OT: Early nominees for '08 surprise teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Good

-The Bills: good young talent, good coach

-The Raiders: yeah it's a mess, but they have alot of talent in a weak division. I liked what I saw from J Russell in final start and his weight is "down" to 270. Secondary is superb. LB is excellent. O-line is decent. WR corps not terrible if Walker can run. McFadden Fargas a good 1/2 punch.

- NO: not really a surprise but I expect a bounce back season with a revitalized back 7 on D. Also Meachem could impact, plus they have that kid rb Pierre THomas, I think his name is. Looks like a better player than Bush at this point.

-Arizona: I think this is the first time I've ridden the Arizona bandwagon despite the hooplah in recent years. They are an AFC style team in the NFC.

The Bad

-Cowboys: Dysfunctional team takes on JJones' image.

-SD: Norve has another year to F up Marty's team. Plus, injuries at key positions, including TE with Gates. just a gut feeling, but we'll know more when we get to see the Qb hobble around a little. '06 was their year.

-Indy: I say this every year, and every year I seem to be wrong. But the Marvin situation, plus some losses on the OL and IMO the questionable performance of T. Ugoh at LT leave the O a but vulnerable for a change. Freeney is coming off of Lis Franc surgery and if he loses even a half step, he's just an average player. Lack of pass rush exposes the rest of the D, where the talent is not as good as advertised (see SD playoff game).

Elite teams:

AFC: NE, Jax
NFC: Seahawks, Philly, NYG

SB: NE/Sea

Last edited:
I love what the Bills are doing.

Well, since I've been saying Arizona evey year I'll go with them again. Law of averages says I'll get it right one of these times.

Other shocking predictions include the Dolphins improving from last season and the Patriots not matching last season's regular season record.

I think the Jets will be in the mix for a playoff spot. Several significant additions and an easy non-division schedule. They may have overpaid for some of them but the talent upgrade is obvious and at positions of dire weakness.

Last edited:
Based on teams that finished with 7 or fewer loses last year my top 2 picks would be Cincinnati and NO

Edit: I meant to say 7 or fewer wins.

Last edited:
Based on teams that finished with 7 or fewer loses last year my top 2 picks would be Cincinnati and NO

I was tempted to take Cinci, but in the end Lewis is just not a very good coach, and they play AFC South and the NFC East non-conference.

Other shocking predictions include the Dolphins improving from last season and the Patriots not matching last season's regular season record.

Just a hunch but I would have to agree with you.

My surprise team of 2008 is the 49ers. Strangely I feel OK with them winning some games.

The biggest flop: The Chargers. Injuries are going to kill them. Just a hunch. A mid 2nd rounder will be a nice take also so yeah, it's a homer pick.

Seattle isn't even close to an elite team. They have serious running back issues, along with a poor WR corps. Their defense is okay, but nothing that's going to carry them. They greatly benefit from the NFC West.

My surprise team isn't a real surprise, the Vikings. With Allen they're pretty much a lock to have a top 3 defense, and their offense can be scary if Jackson to step up enough to just not lose games. I see no way this team doesn't make it to the playoffs.

Raiders.

I as well see a Pats/Seahawks Super Bowl actually.

Elite teams:

I liked what Jax did in the draft, but I'm still not sold on their receiving corp. So, it's still NE and the Horseshoe.

In the NFC, I think the Gints are going to tank it a bit and will struggle. They'll squeak into a wildcard berth. I also have questions concerning the Seahawks and the Iggles. So much depends on the severity of his elbow, but at this point and if Delhomme is reasonably healthy, I'd throw the Panthers into the mix.

SB: NE wins 4th Lombardi is all I really care about.

The Giants won't make the playoffs in 2008 (IMO obviously).

I agree that the Panthers have a very good chance to make it depending on Delhomme.

The Good

-The Bills: good young talent, good coach

-The Raiders: yeah it's a mess, but they have alot of talent in a weak division. I liked what I saw from J Russell in final start and his weight is "down" to 270. Secondary is superb. LB is excellent. O-line is decent. WR corps not terrible if Walker can run. McFadden Fargas a good 1/2 punch.

- NO: not really a surprise but I expect a bounce back season with a revitalized back 7 on D. Also Meachem could impact, plus they have that kid rb Pierre THomas, I think his name is. Looks like a better player than Bush at this point.

-Arizona: I think this is the first time I've ridden the Arizona bandwagon despite the hooplah in recent years. They are an AFC style team in the NFC.

The Bad

-Cowboys: Dysfunctional team takes on JJones' image.

-SD: Norve has another year to F up Marty's team. Plus, injuries at key positions, including TE with Gates. just a gut feeling, but we'll know more when we get to see the Qb hobble around a little. '06 was their year.

-Indy: I say this every year, and every year I seem to be wrong. But the Marvin situation, plus some losses on the OL and IMO the questionable performance of T. Ugoh at LT leave the O a but vulnerable for a change. Freeney is coming off of Lis Franc surgery and if he loses even a half step, he's just an average player. Lack of pass rush exposes the rest of the D, where the talent is not as good as advertised (see SD playoff game).

Elite teams:

typical pats fan, picks the 3 teams who were NE's biggest rival's last year, to be the 'bad'

AFC: Houston, yes they are in a tough division but they stepped up last year and can win some shootouts.

NFC: St. Louis, they have some nice young pieces on defense. They still have several weapons on offense. They play in a division that can be had if Seattle falters even slightly.

Why Seattle? It seems like their offense is just one big question mark. Julius Jones and TJ Ducket aren't proven, Deion Branch hasn't been the gamechanger they thought, and Bobby Engram is 35 and holding out. Plus DJ Hackett is gone. I just don't see it for Seattle.

About Indy, did I miss the news about Peyton Manning?:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, maybe I'm wrong, maybe they'll just be mediocre despite Manning.

Well, since I've been saying Arizona evey year I'll go with them again. Law of averages says I'll get it right one of these times.

I predict that with Parcells they'll double, nay, triple their wins.:D

typical pats fan, picks the 3 teams who were NE's biggest rival's last year, to be the 'bad'

Typical Chargers fan, overrates his team and thinks everyone else should too. The Pats biggest rivals last year were the Colts, the Chargers, Pitt, and Jax. Of those 4, two of them I expect to have good seasons, and two worse than expected.

Last edited:
My surprise team is the Browns. Not to say they'll get to the AFCG (it's not impossible either tho)but I think they'll make an even better showing than they did last year. They've got a solid QB, they've upgraded a lot and IIRC they had a great draft.
RAC was the first coach to figure out how to contain Moss last season too.
They came awfully close last season; they blew it obviously but also, had the Colts not tanked the Titans' game, the Browns would have been in.
RAC just never had enough talent to bring his Browns to the dance, but that seems to be changing. Without any horrific injuries I think he can get his team into the mix, plus I love RAC and Big Willie Mac, so I'm in a comfort zone too:D
Seriously tho, emotion aside, I'm going with RAC and his Browns for my surprise pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes