PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eagles still looking to trade Lito Sheppard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
FYI-they even contacted the DEADSKINS-guess that's how desperate they are.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2008, 12:19 p.m.
Forgotten in the four weeks and forty-eight hours since the Philadelphia Eagles signed cornerback Asante Samuel on the opening day of free agency is the fact that the Eagles are looking to trade cornerback Lito Sheppard.

The deal hasn’t gone down, and the reason for it isn’t clear. Though there likely has been haggling about the value of Sheppard, with the Eagles presumably wanting more than what any interested teams would want to sacrifice, the recent trade of cornerback DeAngelo Hall from the Falcons to the Raiders should help to frame the market.

Hall generated a second-round pick in 2008 and a fifth-round pick in 2009. Sheppard generally is comparable to Hall, with Hall maybe being a half-notch above him.

One way or another, the deal is likely to get done. As noted in the Charlotte Observer, by way of the Philadelphia Inquirer, talks could heat up during the league meetings in Palm Beach.

But there’s no rush, in our view. The Eagles can wait until draft day. If the corner that a team covets is gone before it picks at the bottom of round one, then maybe that team would send that pick to the Eagles for Sheppard. Or maybe after the dust settles on the first day of the draft a team will ship a first-rounder in 2009 to Philly for Sheppard.

Either way, a deal is likely to happen. If the Eagles were committed to Sheppard as the franchise’s shut-down corner, they wouldn’t have given so much money to Samuel, who actually is a few months older than Sheppard.

I would be all for it, but does anyone else have the feeling that Bryant was the extent of our CB free agent/trade stuff?

Unless we swing a draft day trade, which wouldn't suprise me...

I would be all for it, but does anyone else have the feeling that Bryant was the extent of our CB free agent/trade stuff?

Unless we swing a draft day trade, which wouldn't suprise me...

If Bryant is the extent of it, they must have a CB fairly high up on the draft board, wouldn't you say? Do we have a legit #1 CB in anyone's opinion?

If Bryant is the extent of it, they must have a CB fairly high up on the draft board, wouldn't you say? Do we have a legit #1 CB in anyone's opinion?

That's what I am figuring, too. Or, maybe they will swing a draft day trade of Sheppard...I think it all matters with what happens at #7.

Last edited:

Exactly. If they can get Sheppard they should atleast try. I doubt it, I think we're going to get a new CB in the draft. JMO.

That's what I am figuring, too. Or, maybe they will swing a draft day trade of Sheppard...I think it all matters with what happens at #7.

Exactly. If they can get Sheppard they should atleast try. I doubt it, I think we're going to get a new CB in the draft. JMO.

So I'm curious, what's better? Swinging a trade for a guy with some experience to be the #1, or trying to draft the next "shutdown" corner.

At this point, seems to me they should do both. Wouldn't that be interesting...basically swapping Samuel for Sheppard. At least we wouldn't be the chumps who are on the hook for 70 million. Is ANYONE worth that, at the CB position?

Lets trade for Bailey!

Why they got Asante when they already had Lito was dumb. Everyone knows they need to dump Lito now and they will be lucky to get 60 cents on the dollar for him.

That the Eagles were willing to trade him to the Redskins basically tells me their opinion of him. That's a bit of a caution flag to me.

That the Eagles were willing to trade him to the Redskins basically tells me their opinion of him. That's a bit of a caution flag to me.

FYI-Lito has been upset about his current contract(which he signed way back in '04), and has gone as far as being a detriment in that Eagles locker room last year. Hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm..............what is it with Eagles players and being angry over their contracts??

Really though-with Asante getting a bundle, Westbrook being underpaid DESPITE being a top 3 RB, assuming let's say they trade for a playmaker like Chad Johnson/Roy Williams(and pay them a bundle), and let's say Lito stays put due to management not being able to find a trader, I can't imagine that locker room co-existing much next year.

What you said is fair, but if they thought he was a difference maker type I don't think they would let him go to a division rival, and a heated rival at that. There are 28 other options.

What you said is fair, but if they thought he was a difference maker type I don't think they would let him go to a division rival, and a heated rival at that. There are 28 other options.

Reports were they wanted Shawn Springs + a first day pick. Despite getting up there in age, when healthy, Springs is still a bone-fide shutdown corner.

It was like IF this had pulled off, they would have replaced one shutdown corner with another.

A trade for Lito Sheppard wouldn't just be a straight up trade, but a trade and sign, and Lito want's to "get paid". So, I don't think it's likely the Patriots would trade for him.

If we pick Vernon Gholston at #7 then trade for Lito with our 3rd round pic

Last edited:
If we pick Vernon Gholston at #7 then trade for Lito with our 3rd round pic

That would be funny as hell. Not likely to happen, methinks, but still funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down