PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Early nominees for '08 surprise teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Giants won't make the playoffs in 2008 (IMO obviously).

I disagree with that, and I'm basing it on the playoffs finally waking up Eli Manning. The Giants are also a relatively young team across the board and the only two guys they lost, Kawika Mitchell and Gibril Wilson are replacable.

I kind of like the Eagles but the division is very tough. The Saints should bounce back. Minnesota is very good if they get competent QB play, though admittedly that might be a stretch. They should just trade for Chad Pennington and be done with it.

Last edited:
-SD: Norve has another year to F up Marty's team. Plus, injuries at key positions, including TE with Gates. just a gut feeling, but we'll know more when we get to see the Qb hobble around a little. '06 was their year.

-Indy: I say this every year, and every year I seem to be wrong. But the Marvin situation, plus some losses on the OL and IMO the questionable performance of T. Ugoh at LT leave the O a but vulnerable for a change. Freeney is coming off of Lis Franc surgery and if he loses even a half step, he's just an average player. Lack of pass rush exposes the rest of the D, where the talent is not as good as advertised (see SD playoff game).

Despite the talent they have, I can honestly see SD having an off year long before Indy. I will never count on Indy falling off. I've said the last couple years I thought they'd decline, and they still remain a factor - and will as long as Manning is QB. San Diego on the other hand may be the only team in the league that stacks up with us on paper, but like you, I wouldn't be surprised to see some self-destruction.

The Giants defense could take a huge step backward if Strahan retires and their offense isn't particularly overwhelming. Depending on Strahan's plans they could end the season 8-8 or 9-7, but in the NFC that's enough to get in. And then anything can happen.

As a pure "Surprise Pick," my money is on the Falcons. When Dimitroff was hired many people weren't sure if he was going to try to implement a defensive philosophy similar to the one in New England, but unlike Mangini's tour into New York, Dimitroff saw that there are some legit 4-3 talents on the roster and instead of selling that talent away for fifty cents on the dollar, he's hired a head coach with extensive experience in the 4-3. In fact, all of the candidates they interviewed were defensive-oriented and experienced in the 4-3. That's a smart thing for a GM to do, especially considering the dire condition of the franchise, the low public support, and the stink in the air that still remains from the Vick fiasco. It could mean quicker success for a team that looked like it was a long rebuild away from being competitive.

On offense, Roddy White broke out last season with 83 receptions and 1200 yards, they signed Michael Turner (who should combine with Jerious Norwood for a good RB duo), and helped the offensive line with Sam Baker. Not to mention Ryan. They have a lot more talent on offense this year than they did last season.

They won't make the playoffs, but I could see six to seven wins - which would surprise some of the people who already have them pegged as the worst team in the league (almost the consensus #32 team in pre-season power rankings).

The Giants will just plug in Tuck in at Strahan's spot along with Kiwanuka back in a DL role full time and Umenyora on the other side.

I doubt that's a big loss (Strahan) but it would hurt their depth at the position.

I don't think the Giants will do a back to back, that's for sure. I'm not convinced they're all that dominant of a team yet, and I don't know why some people seem to think they are.This decade's had a few one and dones, and nothing's convinced me so far that the Giants aren't one of those too.
Eli's still an enigma- which Eli will show up this season? If he can maintain whatever he had going for him towards the end of last season then anything's possible, but if he doesn't then they're in trouble.
It's so difficult to repeat in today's NFL...I'm not sure the Giants have what it takes to do be able to do that.

The Giants will just plug in Tuck in at Strahan's spot along with Kiwanuka back in a DL role full time and Umenyora on the other side.

I doubt that's a big loss (Strahan) but it would hurt their depth at the position.

They lose a Hall of Famer at DE and a pass rushing force in the middle of the defensive line if they have to put Tuck outside. His rush up the middle was probably the most important thing about the Super Bowl. They don't have a lot of room for error in the back end of the defense, so a weaker defensive line means a far weaker defense.

Eli had a great miracle drive, but he's still mediocre and I don't believe he's the type of QB who can carry a team with an average defense.

Last edited:
Eli had a great miracle drive, but he's still mediocre and I don't believe he's the type of QB who can carry a team with an average defense.

Exactly-for a long time even Peyton couldn't carry his team to the SB because their defense was average to mediocre at that time. Eli would have to be almost perfect to get that done, and he's not. At least not yet- Eli's progress this year will be interesting to follow.

The Colts are and will continue to be an elite team; they were a chip shot missed field goal and a defense play away from 16-0 last year.

The Chargers IMO turned the corner with the Indy win; incredible that they won that game at Indy, still to this day can't believe they won, they deserve a ton of credit for winning that game. With all of their injuries, they hung in there vs the Patriots in the AFCCG.

As far as dismissing the Giants, four teams did that in the playoffs last year too, how'd that work out for them. The Patriots treated them like a speed bump to perfection and got a rude awakening. I see the Giants being very competative in the NFC this year and the Patriots taking a few steps back, too many holes on a defense that was not that great last year to begin with. That secondary scares me..........

The Colts are and will continue to be an elite team; they were a chip shot missed field goal and a defense play away from 16-0 last year.

The Chargers IMO turned the corner with the Indy win; incredible that they won that game at Indy, still to this day can't believe they won, they deserve a ton of credit for winning that game. With all of their injuries, they hung in there vs the Patriots in the AFCCG.

As far as dismissing the Giants, four teams did that in the playoffs last year too, how'd that work out for them. The Patriots treated them like a speed bump to perfection and got a rude awakening. I see the Giants being very competative in the NFC this year and the Patriots taking a few steps back, too many holes on a defense that was not that great last year to begin with. That secondary scares me..........

The secondary of the Patriots is still superior to that of the Giants. But it is more likely that a 16-0 team will take a step back than a 10-6 one, eh?

The Giants played terribly against the Packers and were a miracle catch away from being "well, at least they made it a game." They made it a game because of Tuck, Umenyiora, and Strahan. Without one of those three they will be severely weakened and simply don't have the rest of the talent on defense to make up for a quarterback prone to terrible play on an inconsistent offense.

Why Seattle? It seems like their offense is just one big question mark. Julius Jones and TJ Ducket aren't proven, Deion Branch hasn't been the gamechanger they thought, and Bobby Engram is 35 and holding out. Plus DJ Hackett is gone. I just don't see it for Seattle.

According to most of the Seahawk fans out here, Courtney Taylor is a real stud and was the steal of the 07 draft! :rofl: I think they have a lot of question marks as well. I don't like their running game, I think their O-Line is on the decline, I don't think their secondary is as good as they think, and the WR core is in trouble. On the plus side though do have a solid group of linebackers, Hasselbeck is a solid QB, and they do have the playoff experience in their favor if they can get back there. I do think St. Louis has enough talent to give them a challenge if they can stay healthy. Bulger being out, and the lack of OL depth really hurt them last year.

I like Cleveland to win the AFCN and I also think the Raiders can be much improved this year. They are LOADED at running back. I would love to have Michael Bush as a backup.

The Good

-The Bills: good young talent, good coach

-The Raiders: yeah it's a mess, but they have alot of talent in a weak division. I liked what I saw from J Russell in final start and his weight is "down" to 270. Secondary is superb. LB is excellent. O-line is decent. WR corps not terrible if Walker can run. McFadden Fargas a good 1/2 punch.

- NO: not really a surprise but I expect a bounce back season with a revitalized back 7 on D. Also Meachem could impact, plus they have that kid rb Pierre THomas, I think his name is. Looks like a better player than Bush at this point.

-Arizona: I think this is the first time I've ridden the Arizona bandwagon despite the hooplah in recent years. They are an AFC style team in the NFC.

The Bad

-Cowboys: Dysfunctional team takes on JJones' image.

-SD: Norve has another year to F up Marty's team. Plus, injuries at key positions, including TE with Gates. just a gut feeling, but we'll know more when we get to see the Qb hobble around a little. '06 was their year.

-Indy: I say this every year, and every year I seem to be wrong. But the Marvin situation, plus some losses on the OL and IMO the questionable performance of T. Ugoh at LT leave the O a but vulnerable for a change. Freeney is coming off of Lis Franc surgery and if he loses even a half step, he's just an average player. Lack of pass rush exposes the rest of the D, where the talent is not as good as advertised (see SD playoff game).

Elite teams:

AFC: NE, Jax
NFC: Seahawks, Philly, NYG

SB: NE/Sea

LOL - I'd say that just about sums up all your picks.

Seriously dude, picking the Chargers, Colts and Cowboys to be the worst teams next year is nothing short of a pipe dream of yours. How about taking the homer glasses off and giving it another try??

I'll take the Detroit Lions in the NFC, rationale is less Martz more Martinelli, and in the AFC put me down for the Bengals, C.J keeps on whining maybe even gets traded and the Bengals pull a Tiki Barber one less diva room for one more football player.

Good:

Kansas City -- Might take a couple of years, but they had a fantastic draft, play in a weak division, and might challenge for 9-10 wins...

St. Louis -- A disastrous 2007 campaign, but if this team can stay healthy, they still have talent offensively, and are young and solid on defense. I like the Rams to win the NFC East...

Bad:

Pittsburgh -- Maybe not a "surprise", per se, but they have one of the most difficult schedules I have ever seen (of course we have no idea what games in May will still be tough in September....). This schedule reminds me of the 2005 Pats' murderer's row to begin that season...

New York Giants -- Super Bowl hangover + difficult schedule = mediocre season... might sneak in at 9-7 (which, as they proved last year, you just need to get in), but I don't see them replicating last year's success

Last edited:
"The secondary of the Patriots is still superior to that of the Giants". You mean the secondary that couldn't make a big play in the final Giants drive and is now minus the best part, Samuel? Get real.

"But it is more likely that a 16-0 team will take a step back than a 10-6 one, eh?" They were a 16-0 team that stumbled and bumbled their way down the stretch, should have lost at least two games in that time frame and had their hands full with a depleted Chargers team. How would the Patriots have faired in San Diego with Brady playing on one leg, Maroney out and Moss playing on one leg as well, you tell me because that is what the Chargers did and they played the Patriots tough.

"The Giants played terribly against the Packers" But they made the plays they had to make on the road in sub zero temperatures and won the game, that's all that matters.

"and were a miracle catch away from being "well, at least they made it a game." But the guy made the catch, see above.

"Theymade it a game because of Tuck, Umenyiora, and Strahan. Without one of those three they will be severely weakened and simply don't have the rest of the talent on defense to make up for a quarterback prone to terrible play on an inconsistent offense." I guess you could say they be like the 2000 Patriots, ie, win a Super Bowl they had no business winning and go on to dominate for several years, or be like Tampa, Baltimore and the Rams; one and one................

The Colts and Chargers in the same notion as "bad"? Sounds like blind homerism.

I do agree with you about the Raiders though. I don't know what you were talking about with Russell since he threw a lot of picks in the Jax game, but I think he can improve with another year under his belt and McFadden should come in and make an immediate impact.

"The secondary of the Patriots is still superior to that of the Giants". You mean the secondary that couldn't make a big play in the final Giants drive and is now minus the best part, Samuel? Get real.

"But it is more likely that a 16-0 team will take a step back than a 10-6 one, eh?" They were a 16-0 team that stumbled and bumbled their way down the stretch, should have lost at least two games in that time frame and had their hands full with a depleted Chargers team. How would the Patriots have faired in San Diego with Brady playing on one leg, Maroney out and Moss playing on one leg as well, you tell me because that is what the Chargers did and they played the Patriots tough.

"The Giants played terribly against the Packers" But they made the plays they had to make on the road in sub zero temperatures and won the game, that's all that matters.

"and were a miracle catch away from being "well, at least they made it a game." But the guy made the catch, see above.

"Theymade it a game because of Tuck, Umenyiora, and Strahan. Without one of those three they will be severely weakened and simply don't have the rest of the talent on defense to make up for a quarterback prone to terrible play on an inconsistent offense." I guess you could say they be like the 2000 Patriots, ie, win a Super Bowl they had no business winning and go on to dominate for several years, or be like Tampa, Baltimore and the Rams; one and one................

Ross has talent but is untested, they have Sammy Knight penciled in as a starter, Kenny Philips will have to beat Butler to start at FS, and Sam Madison is not the Sam Madison of three years ago. They don't have a good secondary. I'll take Hobbs, Rodney (or Sanders) and Meriweather over their counterparts on the Giants.

"They were a 16-0 team that stumbled and bumbled their way down the stretch, should have lost at least two games in that time frame," but they actually did win them! The Giants should have lost to either the Cowboys, Packers or Patriots - but they didn't. They played ugly in some of those games, but they won. When the Patriots played ugly in the final weeks of the season and won they "stumbled" and it's a precursor to a fall off in 2008. Hypocrisy, thy name is Double G.

Beyond Brady playing on a bad leg (not as bad as Rivers's, of course, but he wasn't healthy either) the Patriots had the ball for the final nine minutes of a game they won 21-12. What defensive stars for the Chargers were out, and were they going to get the ball back for their offense with under nine minutes to go if they were playing?

(And see my post above on just how ridiculous it is that you are pointing to a game the Patriots won handily as a reason they are going to fall off, but the Giants "making the plays they needed to make" and beating the Packers by three points in overtime of a game that Brett Favre absolutely did not want to win does not signify anything in their quest to repeat in '08.)

I am saying they are going to be like the 2001 Patriots, in that they made a great run to the Super Bowl and will fall off the next year because of a weakened defense and an offense that can't pick up the slack. It doesn't matter what they do after that, we (or at least myself) are talking about the following year, not decade.

And I'd certainly argue that the '01 Patriots, who were 11-5 and the second seed in the conference, were a stronger team than the Giants of '07.

I think the Panthers will win their (weak) division. With a healthy Delhomme and a potential stud RB in Stewart, they could easily go 11-5.

In the AFC, I actually like the Raiders to contend for a wild card. As someone else stated, Russell looked decent end of the season and they've managed to improve an already excellent ground game with McFadden. Combine with a solid not spectacular D, they could be looking at 10-6 in an average AFC West.

I think the Panthers will win their (weak) division. With a healthy Delhomme and a potential stud RB in Stewart, they could easily go 11-5.

In the AFC, I actually like the Raiders to contend for a wild card. As someone else stated, Russell looked decent end of the season and they've managed to improve an already excellent ground game with McFadden. Combine with a solid not spectacular D, they could be looking at 10-6 in an average AFC West.

Can't agree here. I would have called the Raiders ground game "excellent" in '07.

Can't agree here. I would have called the Raiders ground game "excellent" in '07.

They had the #6 rushing offense in the NFL and managed to make Fargas a 1,000 yard back. I suppose it can depend on how you define "excellent," but the fact remains they ran for more yards than 26 other NFL teams. That's well above-average.

In the AFC, The Houston Texans with a healthy Matt Schaub could win 10 games

In the NFC, I of course am going with what appears to be the 'Sexy' pick every year and thats the Arizona Cardinals - The offseason transactions and the draft may finally get them to win 10 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes