PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dumbest play in football history

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was hilarious.

Watched it live

lol'd

Oh, that poor kid.

Someone needs to falsify the scouting report on that kid so the Jets draft him. :singing:

Oh, that poor kid.

I had the opposite reaction: what a freaking MORON!

Last edited:
I've got a bunch of high school classmates at UNI right now, and all of them were posting statuses on Facebook about that play. I now see that it was completely warranted :lol2:

I've got a bunch of high school classmates at UNI right now, and all of them were posting statuses on Facebook about that play. I now see that it was completely warranted :lol2:

UNI is my alma mater. I wouldn't admit it if the teams were reversed on that play. :D

I'm sure the Chargers have already expressed interest.

Desean Jackson says that guy is a moron.

That was f#$%ing awesome

I like how he confidently dropped the ball in front of the ref like "yeah see you at the 20" and kept walking. ref said um... whistle!!!

I don't think he dropped it.someone knocked it out of his hand that's why he
turned to the ref he thought he drew penalty.:)

Last edited:
Tunescribe;2830510: Someone needs to falsify the scouting report on that kid so the Jets draft him. :singing:

I was thinking the exact same thing: That kid has JETS 1st-round selection written all over him. :rocker:

Last edited:
That... sucks.

That kid will never live that down. Even when everyone else has forgotten it years later, he'll always feel like everyone is thinking it every time they see him.

(This is from the point of view of a guy who missed an easy shot at an empty net in a big game back in the day)

He should have drawn a penalty for removing his helmet on the field after the play.......

My vote goes to Jason Garrett for not calling a timeout after getting into field goal territory, then using a timeout to ice his own kicker.

Is Garrett related to Grady Little?

That... sucks.

That kid will never live that down. Even when everyone else has forgotten it years later, he'll always feel like everyone is thinking it every time they see him.

(This is from the point of view of a guy who missed an easy shot at an empty net in a big game back in the day)

Big difference; you simply tried and failed. There is no excuse -- none at all -- for that kid not knowing the most basic of rules for the position he was playing (kickoff returner). It wasn't just a "mistake" or physical failing, it was a case of gross ignorance that arguably cost his team the game and its season.

I don't know about the penalty speculation there, but otherwise, I think you're onto something.

The official did not rule the way he did because the player didn't "take a knee" as the announcer keeps saying, but because the player never created a "dead" ball situation by indicating that he wasn't going to attempt to advance the ball out of the end zone (the usual way to do that is, of course, to "take a knee," but it is not the only way).

For what it's worth, I went through the NCAA Football Rule book (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR09.pdf) and couldn't find anywhere that it says a player on the receiving team HAS to take a knee to create a touchback because of a "dead" ball (if you can find it, please point the page out to me as I word searched the file and couldn't find it).

If he had just handed the ball to the official, then, by rule, the ball is dead (any ball that touches an official is automatically "dead" and a "dead" ball in the endzone is the definition of a "touchback").

However, before he could do so (and I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt that this was his intention or he really is as IQ-challenged as some are suggesting here), the player from the kicking team knocked the ball out of his hand.

If you think about it, players either take a knee or toss/hand the ball to an official after a kickoff in order to create a "dead" ball, which, in the End Zone, defines the circumstances necessary to create a "touchback." I also believe, but am not certain, that his other option would have been to toss the ball out of bounds, which would also creates a "dead" ball and, under the circumstances, a "touchback," but would appreciate being corrected on that if I am wrong.

So, the official ruled that the player on the receiving team could have been pulling a "fumblerooski" kind of move and was possibly going to start running after the kicking team was lulled into stopping their pursuit of the receiver.

In any event, the receiver was at best sloppy by not securing the ball before handing it to the official or by not otherwise creating a "dead" ball situation and, therefore, a touchback.

Last edited:
This is hilarious but hardly the dumbest play in football history. There are many, many dumb plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes