PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Earl Campbell on the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish there wasn't a need to do so ......However, when old mumbling Earl starts talking out of his rectum instead of his mouth..........what a despicable, and pathetic A-HOLE!!!! Tarnishing his image further....sad...sad....sad..

And this board sinks even further.....

When threads get as long as this one, each post is somewhat devalued and is less likely to be read. I am not necessarily posting this for anyone to read, but have to write this out of personal integrity.

I saw both Payton and Campbell play in their primes. I never saw a greater running back than Earl Campbell. He was the best I've ever seen.

Amen. He paid a heavy price for that praise.

Some Earl clips from the vault:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TGUYLbsf514

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tdvVaTbwMrE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vm1hK_4ky1o

Last edited:
Another hasbeen loser looking for 15 seconds of tv time. Nobody remembers him - now he can put his sunglasses and goback to pimping to make a living
Earl Campbell is to running backs what Tom Brady is to QBs, one of the best to ever play the game. He is damaged beyond repair from giving his all to the game. Shame on you for your thoughtless comments.

SDMan

Last edited:
Ummm...so? Being a great player doesn't mean you're above criticism or outright ridicule.
But his diminished capacity does. His reputation does. Feel better about yourself for belittling and calling him names? Huh, big man? Pathetic. He is more of a man, even in his present state, than you could ever dream of being.

SDMan

==================================
I have never met him, but I care about him.

So just don"t say nobody cares.

I do not agree with him 100% on his oppinions though.
Thank you. I don't agree with him either but that doesn't mean I'm going piss all over him. He is obviously suffering from something causing diminished capacity. Can't believe they even talked to him.

pao

I think this can go two ways though. If he wanted to be on just to do this, then it's a shame. If they sought him out for just this, shame on them.

It does bring some minimal attention to how badly these players are treated though. To see these men is horrifying. Payton was one thing, he was sick. This man and so many others are like this because they played in the very NFL that has turned it's back on them--disgusting to say the least.
Incredible, we agree on something!

SDMan

No doubt.

I've lost ANY respect for ESPN. Do people really think an old Oiler (I say that because it's not even as if Campbell would have any reason to have something against the Pats) would go out of his way to appear on TV and say this? I remember listening to it thinking, is this fuggin guy outta his mind? I had no idea that he had to take so much medication, but then against I'm not surprised. I'm only 17, but watching old highlights that guy hit you like a tank, and eventually that can't last.

Point I'm trying to make is, being on a bunch of freaking pain pills is like you or I going on TV drunk expecting to say something intelligent. To criticize a guy who is on a high due to another doctor shoving pills down his throat, it's pretty low. I think a lot of you need to do some research before opening your mouth. Pills take you wayyyy out there, and it was obvious Campbell was anything but sober. You people are surprised he mumbles? Obviously some of you never stepped foot around a pill popper. Not calling Campbell that, just sayin'.
I was impressed with your post until I saw you are 17. Now I am amazed! You are wise beyond your years.

SDMan

Way off topic....but you are very well spoken and have great sense of perspective for someone who is 17. Kudos to you.
Hmm, sounded right on the point to me.

SDMan

Last edited:
Another hasbeen loser looking for 15 seconds of tv time. Nobody remembers him - now he can put his sunglasses and goback to pimping to make a living

Earl Campbell's back is killing him — so badly, in fact, that the man hasn't slept in a bed for almost seven years. He spends a fair amount of time in a wheelchair, and he can't get around on his feet without using a walker. Man, what he'd give to be able to hop into his van and drive, to sail alone on the open road, no music on the radio, no sound in his ears but the hum of tires on highway.

But he can't. Not right now. Earl Campbell's 52-year-old body hurts him so much that he relies on a driver — his longtime friend James "Sugar Bear" Yates — to take him to work, or to fetch a can of Sprite at the 7-Eleven, or run him up to visit his brothers and sisters in Tyler. The most indomitable running back in the history of Texas football — as a collegian and a professional — has come to know what it is to be vulnerable.

Campbell's biggest problem, as he describes it, stems from the discovery of three large bone spurs on his spinal column several years ago. Doctors wanted to remove them, explaining they were covering nerves in his back, causing atrophy in his muscles. No way, not yet, said Campbell, a man who feared no defender but cringes at the mention of an MRI machine. He decided to tough his way through it.

"Well, Earl, you'll be back in about a year," the doctor told him.

When Campbell finally did have the surgery to remove the spurs, he says, doctors told him afterward that he'd never walk the same, that he'd never be the same. His reaction: "I'm going to prove you wrong."

So at the end of his rehabilitation program this summer, Campbell started lifting weights at UT — something he'd never done as a player — hoping to power his body up, to heal his back through strength and will.

The doctors implored Campbell to stop, told him he was hurting himself in the weight room. "So now Earl just rests his back," says Campbell, his voice a little weary, clearly resigned.

He says he's been told, with rest, that his back will improve — but it might take a year, or a year and a half.

"I live a funky life now," says Campbell, glancing down at a bag of pistachio nuts that rests by his left hand. He dreams aloud about working side-by-side with the hands at the family ranch in Tyler, as he used to.

"Sometimes, I wish I would have never let that guy operate on me. Sometimes, I wish I had just continued to take pain medicine. I didn't know that a back was so important."

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/12/09/1209campbell.html

Earl Campbell's back is killing him — so badly, in fact, that the man hasn't slept in a bed for almost seven years. He spends a fair amount of time in a wheelchair, and he can't get around on his feet without using a walker. Man, what he'd give to be able to hop into his van and drive, to sail alone on the open road, no music on the radio, no sound in his ears but the hum of tires on highway.

But he can't. Not right now. Earl Campbell's 52-year-old body hurts him so much that he relies on a driver — his longtime friend James "Sugar Bear" Yates — to take him to work, or to fetch a can of Sprite at the 7-Eleven, or run him up to visit his brothers and sisters in Tyler. The most indomitable running back in the history of Texas football — as a collegian and a professional — has come to know what it is to be vulnerable.

Campbell's biggest problem, as he describes it, stems from the discovery of three large bone spurs on his spinal column several years ago. Doctors wanted to remove them, explaining they were covering nerves in his back, causing atrophy in his muscles. No way, not yet, said Campbell, a man who feared no defender but cringes at the mention of an MRI machine. He decided to tough his way through it.

When Campbell finally did have the surgery to remove the spurs, he says, doctors told him afterward that he'd never walk the same, that he'd never be the same. His reaction: "I'm going to prove you wrong."

So at the end of his rehabilitation program this summer, Campbell started lifting weights at UT — something he'd never done as a player — hoping to power his body up, to heal his back through strength and will.

The doctors implored Campbell to stop, told him he was hurting himself in the weight room. "So now Earl just rests his back," says Campbell, his voice a little weary, clearly resigned.

He says he's been told, with rest, that his back will improve — but it might take a year, or a year and a half.

"I live a funky life now," says Campbell, glancing down at a bag of pistachio nuts that rests by his left hand. He dreams aloud about working side-by-side with the hands at the family ranch in Tyler, as he used to.

"Sometimes, I wish I would have never let that guy operate on me. Sometimes, I wish I had just continued to take pain medicine. I didn't know that a back was so important."

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/12/09/1209campbell.html

Nice post Ray Clay, well done.

If my fellow Pats fans want to feign some outrage, then direct it at ESPN for being so loathsome as to put this poor old man in such a position; taking advantage of his failing health to add some "juice" to a non-story at the expense of his legendary status in the game. This is truly a low point for ESPN, in my eyes.

Shame.

Yep.

Congrats ESPN.

Wow...I dont know what to say I'm heartbroken....That Earl Campbell is ******ed. We all got problems pal, cry me a damn river.

Wow...I dont know what to say I'm heartbroken....That Earl Campbell is ******ed. We all got problems pal, cry me a damn river.

Why dont you just do us a favor and get beat in an alley with a baseball bat? I don't understand people like you who talk so much **** about stuff they don't know.

Why are people so quick to say that the Patriots titles are all tainted, despite the Panthers having a number of players on steroids that year? Do people hate the Patriots so much that they don't care? OR maybe they just do not remember the losing team that cheats. This is amazing, how many people are jelous of the patriots

May the good lord bless you with chronic unrelenting pain, my son.

Last edited:
Shaun King and Mike Golic didn't even think the comments by EC earned remark. I agree in so far as I will note that I'm sure some people of better health share the same thoughts. EC was a great player that has become the poster child for hurting veteran players. I wish him the best in health, but think he should save those comments to himself.

Earl campbell is a cripple with severe chronic pain, from what i understand. You wonder how low some of these faux "sports" (gossip) sites can sink and they still surprise you.

He probably needs the money for some machine to keep him barely functioning. because the NFL says his disability isn't related to football.

Go to a chronic pain unit of a hospital sometime and do some interviews. I imagine you might find the responses a little less than rational.

This is so true. The man can barely walk...does anyone remember him at previous Heisman trophy award shows in the wheelchair? The man is medicated for the pain...medication can make you say some really stupid things esecially opiates.

He does need the money for healthcare although if I remember correctly there is some agency or organization which helps him out. I am sure he gets some financial assistance from the Gridiron Greats.

Earl Campbell was a great bruising running back that Bum Phillips pounded into the ground...Earl Campbell never gave up on a play and made the defender pay.

That being said...I always thought Walter Payton was the superior running back. I love to watch that man run.

Earl Campbell is an old, jealous, piece of trash douchebag.

I don't care how old or hurt he is.

If he's looking for sympathy, then the old sack of trash shouldn't be running his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes