PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Earl Campbell on the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

letekro

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Just saw this on ESPN news. He is wearing sunglasses, he is clearly heavily sedated, and he is mumbling unintelligibly. I think he was saying that the Patriots are cheaters and should apologize to all of their opponents this year, and that there should be an asterisk next to their record.

Sad to see him in that state, but even sadder that ESPN would air this garbage that is insulting not only to the Patriots, but also to the great Earl Campbell.

Just saw this on ESPN news. He is wearing sunglasses, he is clearly heavily sedated, and he is mumbling unintelligibly. I think he was saying that the Patriots are cheaters and should apologize to all of their opponents this year, and that there should be an asterisk next to their record.

Sad to see him in that state, but even sadder that ESPN would air this garbage that is insulting not only to the Patriots, but also to the great Earl Campbell.

Another hasbeen loser looking for 15 seconds of tv time. Nobody remembers him - now he can put his sunglasses and goback to pimping to make a living

Man that is sad. I used to love the Houston oilers and Earl Cambell. It really is depressing to see him that way.

Another hasbeen loser looking for 15 seconds of tv time. Nobody remembers him - now he can put his sunglasses and goback to pimping to make a living

Earl Campbell is one of the greatest players ever to play the game. There's no need to insult the man.

Earl Campbell was one of my heroes. He is being exploited. He has alot of personal problems and using him like this for publicity is wrong.

=====================================

Earl Cambell a has been loser. :eek:

I remember Earl, a Hall of Fame back who gave his body up for the game.

Sad to see some of the greats in such physical distress.

Earl Campbell is one of the greatest players ever to play the game.

Ummm...so? Being a great player doesn't mean you're above criticism or outright ridicule.

Kind of makes me remember seeing those videos of Walter Payton in his deteriorating state before he died with the sunglasses. Although Campbell never was or will be in Payton's category of class.

Just b/c he WAS a great player gives him no right to berate the Pats accomplishments. If you got nothing better to say STFU. If you open your mouth, then you will be responded to appropriately.

Whe a effin loser. Like i said, nobody knows him or cares for him now.

==================================
I have never met him, but I care about him.

So just don"t say nobody cares.

I do not agree with him 100% on his oppinions though.

Kind of makes me remember seeing those videos of Walter Payton in his deteriorating state before he died with the sunglasses. Although Campbell never was or will be in Payton's category of class.

In his prime he was better than Payton. Because of his style he didn't last as long. But Payton was never as good a pure runner as Campbell. Campbell was a 3 time Offensive Player of the Year, 2 time MVP and 3 time MVP as voted by NFL players. Payton won one MVP in 1977.

Last edited:
If you got nothing better to say STFU.
Look in the mirror. Repeat these words until you "get it."

If you open your mouth, then you will be responded to appropriately.
And you were.

Earl Campbell was a terrific player, and there is no need to insult him because he is on medication.

He gave his body to the game.

Back before the 2001 Superbowl, ESPN did a report on him. He was on his father's farm and could barely walk, and was in constant pain. One of the players on the set - I believe it was Emmitt Smith - was visually shaken by the footage.

In his prime he was better than Payton. Because of his style he didn't last as long. But Payton was never as good a pure runner as Campbell.
Ditka also said Payton was the best receiver on the team, he was a great blocker, busted his ass day in and day out at practice, and only missed one game which was very early in his career. He was also one of the leading contributors to charities among athletes. Sorry, but a one-dimensional bowling ball like Campbell isn't in the same conversation for level of talent or how good of a human being he is.

Ditka also said Payton was the best receiver on the team, he was a great blocker, busted his ass day in and day out at practice, and only missed one game which was very early in his career. He was also one of the leading contributors to charities among athletes. Sorry, but a one-dimensional bowling ball like Campbell isn't in the same conversation for level of talent or how good of a human being he is.

Are you arguing that Payton was a better human being or a better football player? As a human being, probably so. As a football player, in his prime, Campbell was better. Just to expand on this... Walter Payton led the NFL in rushing 1 time in his entire career. Campbell led the NFL in rushing 3 times in his first 3 seasons. Walter Payton was only considered the best rb in the NFL one season, 1977. From 1978-80, Earl Campbell was considered better; from 1981-82 Dorsett was better; From 1983 onward ****erson was better. Payton was kind of like Hank Aaron, in that he was amazingly durable and compiled numbers over a long period. Except for one signature season he was never the best rb in the league. Campbell was unquestionably the best rb and player in the league for 3 straight years.

Last edited:
What OJ thinks of the Pats is what really counts.

Mike Golic's response on NFL Live.

"He's so off base here, it's not even close. Not even worth a comment. So far off in left field here I can't even tell ya.

Earl Campbell could not hold Payton's jockstrap.

Sweetness was the greatest football player of all time and he could teach some modern day azzholes like LT the true meaning of "class".

Earl Campbell was one of my heroes. He is being exploited. He has alot of personal problems and using him like this for publicity is wrong.

Earl campbell is a cripple with severe chronic pain, from what i understand. You wonder how low some of these faux "sports" (gossip) sites can sink and they still surprise you.

He probably needs the money for some machine to keep him barely functioning. because the NFL says his disability isn't related to football.

Go to a chronic pain unit of a hospital sometime and do some interviews. I imagine you might find the responses a little less than rational.

Last edited:
Earl campbell is a cripple with severe chronic pain, from what i understand. You wonder how low some of these faux "sports" (gossip) sites can sink and they still surprise you.

He probably needs the money for some machine to keep him barely functioning. because the NFL says his disability isn't related to football.

Go to a chronic pain unit of a hospital sometime and do some interviews. I imagine you might find the responses a little less than rational.

The proper perspective....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots