Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Explorers find 1780 British warship in Lake Ontario

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jun 14, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I find this story absolutely fascinating. But especially the last line, that there's been 4,700 ship wrecks in the Great Lakes.

Explorers find 1780 British warship in Lake Ontario

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080614/ap_on_sc/shipwreck_found

By WILLIAM KATES, Associated Press Writer
    Sat Jun 14, 12:33 AM ET

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - A 22-gun British warship that sank during the American Revolution and has long been regarded as one of the "Holy Grail" shipwrecks in the Great Lakes has been discovered at the bottom of Lake Ontario, astonishingly well-preserved in the cold, deep water, explorers announced Friday.

Smith, who was shown underwater video of the find, said: "If it wasn't for the zebra mussels, she looks like she only sunk last week."

The dark, cold freshwater acts as a perfect preservative, Smith said. At that depth, there is no light and no oxygen to hasten decomposition, and little marine life to feed on the wood.

The Ontario went down on Oct. 31, 1780, with a garrison of 60 British soldiers, a crew of about 40, mostly Canadians, and possibly about 30 American war prisoners. Hatchway gratings, the binnacle, compasses and several hats and blankets drifted ashore the next day. A few days later the ship's sails were found adrift in the lake. In 1781, six bodies from the Ontario were found near Wilson, N.Y. For the next two centuries, there were no other traces of the ship.
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

In the last 2-3 weeks the Science Channel (I think it was Sci...maybe Hist Intl) has had various shows about the shipwrecks of the Great Lakes. Usually on Saturday nights, I guess it counts as filler...but anyway, cool story.
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

I live a few miles from Lake Michigan Ocean. I still can't believe the size of it and the stories of how big the swells get. In that warship article, they said the ship was 500 feet below surface, yikes.