PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: (edit) COPA Finals - Argentina vs Chile !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
03033.png

I know there's some issues going on between the players and the Argentinian FA..but i hope thats just a spur of the moment decision and Messi rethinks it.

With that, I could only imagine if Ronaldo were to make a decision like that after a crucial pk miss, hed be getting crucified right now for it.

Another thing..whens it time we start carving Arturo Vidal name alongside Messi and Ronaldo as the worlds best? The most versatile MF player in the world. Hes pure class!

It's a pure power-play move by Messi and other players (maybe aside from Mascherano) to put some well deserved pressure on the FA. I think We still see Messi in the next World Cup.

It's a pure power-play move by Messi and other players (maybe aside from Mascherano) to put some well deserved pressure on the FA. I think We still see Messi in the next World Cup.
And we will see Argentina bow out early in the competition, as is their usual history when the tournament is not in the Americas....

Messi taking penalty kicks is like John Lester throwing over to first.

OT…….The business side of these tournaments that feature national teams fascinates me to no end and I am most interested in the psychology of the players, especially the superstars. I don't doubt most participants embrace the opportunity, love the exposure, and ignore the noise (aka.. the greedy behavior of their national federations) …in other words, most can separate the "business" of futball from playing futball….likely because the "business" end for many is not that significant. Then there's generational players like Messi whose performances enhance the "business" of futball for himself, his team, his federation, and for world tournaments like the Copa America.

So let's look at the money involved in the Copa.

Money for Federations:
-Estimated ticket revenue: $200 million plus …..retained by US Soccer to fund stadium costs keeping any profits.
-Broadcast rights $112.5 million

Money for teams
-$250K for each team in tournament ($4 million combined)
-$26 million in prize money ($6.5 million for winning team, $3.5 million for runner up, etc). What portion is divided by players…???

So….$112.5 million to the Federations….$30 million to the participating teams……..and another $30 million in BRIBES paid to Federation Presidents and officials. Read the article linked below regarding the corruption involved in this tournament.

Football corruption: Who bought the Copa America? - BBC News

Which brings me to Messi and the more general topic of how important these month long tournaments are to certain players like Messi…a player all too consumed/embroiled/intertwined in the business of futball and at the same time being judged/compared by his countrymen/past legends/the world.
Put yourself in Messi's boots…….he represents a country that is obsessed with him yet tears down his accomplishments because the national team comes up small. He plays for a federation whose leader has pocketed $10+ million in bribes for simply voting "yes" while Messi carries the massive burden of high expectations by his country, his legacy……all while fighting lawyers and prosecutors in tax court back in Spain….and his compensation for being the "talisman" for this tournament…maybe $150K in prize money. Messi has to be asking himself every day this past month……I can't believe I'm out here enriching these fat cats of the corrupt FIFA and no matter the results, it will never be good enough for my countrymen that worship Maradona.
I'm not making excuses for him and his PK debacles….all I'm pointing out is that emphasis on these tournaments is so overblown…tournaments created to maximize revenue for FIFA…and I have to believe that deep in the back of players' minds (certain players), there has to be a level of cynicism that controls the effort. USA Basketball comes to mind. Some participants treat it as a necessary evil….and this year, many have put their foot down.
Anyway…I'll be remembering Messi's ridiculous free kick from 30 yards out during game time and ignoring the ridiculousness that has a major championship decided by free kicks. Maybe the NBA should should resort to a free throw competition after 48 minutes.

Congrats to chile. In the back of my mind i knew they had tbe advantage in the penalties. When will Argentina win a final? They have been chokers. I couldn't believe some of the shanks by argentina in this game.

Hard to argue Argentina didn't choke, too many chances no wins. Big miss by Messi, he will have to come back and come up big for it not to affect his legacy. I'm a big Messi fan but he will have to win big for the national team for anything to change. Tough loss for Argentina but Chile deserves the win.

Chile deserves the win.
Such a statement shows how clearly futbol is an aggravating, defective game. No other sport has the concept of deserve so built into its psyche, clearly because the game itself is so often incapable of producing a result that corresponds to the play during the game. In that light, futbol makes more sense if you look at is as being a demonstration rather than a competition.

This Copa America had better football than Euro Cup in my oppinion.

Euro is just finishing the 8th finals tonite. Comparing games against the bottom 20 qualifying teams in europe to the top 4-8 teams in americas is a bit inconsistent/a noncomparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back