Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Feel Good Story

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Feb 12, 2012.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

A break from the political rhetoric. My nephew's a Florida boy and grew up a Gator fan and his dad tells a story about a recent outing.

I just wanted to tell your readers about the good people that live amongst us. I was with 12 other people celebrating a 50th birthday at Maggiano's in the WestShore Plaza in Tampa. I stood at the end of our large table to get a picture of everyone.
    I was backing up against a booth with two couples in it and apologized for intruding. I noticed one man had a Denver Broncos Tim Tebow NFL jersey on. I asked him where he got it and he replied that he ordered it online back when Tebow was drafted and it was around $170.
    I told him I had been looking everywhere for one to send to my son in Afghanistan and all I could find were T-shirts. He asked what my son was doing there and I told him he was in the Air Force and would be there for a few more months. He is in special ops.
    The man asked again if he was really in the Air Force stationed in Afghanistan and again I replied yes. He stood up and took the jersey off his back (revealing a Gator T-shirt) and gave the jersey to me to send to my son.
    I immediately said there was no way I could take it — a real NFL jersey with Tebow's name and number — from him. He and his wife insisted.
    Our whole table was extremely moved by this random act of generosity. I said to my girlfriend that it is a sign that I must do something for others to "pay it forward" and when she went over to thank them, they said that was exactly their intent also.
    I had them email me so I could send them pictures of my son wearing the jersey over there. He will be so excited, as he has a small group that are all Gator/Tebow fans.
    You always hear of friends who would give you the shirts off their back, but this was a complete stranger who wanted to support our troops by giving me the NFL jersey off his back to send to my son overseas.
    We went right from dinner to the Tampa Airport Post Office and put it in a priority box with a couple of cards. I sent him an Internet message telling him to Skype or Facebook me when he received a "special" package. I have not told him what is coming and am not sure if he is in an area where he can receive mail, but I am confident that we will soon be seeing a picture of my son wearing his new Tebow jersey in Afghanistan.

2. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 15 / -9

Excelllent post..... I really enjoyed it.
    I love that movie... pay it forward.

You must be really proud of your son.

3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Thanks Joe. Actually, my bro-in-law wrote it (his son). I'm glad you enjoyed it, wasn't sure how it would be received. It appears the kid who died left a great contribution.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +429 / 12 / -26

Articulates, contrary to public opinion, that the world is filled with more "good" people than "selfish, uncaring" people...

Nice story....

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

I am now enjoying my coffee instead of getting mad, great story Scout, it should be in the papers.
    God Bless The Troops.