PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dungy's view of integrity is situational...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't really understand what that matters, The Colts were under no obligation IMO to go all out and risk injury to our players just because another team needed us to win so they could make the playoffs. ...

I think the rules include something about trying to win. Arranged outcomes are for the WWE.

Staying with the situation, the Patriots ran the red light at 4-am with no team going the other way. The Colts ran the same red light during rush hour and forced the Browns to be late.

Yes, the Browns are to be faulted for not being earlier. The crime of running the red light is similar, but one was morally, not just technically wrong.

Is it too late to recommend that this thread get back on a slightly more civil course? Don't get me wrong, I like a good flamefest as much as the next guy, but on the rare occasion that a fan of another team comes here willing to have a reasonable, friendly conversation, I'm of the mindset that we ought to return the favor.

I agree. I got a little heated when the Colts fan starts correcting my grammer/word choice, but other than that I agree 100%.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys troll around the Indy Boards??? I don't see the value, but I may be wrong.

I don't think its really a big deal. If I'm a Browns fan I'm pissed but the Colts can do whatever they want. I'm just glad that the tactic ultimately came back to bite them in the rear, Cleveland might have beaten San Diego the way the Chargers came out in the wild card round.

awesome movie, seen it not too long ago.

I don't hang here too much anymore, I just check in once in awhile, our new board really sucks now..

Yea, you gotta answer me a question. I don't think I would visit an Indy board, and I'm NOT saying I don't want other fans here, so what makes you check this one.

Again, I'm glad you are here. Just wondering why??

I agree. I got a little heated when the Colts fan starts correcting my grammer/word choice, but other than that I agree 100%.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys troll around the Indy Boards??? I don't see the value, but I may be wrong.

The only reason I corrected you was because you said I was not so smart in the same post. The irony was too much to pass up.

I don't troll. I participate in football conversations. Mainly I stick to Colts conversations, but it's nice to "discuss" things with people that don't drink the same kool-aid.

Yea, you gotta answer me a question. I don't think I would visit an Indy board, and I'm NOT saying I don't want other fans here, so what makes you check this one.

There are plenty that do. Kind of like I was saying up above, there is a different perspective not being on a home board. Some different topics, view point ect. I think outside of the occasional trolls, fans from other teams on boards keeps them fresh and add to them. Most on here may not like the Colts or the fact that I am a Colts fan, but will say that I don't take away from the board by being here and some may actually "enjoy" people like me. :eek:

I only visit here because of the recent rivalry the last 5 years or so, if the Pats were a sucky team I wouldn't be here, it more out of respect then anything.

It's good to have Colts fans here.

As a Pats fan, my view of why "this is even an issue" has to do with the recent snowballing ball of b.s. that has buried all things New England in the last year.

Every assinine assertion about how the Patriots are "Cheaters" is made in the shadow of whole games thrown, in one interpretation, or parts of games or whole games played differently, in another interpretation. And the fact is, the Patriots played to win every game.

Have we ever rested our starters? Yes. Have we ever had "an arrangement" with an opposing coach, regarding game tactics? Not to my knowledge.

I believe that was the actual statement, that the coaches had "an arrangement." This could be interpreted as the Colts throwing the game, but the more generous read is "we agreed with the Titans not to play hard for unlikely outcomes, so we would not injure our guys."

As a Pats fan, it is the hypocrisy that bugs me. If you substitute "Belichick" for "Dungy," the whole country would be up in arms yelling about what cheaters the Pats are. Same with Mangina's use of video last season against the Pats.

What's galling is that the ball has started rolling, and it does not respond to any semblance of logic or reasoned debate. And what's interesting is that I've heard lately from other fans, or seen on other boards, how "only the Patriots" really care what other fans think. So now the Pats are also "targets" for giving a damn about integrity or the perception thereof.

So: that's why nobody else gets what was once the customary "free pass" in Pats territory anymore. What Dungy did, common though it may be, affected that game orders of magnitude above what the Pats' filming practices would do to affect it.

That's why we're pissed.

And if last (regular) season has not really driven home the point yet, you won't like us angry :)

PFnV

I read the Indy boards from time to time, but I've never posted on them. Basically, I like to get a read on the fan reactions to stuff from time to time, like when Freeney got injured, after the Pats game, or after Dungy's "dark day" speech.

So, the philosophical question - and the question of integrity - is:
1) Do you do what is best for winning the current competition - even if that may be detrimental to your chances of winning down the road
2) Do you do what is best for winning the title - even if that may be detrimental to your chances of winning right now

This issue has been discussed for decades in the world of high-level bridge competition (a discussion I have closely followed) as well as occasionally discussed in other forums. Most (including myself) believe that you should do what maximizes your chances for winning it all. Most NFL coaches apparently believe that as well (based on their actual decisions at the end of the season). The fact that Tony Dungy is in that majority is not a big surprise.

I think that any conclusion beyond that Tony Dungy was trying to maximize his chances of winning it all are speculation at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back