand how Patriot fans can just keep on running down Welker no matter what he does, it defies explanation, other than that those doing so don't actually watch the games.

???

I am certainly not "running down" Welker by comparing Amendola to him. If you asked anyone with any knowledge whatsoever in the NFL circles who they'd compare Welker to--it'd be Danny Amendola 10 out of 10 times. It isn't like I suddenly just pulled this thought out of the air.

Considering the fact that Amendola is quicker, just as tough and gritty, and much younger than Welker there will be many more teams interested in his services as opposed to Welker at age 33, should they both hit free agency.

Amendola caught 85 passes in only 6 games started in the 2010 season, which speaks volumes to his ability.

IIRC, Welker wasn't putting up those kinds of numbers before he came here, so it's unfair to compare Amendola's potential to what Welker has done. I'd be very happy retaining Welker, but I'd also be very happy should Amendola hit the market (which will never happen in my opinion).

Last edited:
It'll be very interesting to see how the Rams handle his situation and how the Pats handle WW. In the Pats decide to let WW walk, they in theory will have the money to compete for DAs services.

I don't think the Rams will fanchise him but you never know...

I would think that with Jeff Fisher in tow and many decent pieces of the puzzle falling into place they will do everything they possibly can to keep Amendola.

That should entail a very nice deal, but a franchise tag could give them until July to reach an agreement at the same time.

Either way, I don't see any reason whatsoever they'd possibly want to let him go, and I seriously doubt that he ever hits the open market.

With his injury last year + missing several games this year, he should be able to be signed for something relatively reasonable...ex: in the area of 7 million per, maybe 8 at back end.

Last edited:
I can't believe the responses I am reading. Clearly most of the posters have not watched the video.

You guys are missing one hell of a funny video!

With the Pats running a multi-TE offense the value of a slot receiver is diminished. What they need are guys who can play outside the numbers to complement their collection of TEs.

Ha ha ... funny. explain please. wes is going to get another 100 catch season but i like your explanation how over the years this has gone down.

Ha ha ... funny. explain please. wes is going to get another 100 catch season but i like your explanation how over the years this has gone down.

Well considering that one of their star TEs has been injured most of the season they have been running more 3 WR sets.

And the point is if they intend to move on from Welker it makes more sense to find an outside receiver to replace him than another slot receiver.

Last edited:
Well considering that one of their star TEs has been injured most of the season they have been running more 3 WR sets.

And the point is if they intend to move on from Welker it makes more sense to find an outside receiver to replace him than another slot receiver.

He actually missed games every year.

In 3 yrs in the pats system he played 14 games , 14 games and 4 games this year. In that time he has 45,79 and 17 catches. somehow if his is giving you confidence that he will replace wes who in the last 3 yrs played 15,16 and 8 games and caught 86 ,122 and 60.i will be worried. all i say is let me play 15-16 yr a yr and produce before giving him the position.

When Julian Edelperson puts up 1200yds next year...you will all say its the system.*ducks out of the way*:scared::D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes