PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ex-Celtic DJ dies at 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember they traded for him to specifically guard (I believe Toney) from Philly, they called him the Boston Strangler. I am shocked. A true team player and a true Boston Celtic. Condolences to his family.

Best defensive guard I ever saw. Totally shocking news. I remember when the Celtics got him (I believe for Rick Robey). I remembered him from the 1979 Finals and the great work he did against Washington. I knew right away it was a good pickup for the Celtics. He goes down in history as one of the great Celtics in history. I know there's Cousy, Sharman and White, but somehow DJ belongs in that top pantheon of great Celtic guards as well.

Bob G

Last edited:
DJ was a great player, I was fortunate enough to be watching on TV that night he scored after Bird stole the ball. I was never a huge basketball fan so it was just luck on my part to witness one of the greatest plays as it happened. Thanks DJ for a memorable night from my childhood.

Last edited:
One of the most underated players in the NBA, when it was a great league, said to see him go .. too young..:(

I'm very upset about this. He was my second favorite Celtic of all time. A hard nosed, tough, clutch, bull of a man. R.I.P.

"Wick Wobey" for DJ, at least that's the way Cousey said it. DJ will be missed. Loved the Russell era to Bird era Celtics.
Note to all geezers here...watch your weight. Stay healthy.

I met DJ at a bar one night (circa 1994) he was a really nice guy.

I hope the old saying these things happen in threes isn't true but Red then DJ within a short time span. Very sad.

What a shocker, not much to say that ain't been said. RIP, condolensces to his family.

I remember the big play too, and many others. He was a great underrated player on a great team. RIP DJ.

I grew up watching DJ....helped make that part of my childhood special. Bird always says he was the best player he ever played with.....enough said!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back