PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eli Manning Becomes Highest Paid NFL Player (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT: Eli Manning gets 6yr/$97m deal with $35m guaranteed

Any way to keep this news from Brady? Yikes! If Manning can get $15.3 million a year, what will Brady command? Hopefully (and I expect), Brady will approach his next contract negotiations the same way he did the last - he wants to get good money, but his legacy is more important than milking the Pats for every penny.

Now I hope next year is an uncapped year so the Pats can afford to pay him without ruining their future cap.

Source: Eli Manning, New York Giants agree to six-year, $97.5 million contract extension - ESPN

re: OT Eli Manning Becomes Highest Paid NFL Player (merged)

Beginning of the end for the Giants, imo. You cant pay slightly above average players more than anyone else in the league and live to tell about it. The guy still hasnt done squat without a 6'6 All-Pro receiver to lob the ball up to.

he should send $100K to Asante Samuel for dropping the sure INT in the SB and for letting a TD go right through his arms. AS picks off the first - as he should have, we win. If AS had knocked down the TD pass instead of going for the INT and whiffing, we win and...

Manning still stinks!

Well, it's actually just over $15M per and is really a 7 year deal that will roll in his final rookie year at $9.4M so it beats Big Ben's deal of last year for 8/$102. The important thing is he got $35M guaranteed. That is the part that a new Brady deal will key off of. And that could have been worse since it was anticipated he would get over $40M. Peyton got $34.5M guaranteed in his 2004 deal. Tommy will likely get what at first blush appears to be a little less, but he may end up with more guaranteed money spread throughout the deal. Tommy has low salary at the end of his current deal that can be used to lower the average on essentially the same level of deal.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, Manning and the team are on the verge of agreeing to a six-year extension worth $97.5 million.

Glazer reports that the deal includes $35 million in guaranteed money.

Factoring in the $9.4 million in base salary that Manning already was due to earn in 2009, the annual average of the seven-year, $106.9 million arrangement is $15.2 million.

It certainly is a lot to pay for a guy who may not kill an otherwise loaded team. But that's the nature of the QB market in the NFL in this era. Patsfans should just be eternally grateful we have a guy who is fully deserving of that level of compensation...

Giants, Eli striking a long-term deal | ProFootballTalk.com

Re: OT: Eli Manning gets 6yr/$97m deal with $35m guaranteed

$97 million for what? The guy is a mediocre QB, IMHO. :eek:

Updated information from New York Daily News (once again, ESPN has it wrong).

$107.5 million; $35 guaranteed; seven years.

Here's the link (takes a long time to load for some reason)

Giants make Eli Manning richest quarterback in NFL; Super Bowl MVP agrees to 7-year, $107M contract

$107.5 doesn't appear anywhere in that article unless they updated it since you first saw it. Says the same thing Glazer says, $106.9 including this season and $35M guaranteed. And as they stated, everyone expected a deal over $100M and this one was projected as high as $120M and a $20M AAV so this is not bad news for the Pats. Brady will come in a little under on AAV at first blush but will likely get more guaranteed or more in the first 3.

The important thing is he got $35M guaranteed. That is the part that a new Brady deal will key off of. And that could have been worse since it was anticipated he would get over $40M. ...

...Patsfans should just be eternally grateful we have a guy who is fully deserving of that level of compensation...

Giants, Eli striking a long-term deal | ProFootballTalk.com

I think your read is pretty accurate. This is probably the bogey that the Pats were waiting for before getting ready to negotiate a deal with Brady before he enters his final contract year. $40 guaranteed with the funny money taking the whole package up to $100 is probably what they will need to get it done with a QB with four SB's, three rings and a career Pass Rating of 92.6 (vs. Eli's one SB, one Ring and 76.1).

The Krafts aren't sentimental when it comes to spending their money and don't hand out "thanks for the memories" contracts, so they will wait to see that "the real Tom Brady" has returned from his surgery. Once that is known, I see them getting a deal done before this season is over.

$107.5 doesn't appear anywhere in that article unless they updated it since you first saw it. Says the same thing Glazer says, $106.9 including this season and $35M guaranteed. And as they stated, everyone expected a deal over $100M and this one was projected as high as $120M and a $20M AAV so this is not bad news for the Pats. Brady will come in a little under on AAV at first blush but will likely get more guaranteed or more in the first 3.

$107 was right in the headline and $107.5 was in the body of the text when I first read the piece and when I just checked it now. Maybe you looked at something else or maybe they changed it from $107.5 to $106.9. In either case, sounds like a rounding error to me.

Last edited:

Any way to keep this news from Brady? Yikes! If Manning can get $15.3 million a year, what will Brady command? Hopefully (and I expect), Brady will approach his next contract negotiations the same way he did the last - he wants to get good money, but his legacy is more important than milking the Pats for every penny.

Now I hope next year is an uncapped year so the Pats can afford to pay him without ruining their future cap.

Source: Eli Manning, New York Giants agree to six-year, $97.5 million contract extension - ESPN

(See Mo's comment. The threads should be merged.)

The money is actually $106.9 (initially reported as $107.5), but the important number is the guaranteed $35. It doesn't seem to be in TB's profile to "milk" the Pats "for every penny," but they will have to make him one of the top three or so most highly paid QB's. The consensus out here seems to be that $40 guaranteed is the number and I don't have any reason to dispute that.

Last edited:

Well the Chiefs fans who were *****ing about Cassel's deal should take some comfort in knowing that they got a bargain, given that this mediocrity just broke the bank.

On the other hand, the person who was pimping the way the Giants are building their team might want to re-think that assertion.

I guess Huckleberry Hound can buy himself a lifetime supply of Milk Bones now.

$107 was right in the headline and $107.5 was in the body of the text when I first read the piece and when I just checked it now. Maybe you looked at something else.

They rounded up for the headline. Not to beat a dead horse but the text says:

The Giants quarterback and former Super Bowl MVP has agreed to a new seven-year, $106.9 million contract that he is expected to sign later Wednesday, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. Though it's not the largest deal in NFL history, the average of $15.27 million per year is a new NFL high.

I don't think the Krafts are waiting for any proof that Brady is Brady. They are waiting for the timing to be right. This domino had to fall first. Then there is the issue of the CBA.

People have to realize the NEP are prepared to pay their QB 10-12% of cap. That is were they max slot that position. TODAY that would work out to almost $13M to approaching $15M AAV. The cap (or revenue if there is none) will rise over the next several years - maybe not as much as it did recently, or maybe even more. But it will rise. A $15M AAV for a QB is not a problem...as long as the QB in question is worth it. In Eli's case that is certainly debatable, but the Giants have to believe he is because if not they don't have the franchise QB position locked down... Ditto Pittsburgh.

They rounded up for the headline. Not to beat a dead horse but the text says:

I don't think the Krafts are waiting for any proof that Brady is Brady. They are waiting for the timing to be right. This domino had to fall first. Then there is the issue of the CBA.

People have to realize the NEP are prepared to pay their QB 10-12% of cap. That is were they max slot that position. TODAY that would work out to almost $13M to approaching $15M AAV. The cap (or revenue if there is none) will rise over the next several years - maybe not as much as it did recently, or maybe even more. But it will rise. A $15M AAV for a QB is not a problem...as long as the QB in question is worth it. In Eli's case that is certainly debatable, but the Giants have to believe he is because if not they don't have the franchise QB position locked down... Ditto Pittsburgh.

Mystery solved (and horse beaten beyond death and into the farthest reaches of the netherworld!). The difference between $97.5 and $106.9 (rounded in the initial report to $107) is the $9.4 that Eli is due for 2009. The $107.5 was probably a typo in the original Daily News report (probably added $10 instead of $9.4 to $97.5).

Sorry, got the originator of that thread blocked so I must have missed it. I have no problem with this thread being merged into that one.

LOL Entirely understandable...not to mention justifiable.

$97 million for what? The guy is a mediocre QB, IMHO. :eek:

I think he is better than mediocre. Average to above average is more like it. He is getting paid for his Super Bowl though. I think with their receiving corp, he could be mediocre this year. They don't have a receiver on their roster who had more than 600 yards last year and Manning's numbers last year were pretty average too.

Re: OT Eli Manning Becomes Highest Paid NFL Player (merged)

The sad reality in today's NFL is if you find a QB you can win with you hang on for dear life. Because the alternative costs you more than $$$ - FO careers are at stake. Just ask Brian Billick, and all he had to do was play nice with Dilfer... Guys who won't kill you are almost as valuable as the handful who may make you. We're just spoiled here because we all realize as Kraft does (and BB too) that we have the best of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes