PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eagles working the phones to get into the Top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hhhhhhmmmmmmmm.........of course-it's no big secret that Andy Reid has men-crush on linemen.(which is probably why he's all but ignored the WR spot during his tenure)

Anyhow-if Reid is REALLY this desperate-maybe BB/Pioli can get into the mix and try to get as much of the farm from Philly-land as possible?

Eagles might go into trenches for draft
By Bob Grotz [email protected]

The worst-kept secret in South Philadelphia is that the Eagles will address the offensive side of the ball in the coming week. The defense already has been addressed. However, Mel Kiper’s proposed destination of Philadelphia for wide receiver Devin Thomas of Michigan State with the 19th overall selection is cause for pause. The guy to keep an eye on is 6-6, 309-pound offensive lineman Branden Albert of Virginia, who is a slimmed-down version of Eagles Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews.

The Buffalo Bills, who own the 11th overall pick, have shown considerable interest in Thomas (6-2, 218). As a junior, Thomas caught 79 passes for 1,260 yards and eight touchdowns.

Another year to mature and Thomas might be a top-10 pick, not a prospect that makes you wonder what he did earlier in his tour at East Lansing? As a sophomore, Thomas had six grabs for 90 yards and a TD.

Even loosely connecting the dots suggests the Eagles — with 11 draft picks, and possibly a couple of more once they trade cornerback Lito Sheppard — could make a deal to move up the board for a guy like Albert.

Albert played guard in college. A converted basketball player, he has the instincts, the feet, the athleticism and the frame to play tackle on the NFL level. There is film of him playing left tackle last season, his junior year with the Cavaliers.

There is almost no way Albert will fall to the Eagles if they hang with the 19th overall pick. With draft pick trade charts very fluid these days, the Eagles could vault from 19 to 11 by packaging their top pick and little more than their second-round pick. Another prospect on the Eagles’ radar that also could be available in the top 12 is offensive tackle Jeff Otah (6-6, 323) of Pitt, who also has a basketball background.

The Eagles have upgraded the defense enough with cornerback Asante Samuel and Chris Clemons to address the offense, where quarterback Donovan McNabb could use some help.

“I think we’ve made a few moves this offseason, and I think people think they have something to prove (after an 8-8 season) and are excited to get going,” Eagles president Joe Banner said recently. “I’m excited to see what else we can do to make the team better. I think there’s a lot of determination and a lot of optimism.”

When the discussion turns to the Eagles and the draft, what you hear rarely is what you get, as evidenced by the selection of quarterback Kevin Kolb in last year’s draft. The Eagles had almost everyone believing they would take a safety off the board in the so-so first round. They had no intention of doing so, and traded out of the round to get their quarterback of the future.

The Eagles almost certainly will address the wide receiver position in the coming week, whether it comes by trade for a No. 1-caliber receiver, or in the draft — the latter probably more for depth and return ability than show.

Established receivers who will be the talk of next week are Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals, Anquan Boldin of the Arizona Cardinals and Roy Williams of the Detroit Lions. The Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys are expected to be part of the silent bidding.

Appalachian State wide receiver Dexter Jackson fits the latter category, and he ran one of the fastest 40-yard dashes ever at the NFL scouting combine, a blistering 4.27. The Eagles sent wide receivers coach David Culley to North Carolina to work out the 5-9, 185-pound Jackson, according to reports.

The Eagles also brought Thomas and wide receiver DeSean Jackson (6-0, 166) of California, the latter a receiver/returner.

http://www.delcotimes.com/WebA...t_Story_1920875

Last edited:
We could could move to 19, get Shepherd and then move back up using our 2nd. Or, we could simply trade our second for Shepherd, if a new contract could be worked out that would actually have Shepherd playing out the contract.

We could could move to 19, get Shepherd and then move back up using our 2nd. Or, we could simply trade our second for Shepherd, if a new contract could be worked out that would actually have Shepherd playing out the contract.
Some combination of draft picks and Shepherd would be fun.

When I look at the potential of adding Shepard, I look at the following:

1) Can Shepard play in the Pats defense?
2) Can Shepard EXCEL in the Pats defense?
3) How much money is Shepard looking for? How much is he worth to the Patriots? Is he worth $42-$54 million over 6 years?
4) Is Shepard worth a late 1st round pick since that is what it would take for the Eagles to move from 19 to 7?

If the Pats could get Shepard and a 1st rounder (someone like Mayo or Groves) then I would consider it a success.

Sheppard would only be worth a late 3rd high 4th round pick in my opinion. Yes he is 27 and is a probowl player but he hasn't played a full season in 3 years (14 missed games in 3 years)..

I'd expect a couple of high picks included with him..

Last edited:
I wouls take the Eagles 1st and 2nd and let them keep Sheppard for our #7 pick.

I wouls take the Eagles 1st and 2nd and let them keep Sheppard for our #7 pick.

I was thinking the exact same thing...their second could be a lot more valuable to us with less out of pocket than Shepard imo.

The more I think about the pick, the more I think we should just take Albert. Like the other thread says: he is the safest pick.

#7 + #62 for #19 + #49 + Sheppard = Done deal. Well assuming we can agree to a reasonable contract with Sheppard.

Values Exchanged:
Patriots 1,570 + 284 = 1854
Eagles 1,010 + 410 = 1420

This places Sheppard's value at 434 points which is roughly a mid 2nd round pick.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/15/new-draft-trade-chart/

With pick #19 the Pats can take the best OL or LB left. Probably Groves imo. However it's possible that one of Otah/Williams/Albert drops to #19. I could certainly live with one of those guys as well in this scenario. Then in the second round we can just pick the best player for our system or trade it for a future pick. Because at that point 2 of our biggest needs CB and LB/OL will have been met. In round 3 we can fish for value guys. Expect a TE to be taken.

Last edited:
This is not a draft where you trade out of the second...

Shepard isn't coming here if he wants anything approaching a top 5 corner deal. If that was something Belioli was interested in, Asante - who is a lot more durable and knows this system - would still be here. We can pick up a more talented version of Asante in the second or third round for a fraction of the financial investment.

Hopefully there are enough top ten talents in some quarters remaining on the board at 7 because of McFadden and Ryan being hyped into the mix that we will have options to trade down, still get one and pick up another second. If we can't move and have to make the selection there, you can never do too much to protect the franchise. Had we been able to keep him upright just a couple of more times in February we'd be much happier campers today.

#7 + #62 for #19 + #49 + Sheppard = Done deal. Well assuming we can agree to a reasonable contract with Sheppard.

Values Exchanged:
Patriots 1,570 + 284 = 1854
Eagles 1,010 + 410 = 1420

This places Sheppard's value at 434 points which is roughly a mid 2nd round pick.

With pick #19 the Pats can take the best OL or LB left. Probably Groves imo. However it's possible that one of Otah/Williams/Albert drops to #19. I could certainly live with one of those guys as well in this scenario. Then in the second round we can just pick the best player for our system or trade it for a future pick. Because at that point 2 of our biggest needs CB and LB/OL will have been met. In round 3 we can fish for value guys. Expect a TE to be taken.

Looks good, but we keep #62. Give them a 4th rounder. Or give them #7 for their 1st this year, their 1st next year and Lito.

Or give them #7 for their 1st this year, their 1st next year and Lito.

I like the idea of getting a future 1st in return, although with the Eagles, that Future first is unlikely to be all that high.

I like the idea of getting a future 1st in return, although with the Eagles, that Future first is unlikely to be all that high.

Didn't people say that about the 49ers last year?

3) How much money is Shepard looking for? How much is he worth to the Patriots? Is he worth $42-$54 million over 6 years?
4) Is Shepard worth a late 1st round pick since that is what it would take for the Eagles to move from 19 to 7?

If the Pats could get Shepard and a 1st rounder (someone like Mayo or Groves) then I would consider it a success.

It would be hilarious if Shepard ended up on the Patriots and then outplayed Asante over the next half dozen seasons while playing for less money. It would be like an indirect trade with the Eagles.

Philly can keep Shepard. I'd rather have more picks in ANY trade down. These extra picks will allow the Pats to select two CBs from a very deep CB class, and of course address other areas as well. At CB, go after one with starter potential for Samuel's role, and add another upgrade for sub-packages. It's almost a guarantee that any new CB addition will possess the all important ball skills preferred by BB.

To date, the Pats have held private workouts for 9 different CBs. They've also shown interest in 10 others via visits and/or interviews. From 19 CBs, it's fairly easy to find more than just one CB who fits the Pats profile.

It's JMO, but I do see BB going the draft route for more than one CB. And my sense is, Shepard won't be needed.

Didn't people say that about the 49ers last year?

not us we didnt...we knew better

others said that...

but next year the eagles are not gonna suck

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes, the issue is negotiating an acceptable contact.
4) no, as suggested by another poster, we'd need more, perhaps a swap of seconds.
5) we'd end with the #19, and the #49 and Shepherd. I would expect us to draft one of the OL's at #19 (Otah, Albert or Williams) and a LB at #49.

Philly can keep Shepard. I'd rather have more picks in ANY trade down. These extra picks will allow the Pats to select two CBs from a very deep CB class, and of course address other areas as well. At CB, go after one with starter potential for Samuel's role, and add another upgrade for sub-packages. It's almost a guarantee that any new CB addition will possess the all important ball skills preferred by BB.

To date, the Pats have held private workouts for 9 different CBs. They've also shown interest in 10 others via visits and/or interviews. From 19 CBs, it's fairly easy to find more than just one CB who fits the Pats profile.

It's JMO, but I do see BB going the draft route for more than one CB. And my sense is, Shepard won't be needed.

The reason that Shepherd is preferable to the drafting two corners scenario is that Shepherd is ready to step into the #1 CB position from the get go. We already know what he can do. Whereas draft picks could take years to mature. Samuel didn't have his breakout season until year 4. The Pats are in a win now mode. IE Tom Brady = Patriots' championship window. They can't afford to wait for a couple of potentially talented but struggling rookie CBs to learn the ropes before becoming good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes