OT: Favre, *$%# or get off the pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2311729

I'm real tired of his melodrama every year about whether he's going to retire or not. He's as bad as Parcells. He was a good, borderline great QB but you'd think the fate of the free world hinged on his decision sometimes. "and I don't want to be just OK", got news for you Brett your decision making skills aren't just ok they stink. Sure he can still fling it around but more than ever before those throws end up hurting his team. I'm not a GB fan but if it would seem to me he's just hurting the future of this team right now. THey aren't going to win a Super Bowl with him so IMO they might as well move on and start getting the next guy (Rodgers) the playing time. He sat for a year which alot of people say is good for newbies but to have to wait another full season to get in there just prolongs his development. Walk away Brett, do Green Bay and those sick of the love-in a break.

Last edited:
I love the way that ProFootballTalk.com always sarcastically refer to him as "Lord Favre". "Lord Favre" grants an audience to the Packer's GM and coach . . . Great stuff.

:D :D :D

This guy might be the biggest publicity whore in sports. He has ESPN come down to his home for a sit down to announce - NOTHING. He hasn't decided. Didn't we already know that?

This was nothing more than Brett not seeing his name in lights in a few weeks. He says he is leaning towards retirement so that in a month he can change his mind and set off a whole round of ball washing from his pals in the media.

The guy was great for a 3 or 4 year stretch. That was almost a decade ago. Now he is nothing more than Aaron Brooks. I don't see Brooks as the subject of many what will he do now that the Saints are going to dump him pieces.

Last edited:
He's got heavy Willie Mays syndrome...NEEDS to retire or just be embarrassed again and again!! If he wishes people to remember what he was then he needs to get off the field now..or at least help Rodgers with his game and play some..NOT start. A shell of his former self..he should hang it up and not put his playing in the spotlight. It's obvious he can't handle the truth!!

Pats726 said:
He's got heavy Willie Mays syndrome...NEEDS to retire or just be embarrassed again and again!! If he wishes people to remember what he was then he needs to get off the field now..or at least help Rodgers with his game and play some..!!

What was his quote last training camp wrt Rodgers that IIRC, "I'm not here to teach him" or something to that effect?
Real classy and team player.........NOT
What sealed it for me (as I posted before) was him calling out and getting in the face of an offensive lineman for a false start penalty on national TV. Who calls him out for all those stupid picks thrown into triple coverage???

Just my $0.02,

I am a HUGE fan of Brett Favre but even I hated to see him the way he was in his last interview.

With two minutes left in the game, do I want the ball? I don't know

YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!! How can you not know. You are Brett Favre, you don't want the ball, you need the ball.

he let me down with that statement

can you imagine him coming back and having to lead a comeback in the last two minutes.

"......and onto the field comes Aaron Rodgers!?!?!? Brett Favre has told coach McCarthy that he doesn't want the ball and to put Rodgers in"

He'd better come back, I have Javon Walker in my fantasy league and I surely don't want Aaron Rodgers being his QB :(

brdmaverick said:
I am a HUGE fan of Brett Favre but even I hated to see him the way he was in his last interview.

With two minutes left in the game, do I want the ball? I don't know

YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!! How can you not know. You are Brett Favre, you don't want the ball, you need the ball.

he let me down with that statement

can you imagine him coming back and having to lead a comeback in the last two minutes.

"......and onto the field comes Aaron Rodgers!?!?!? Brett Favre has told coach McCarthy that he doesn't want the ball and to put Rodgers in"

I still don't get the Favre love. He went to 2 SB games in a row and won only one of them. If this is how one-time SB winners are treated, then where is the love for Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer?

The last straw for me was Hurricane Katrina when Favre LEFT his family in Mississippi and then held press confrences everyday about not knowing if he should go down there or stay in Green Bay......his excuse for staying in GB was that he did not want to eat his family's food and leave them without. He is a dirtbag and should have retired years ago.

Bill's Girl said:
I still don't get the Favre love. He went to 2 SB games in a row and won only one of them. If this is how one-time SB winners are treated, then where is the love for Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer?

The last straw for me was Hurricane Katrina when Favre LEFT his family in Mississippi and then held press confrences everyday about not knowing if he should go down there or stay in Green Bay......his excuse for staying in GB was that he did not want to eat his family's food and leave them without. He is a dirtbag and should have retired years ago.

well, the thing is that I was a Favre/Green Bay fan even before their Super Bowl win. I just loved the way he played. I like seeing a quarterback get up in a linebacker's face (chris hovan) or go nose to nose with a DL (warren sapp)

brdmaverick said:
well, the thing is that I was a Favre/Green Bay fan even before their Super Bowl win. I just loved the way he played. I like seeing a quarterback get up in a linebacker's face (chris hovan) or go nose to nose with a DL (warren sapp)

But how do you feel about him today?

BelichickFan said:
He'd better come back, I have Javon Walker in my fantasy league and I surely don't want Aaron Rodgers being his QB :(

I don't think he's coming back. I know he likes the limelight and the media attention, but I think he's serious when he says he's leaning toward retirement.

With the state of that team in Green Bay, he'd just be subjecting himself to another miserable season, replete with more interceptions than touchdowns and a further cheapening of his mythology.

Bill's Girl said:
But how do you feel about him today?

i'll be the first to admit that he had a terrible season last season, but many act as if this has gone on the past five years.

Most of us seem to forget that in the '04 season that Brett Favre threw for 30 TDs and 4,000 yards in leading the Packers to another division title and playoff berth. Everyone makes it seem as if the past five years have all been like last year, but that is clearly not the case.

I notice that many people resent Favre because of the media's enfatuation with him. On this account I can somewhat understand his haters, because it is true, the media (especially John Madden) build him up to be better than he really is. They seem to bring up his personal issues too much too. Don't let the talking bobbble heads make you resent a great player who is fun to watch. Don't take out your hate for the media on Favre. Throw all the media hype out, and you will be able to enjoy watching a great player.

You ask me why I would like Favre, the way I see it, what is not to like? As a child learning the game of football I was watching a quarterback who...

-is a good guy
-has a cannon for an arm
-always looks like he is having fun out there
-excelling in the worst football conditions ever (Green Bay)
-as mentioned before, he was the only quarterback that I have seen mix it up with defensive players.
-he plays the game as if he is playing in his backyard (sure, that can get him into trouble sometimes, but he is definitely great to watch)
-the guy plays hurt, has started 200+ straight games and you know he has suffered many injuries and many big hits in that streak

the guy has stats to back it up too.

he has won a Super Bowl
he has thrown for 30+ TDs in 8 seasons
he has thrown for over 4000 yards in 4 seasons

football will not be the same without Brett Favre

The Patriots will always be by far my favorite team, but Brett Favre is my favorite player.

It has been going on for years. It just got worse this year. For several years now Favre has been a Jake Plummer/Aaron Brooks clone who puts up huge numbers and makes huge team killing mistakes in critical spots. And when he does, the announcers cover for him and his own team fires it's DC because they can't cross Lord Favre.

As for the mixing it up with defensive players, it was cool until him and Sapp started staging it.

Last edited:
The media ballwashing of Favre over the years has destroyed any liking I once had for this player. The fact that he is "pulling an Emmitt" this year in the runup to the Superbowl further detracts.

as I've mentioned before, Brett Favre is my favorite player, but there is still one thing I could never understand, whenever the discussion comes up of which qb would you like to have with two minutes to go, favre's name always gets a lot consideration. Favre has accomplished a lot over the years, but he never was great in two minute situations. I can recall more times when he has failed at the two minute drill than he has succeeded. He is just ok at best at the two minute drill.

of course we all know that Brady is hands down the two minute drill king

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back