Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Eminem vs. Big Ben (Eminem disses Big Ben in new song)

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by thenepatsrule, Apr 30, 2010.

1. thenepatsrule

thenepatsrule Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

here is the link...
    http://au.eonline.com/uberblog/b178888_diss_of_day_eminem_vs_big_ben.html
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

Re: OT:Eminem vs. Big Ben (eminem disses big ben in new song)

Eminem sucks nowadays but that was a pretty good rhyme. :)
  3. MoneyFX

MoneyFX Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Better than every other rapper in the game actually. And listen to Not Afraid. New joint is off da hook.
  4. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

I could disagree with this in over a hundred different ways, but that's another time for another thread. :cool:
  5. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Regardless of his entire body of work recently, "despicable" is one of the sickest I've heard from anyone in a while.
  6. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Meathead Ben probably took it as a compliment.

btw saying that ______ is the best rapper in the game today isn't saying a whole lot, sadly
  7. Yfz01

Yfz01 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Eminem has been on fire lately! Everything since Relapse has been gold, Refill, verse on Forever, verse on Drop the World, Warning (diss), Despicable, Westwood Freestyle, Airplanes II, and now Not Afraid.
  8. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

"...as rowdy as Roethlisberger in a bathroom stall?"

wow, the endorsement dollars must be just lining up now for Ben...awwww, too bad.
  9. Jakelithurdz

Jakelithurdz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Right here....right now

I'm absolutely prepared to argue all of your points
  10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

Rappers still working right now that I would put ahead of Eminem (this is done entirely off the top of my head)...

1. Jay-Z
    2. Nas
    3. The Game
    4. Lupe Fiasco
    5. Kid Cudi
    6. Wiz Khalifa
    7. Lil Wayne
    8. Kanye West
    9. Mos Def
    10. Raekwon
    11. T.I.
    12. Bone Thugs
    13. Pharell
    14. Talib Kweli
    15. Outkast (would put Big Boi AND Andre above Eminem)

By the way, I consider The Marshall Mathers LP to be one of the better hip-hop albums of all time. But Eminem's recent body of work has fallen off compared to what he usd to do. I do like "Not Afraid" but that's become the exception, and not the rule, with Eminem.
  11. Jakelithurdz

Jakelithurdz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Insane, Stay Wide Awake, Old Time's Sake, Beautiful, Underground, Careful What You Wish For, Elevator, and My Darling are GREAT songs from Eminem's most recent work, which I may say is a good percentage of a small pool.

Secondly, while some of your list I may think is reasonable or debatable, I absolutely disagree with Pharell, Game, Lil' Wayne, Kid Cudi, and Kanye West being even close to that list. Their recent bodies of work are decent, but they don't hold a candle to Eminem's. Like the Slim Shady LP, Relapse will go down as a classic a few years from now, even though it may not compare with The Marshall Mathers LP or the Eminem Show.

Listen to Em's verse on Forever to get a preview of what's coming up soon.
  12. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't know how people can "like", "listen to", and give money to idiots like Kanye and "Lil Wayne".

As for me, I don't like lyrics in music, words tend to just get in the way. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong I LOVE vocals, I just don't like words, I find that "unspoken word" or scatting to be far more expressive than having written lyrics. Music can convey stories and emotions all in and of itself.

That said, I still do like some singer song writes such as Billy Joel. As before, though, the music is still more important than the lyrics, so sorry Bob Dylan, you'll just have to stick with being reading material.
  13. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Can't argue with Jay-Z and Nas as they are in my opinion, the best rappers in the game. They are 1A and 1B in my book. I was skeptical with "Distant Relatives", but it's a pretty damn good album from Nas and Damien Marley.

But this is where it ends. I'm sorry, but I think guys like Kid Kudi and Lupe Fiasco are garbage. Lil Wayne can be good, but he's become obsessed with auto-tune and seems like he's breaking away from rap. Kanye West is extremely overrated as his lyrics are cheesy and are made for radio ready hits. The Game used to be good as his major label debut was good. However, his new stuff is pretty bad. T.I. used to be terrible but has gotten better over time. His new album with him collaborating with major artists worked really well. It's an insult to Eminem saying Phrarell is a better rapper. Outkast has gone downhill, haven't heard Raekwan's music

The most underrated rappers in my opinion are Mos Def and Talib Kweli. I think Mos Def is really good as his debut album was great, but he'd be even better if he hooked up a legit producer as his beats and production on his albums are awful. I don't know if this counts as rappers as they are a group, but The Roots are really good and underrated.

With that said, I think Eminem is the 3rd best rapper in the game.
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  14. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

I had completely forgotten about this thread.

The thing that hurts Kid Kudi is the fact that so many people completely overrate him. But his last album is pretty solid. Both him and Lupe are good lyrically, IMO.

Back in 2008 this would have been true. However, he's gotten away from the auto-tune for the most part and has gotten back to the stuff that made him successful. That rock song, "Prom Night" or whatever it was called was probably the worst thing I've ever heard, though.

I can see you on this one. I like Kanye, though, because he's a different rapper than most. His songs get me ready for a night out.

Lyrically, The Game is still solid. His career was hurt when Dre took 50 Cent's side over his. Still, the album that he produced without Dre was still good, though it was still ignored. Now he's supposedly back with Dr. Dre making a new album so watch out for him again. "The Documentary" is also considered one of the better albums of the past decade or so. I expect to see that Game again.

I think it's the exact opposite with T.I. I like his older, meaner stuff better than his newer "I've seen the light" stuff. He's still good though. Pharell, when he wants to rap, is an extremely good lyrical rapper. Outkast you're selling short because they haven't done anything in a while. If you haven't heard Raekwan's music, you should.

Agreed on all fronts.

I disagree. He used to be one of the best, if not THE best. But he's gone away from the style that put him on top. What made Em great to me was the same thing that made Ice Cube great: his ability to rap angry. He's since gone pretty far away from that. He still has a few songs that match that description on his new album, and it's certainly better than "Encore", but he's not at the level he used to be at in the early 2000's. Just my opinion.
  15. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I'm not a big fan of rap, but I do enjoy Mos Def. Very underrated, from what I can see.
  16. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I needed a break from football threads as there is nothing to talk about.
    I'll give them a second chance as you know how it is, sometimes you don't like certain artists and songs but eventually end up liking them.

The Carter 3 was okay but I got tired of it pretty quickly. I don't mind when rappers explore though the rock territory as Lil Wayne and Birdman had a pretty dope rock remix of "Stuntin' like my daddy". But Lil Wayne's new album was terrible.
    I like Kanye, but I don't think he's the greatest rapper like he says he is. In fact, I have plenty of his songs in my music library. And your right, there is a time and place to listen to his music.
    I really liked the game when he first came out as "The Documentary" was sick. But his new singles he put out are pretty bad.
    I had to look it up, but I had a feeling Raekwan was from The Wu-Tang Clan as they have 100 members. ;) I like Wu-Tang but I haven't heard much of his solo stuff.
    "Not Afraid" is a step in the right direction as it's a pretty damn good song. But I agree, "Relapse" wasn't that good. However, I did like Travis Barkers remix of "3am".
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  17. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

#18 Jersey

TBC is one of the better rappers out there these days.
  18. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Mos Def is probrably one of the best artists in Hip Hop. It's a shame that the likes of Mos Def get overlooked in favour of big mainstream guys. Some of the best true rappers and lyricists are underground. Sure the mainstream guys like Jay Z make good music but I don't think they could cope with some of those underground artists like Celph Titled when it comes to the bread and butter of rhymes and lyrics. Celph Titled's music and rhymes hit hard.

Not from this era but Big Daddy Kane was another true rapper and most of his music destroys anything Jay Z, Eminem or Kanye could ever dream of putting out.
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  19. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

Do you like Immortal Technique?
  20. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, most of his songs have meaning aswell as some nice beats. Theres a tune from one of his albums called 'Apocrypha'. It's only a short interlude but I had it on repeat for ages.
  21. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's because Mos Def's production on his albums are extremely crappy. I said in an earlier post that Mos Def is one of the most underrated rappers but gets overlooked because his albums are very raw. I firmly believe that he is one big producer away from hitting the "big time".
  22. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Another Ben diss on his new album, which just recently leaked.

Eminem - Almost Famous

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  23. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1 99.8% pop music

I started listening to hip hop when I was like 10/11, back in the early 90's. Wu-Tang Clan, Mobb Deep, Onyx, B.I.G., Nas (when he was younger), Rakim, Kool G Rap, Big Pun, early Snoop and Dre, even 50 before he signed with Shady up until his second albulm....thats what I call Hip Hop, nowadays its more Hip Pop.

Probably stopped buying any music since Eminem's 2nd albulm or 50's 2nd albulm.

BTW though, that line about Big Ben was nice though, gotta give it to Em' he still got it here and there.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  24. Cedric

Cedric Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I consider Recovery to be a “solid effort” with adequate replay value. By no means a classic disc, and doesn’t compare to any body of work he’s released at The Eminem Show and prior-to. I can insert Recovery, and start finding myself skipping past all but 5 or so tracks. In The Eminem Show and every disc before that, I never encountered this problem. Lyrically he still has it, but in this go-around he’s dropped a few notches musically. Outside of this album, today’s Em has demonstrated flashes of talent, going off on certain occasions such as Drake’s “Forever,” or his Mariah Carey diss “The Warning”; but lost the in-borne consistency that nurtured him up until The Eminem Show. Detroit-focused, I’m more interested in what Royce da 5’9” releases nowadays, both on lyrical and musical fronts. “[…] I came up behind Em in ‘99 and I took the baton / I’ve been running **** ever since then, slaughtered MCs / […]” -- (part of a Royce verse on Slaughterhouse’s “Onslaught 2”). From a marketing standpoint, there’s no disputing that Em is still one of the best in the biz for obvious reasons. He can spit the ABC’s over a Dre beat and create a financially-endowed single, based solely off of a worldwide reputation. Outside of his here-to-stay Stan fanbase, Em’s main objective this go-around is to prove to ‘boom-bap hungry’ elite circles he’s still a force to be reckoned with after Relapse’s poor reception, but falls short of this for said reasons.

Though they may not be as lyrically profound, a small list of other MCs that have released more musically complete albums with higher listenability and replay value, ‘09-‘10, both in the LP and mixtape circuits:

Jay-Z - Blueprint 3
    Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
    Drake - So Far Gone (EP), Thank Me Later
    Jay Electronica - (nearly his entire body of work ‘09-‘10 -- he‘s that consistent)
    Curren$y - This Ain’t No Mixtape, Pilot Talk
    Wiz Khalifa - Deal or No Deal, Kush and Orange Juice
    50 Cent - Before I Self Destruct
    (etc.)

I purposely excluded today’s active MCs that haven’t released an album since the inception of Relapse and Recovery, to remain fair, timeline-wise; ‘cause anyone can grab from a ‘90s lyricists and say such-and-such is beasting on today’s Em, which while is true, is also a stretch in trying to make a point. I can’t include Kanye’s Good Ass Job LP since it hasn‘t been released, but after hearing the single “Power,” it can easily be said he’s well on his way to creating a record-fifth hit album with higher listenability.

I’m looking at PaPZ187’s sentiments that today’s hip-hop hasn’t been the same since the ‘90s, and I understand his musical tastes and angle. He comes from the breed of up north listeners that desire lyricists with a strong boom-bap presence. And when he says hip-POP, I’m assuming he’s talking about the beat, and/or lack of street-bangers, and would probably opt for indie releases. I personally don’t have a problem with modern-day producers such as Scott Storch, Just Blaze, Dr. Dre, Ski Beatz and the likes, but he’d probably opt for Alchemist, DJ Premiere, DJ Quik, Stoupe and the likes. PaPZ187 would probably leave the recent Recovery out of the disc changer, and instead listen to the recent Season of the Assassin from Vinnie Paz, that other white guy (if Italian counts). He may desire that not only should Em backtrack into his SSLP and MMLP ways, but even further back to when he was Infinite and rapped alongside Sway and Tech ‘Wake Up Show’ lyricists. He needs to be able to listen to an artist’s album, and say to himself, “This guy isn’t corny or a faggot…” as Termanology had felt when releasing the song, “Tight Pants Are For Girls.” He may feel like Dr. Dre and Snoop are allowing too much pop to inhabit hip-hop, so in this sense may only halfway agree with Kokane’s sentiments in the recent “Twilight Zone.” His definition of hip-hop is probably demonstrated on Kanye West’s song “Classic,” minus Kanye’s verse. I personally am not that rugged, as I would much rather listen to, say… Wiz’s latest disc over the recently deceased Guru’s latest disc, because the production is that profound. (Guru’s producer Solar’s an all-around disgrace, inside and outside the studio, b.t.w. I‘m sure almost all walks would agree, regardless…). In closing and to counter PaPZ’s sentiments, let’s continue installing producers utilizing state-of-the-art production techniques, as they aren’t always electro dominated. Jay Electronica sounded 10x nicer utilizing Just Blaze for “Exhibit A,” then if he would have pulled from his collection of J. Dilla beats for that particular track.
  25. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

Nice to meet another Wiz fan. I have friends up in north Florida that just saw him in concert last night. They showed him a blunt and he invited them behind stage to smoke. They said it was pretty cool. Rap concerts have never really been my thing, personally, but I probably would have made an exception to see him. He has a down south style with an up north feel (Pittsburgh is somewhere in between and hasn't really been put on the map in the rap game except for him).

As for your list, I can't stand Drake. I think he's absolutely annoying. Loved "The Blueprint 3", haven't listened to Jay Electronica, like Curren$y, and haven't heard anything from 50 Cent recently (though I am a huge fan of "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" if that gives you a hint of what I think about his other body of work since). As a matter of fact, I think "Get Rich" is one of the better rap albums of the past decade. Definitely top five material, IMO.
  26. Cedric

Cedric Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

@KontradictioN -

Wiz is that dude, I definitely agree; and is my favorite rapper hailing from Pittsburgh. If opportunity comes your way, do set time aside to see him perform. “Mezmorized” and “The Statement” gets constant rotation on my iPod. Glad to see himself and Curren$y chopping it up often.

Can’t stand Drake? It’s odd you’d hold Pharrell in higher regards to Drake. If you want to hear him showcase his lyrical prowess, listen to “Bollywood Flow”, “9AM In Dallas”, “Think Good Thoughts” and the storyteller “Fear.” In boom-bap circles, Drake’s fairly respected, and only catches flack for the fact he comes from an acting career, and has garnered critical acclaim in groupie circles via singing tracks and bubblegum Young Money singles. Drake’s one of those versatile MCs that can collabo with Nicki Minaj in a redundant song about sex, and then turn around and collabo with Elzhi and Saukrates in a lyrically-dense punchline track, and then finally with an R&B diva (or himself filling this role) in a storyteller, which happens to be his sweet-spot. Though Thank Me Later isn’t a game changer, neither is Em’s Recovery. And I’d hold Drake’s TML in higher regards to Pharrell’s In My Mind. Singing-wise, Drake and Pharrell are neck-and-neck.

Curren$y is fresh, no doubt. Love the production on Pilot Talk, for the singles that have been released and advertised so far. “Prioritize” gets constant rotation on my iPod.

Peep Jay Elect’s work when you get the chance, ‘cause he‘s blowing up fast and is in heavy demand. As it stands, people are calling him Nas’ second anointing. While Curren$y is what you described Wiz, an up north-influenced Southern lyricist, Jay Elect hails from New Orleans (like Curren$y) but sounds strictly up north; nothing like the South (but still shouts out and represents for the South). Start with “Exhibit A” and “Exhibit C.” Fun facts: Himself, Curren$y, Mos Def and Stalley are part of a super group called Center Edge Territory, and have yet to release their debut; and himself and Mos Def plan on partnering for an album titled Simpatico.

Post-GRoDT, 50 Cent hasn’t been able to release a game changer, and I take these releases for what they are: adequate East coast gangster rap albums. Timeline-wise, I can measure Eminem’s albums since The Eminem Show against Fifty since GRoDT, and would prefer all of Curtis’ discs over his. Before I Self Destruct has higher replay value than Recovery.
  27. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

I just can't stand Drake's voice over autotune. The way he looks makes me pretty angry as well. He just has one of those faces that I want to punch. Pretty stupid reasons, I know. But that's why.
  28. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's an insult that you put Drake in the same category as Nas and Jay-Z. "Thank Me Later" was painful to listen to as I checked it out just because of the hype. Eminem makes him look like the pretender his is in "Forever". Drake also sounds cheesy when he sings.

Everybody has their opinion but if your down with his music, then it's all good because that's all that matters. However, Drake is one of those guys either you love him or you hate him. I happen to hate him (not personally). And 50 Cent is falling off the face of the earth.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  29. Cedric

Cedric Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not by a longshot. Jay-Z needed Drake for the hook in “Off That,” and Drake admits he must cover versatile ground to become superstar status, when admitting in “Scriptures”: “I meet quotas while you rappers are having sleepovers / Spending nights in the studio, trying to beat Hova.” All 3 lyricists mutually respect each other off the mic, and view each other in the same light. Drake is to Jay-Z what Jay Elect is to Nas. If Weezy goes out, Drizzake’s next in line to take the Young Money reigns.

That album contains many gems and to say that it’s painful has to be ignorance. “Fireworks” is constantly rotated on my iPod, as well as “You Know, You Know” which didn’t make the album cut. I can listen to that particular song, and cite strong similarities to the laid-back braggadocio flow Jay-Z’s camp, Roc Nation, delivers.

Yourself and I can agree Eminem stole the show on “Forever,” but once again, to reduce Drake to a ‘pretender’ has to be ignorance. ‘Cause while his verse on the cut wasn’t the greatest, it was good; enough to take 2nd place, in front of Weezy and Kanyeeze.

He’s been roasting the hook game. My personal favorite hook by far has been his offering to Timberland’s “Say Something” off of Timbo’s Shock Value II. Song-wise, Drake’s “Something” off of the mixtape. The only way one can dislike his singing is if they aren’t big on love ballads. To each their own, when it comes to Drake’s singing.

I think Drake does an excellent job of covering all grounds to cater to everyone’s likes, and following this up with a balanced and musically-enriched debut LP along the way does this notion justice.

(LOL) Nahhhhh… You say “not personally,” but what I’m taking away from all this is you’re bashing Drake from every angle possible, so it has to be. At least KontradicioN came forth and was honest about it, I can respect that. (Laugh)

Artistically? I stand by my sentiments for Before I Self Destruct, notwithstanding sales; even though he’s traditionally a Plat artist and could only push Gold this go-around. Marketing wise? Google his entrepreneurial net worth and tell me what you come up with.
  30. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Like I said, it's an opinion. My musical tastes aren't slow mo rapping and then singing. His songs were boring for me. It's just not my style.
    I thought he was the worst of the bunch. The song would've been better without him (Drake).
    I think that song and his style in general are just bizarre. Just my opinion.
    He'll have his hits, but I don't see him lasting long in the game.
    How can I hate somebody if I don't even know him? That's a little weird. I just don't like his music and think he will fade out.
    I should've clarified as I meant musically. When you thought of rap in 2003-2004, the first names that popped into people's heads were 50 Cent and Jay-Z. Now, 50 Cent is almost irrelevant (musically). Of course he's going to make bank because he's branded himself like Puff Daddy with their clothing lines, producing other artists, etc. I'm not arguing that.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010