OT: Eagles cut Shawn Andrews

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
From All-Pro to cut.

Eagles Release OL Shawn Andrews
The injury-plagued career of offensive lineman Shawn Andrews has taken a sudden turn, with the Eagles announcing on Wednesday his release. It was not unexpected, given that Andrews missed most of the last two seasons with a back injury that required separate surgeries.

"We appreciate the efforts and contributions of Shawn while he was in Philadelphia," said head coach Andy Reid. "We have, however, decided to move in another direction."

Andrews twice made the Pro Bowl as a right guard, but suffered a back injury early in the 2008 campaign after playing just one game plus quarter of that season and he never again suited up in an Eagles uniform.

Last year, the Eagles planned to move Andrews from right guard to right tackle and hoped he would play next to his brother, Stacy, after signing Stacy as an unrestricted free agent. But Shawn Andrews, after taking most of the practice reps throughout the spring camps, reported to training camp at Lehigh University and promptly injured in back in the team's conditioning drills and was unable to come back and contribute to the team.

-- Posted by Dave Spadaro, March 17, 1:08 p.m.

Before anybody says it, we already have a talented but injury prone RG.

Sounds like a talented guy. But it looks like injuries will cut his career short. A shame really.

Last edited:
See, this is what happens to people who cut Andy Reid in the postgame buffet line!

Don't expect this guy to come here. Seriously.

Maybe we can fuse him and Neal together into one healthy super-guard.

Last edited:
You guys don't think BB will kick the tires? This seems right in his ballpark to me.

This reminds me of Kendall Simmons last year. Former first rounder with talent who has struggled with injuries and is released. Maybe some good depth and potential upside for the inevitable Neal injury.

The correct answer is "In a heartbeat, as long as he passes a rigorous physical to test his level of health".

Last edited:
He's a former firsr round pick who is no longer as good asnhis name suggests... He will be a Jet!

The Pats should really take a look at the the guy. I think we can revive his career here. Yup. :]

Isn't he the guy Bruschi said was the toughest guard he faced?

This guy has very bad back problems. I would be inclined to pass up on him. Keep Neal as the starter and draft a capable back-up who can come in and replace him in the future.

I'd kick the tires on him.

Before this whole injury/mental issues saga, this guy was one of if not the best OGs in the league.

No harm in letting him meet our docs.

Why the hell not? Between him and Neal, we'll have a full year of play split between the two of them.

Shawn - like his sister Stacy - is too fat, too slow, too hurt, and too dull to ever be a contributor here. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes