PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Draft whiffs a bit unbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was this QB who was drafted in the 6th round a few years back, I think he went 199 in the 2000 draft - Not sure how he turned out, but I hear pretty good.

Yea, I'd say drafting is not an exact Science.

There was this QB who was drafted in the 6th round a few years back, I think he went 199 in the 2000 draft - Not sure how he turned out, but I hear pretty good.

Yea, I'd say drafting is not an exact Science.

But he spent a whole year on the bench first. And there are lots of examples of undrafted or low pick players who after a few years became stars.

But name another guy who as a rookie started and played most snaps on a dominant defense of an elite team, who was undrafted. When in the past 10, 20 years has this happened?

But he spent a whole year on the bench first. And there are lots of examples of undrafted or low pick players who after a few years became stars.

But name another guy who as a rookie started and played most snaps on a dominant defense of an elite team, who was undrafted. When in the past 10, 20 years has this happened?

Well, you don't have to go far from Tommy, Adalius Thomas pick 186 in the 2000 daft.

Last edited:
Well, you don't have to go far from Tommy, Adalius Thomas pick 186 in the 2000 daft.

Adalius Thomas: Career Stats

His first year he played 3 games, no tackles.

Again, there are lots of guys who developed into great players. But who was undrafted and then started immediately as a rookie on an elite team

Adalius Thomas: Career Stats

His first year he played 3 games, no tackles.

Again, there are lots of guys who developed into great players. But who was undrafted and then started immediately as a rookie on an elite team

Yea, heck I don't know - Jeff Saturday from the Colts was a UDFA in '99 I think. But the Colts were bad.

London Fletcher? He was a UDFA.

Ed Johnson, DT, 2007 for the Indy Colts
Will Demps, S, 2002 for the Baltimore Ravens

Honorable Mentions (players with as much playing time as Gary Guyton):

Bart Scott, LB, 2002 Ravens

The Colts of course have made use of many UDFAs on defense, but none save Nick Harper (2001) and Gary Bracket (2003) had equal playing time to Guyton, and their defenses were bottom-half of the league.

Last edited:
Not on Defense, but didn't Willie Parker get considerable playing time on the Steelers?

EDIT: nevermind, I thought he did his first year, but he really broke out his second year in the league

Last edited:
Re: OT Draft Whiffs a Bit Unbelievable

It also makes me wonder what we would have done with that second #1? Who would it have been? Would that #1 be a bust? Would we have traded for picks next year?

Would Guyton be out of the picture all together?

QUENTIN GROVES...

and then we wouldnt have used the 3rd on Crable. We couldve used it on another CB... and then we wouldnt have used the 4th on Wilhite

Guyton is a great find, amazed everytime I see an undrafted FA there on the D, seems to be in on a lot of the pass packages.. does anyone know the contract numbers and how long he will be with us??..

UDFAs generally get rookie minimum + a signing bonus of $25,000 or less. (That has to do with the CBA rules; their salaries do not count against the rookie salary cap.)

In any case, he will be an exclusive rights free agent for two more seasons. After that, he would be an RFA for at least one season, or three seasons if the CBA goes away.

Per Miguel's page, Guyton is signed through 2009. Salary this year is 295K with a SB of 12000.00.

Re: OT Draft Whiffs a Bit Unbelievable

QUENTIN GROVES...

and then we wouldnt have used the 3rd on Crable. We couldve used it on another CB... and then we wouldnt have used the 4th on Wilhite

If the Pats had wanted Groves, they could've easily moved up in the 2nd round and gotten him. Personally, I wanted Groves a lot - but its obvious the Patriots didn't share the feeling.

So far this year, he has 8 tackles, 1 FF, and 1.5 sacks. Not great, but not too bad for a player who comes in only on passing downs. More productive than Gholston for a fraction of the price, thats for sure.

Last edited:
Wasn't Randall Gay an UDFA and started at CB near the end of his rookie year (2003?), culminating in him starting in the SuperBowl?

If so, I would say that is an example that rivals what we are seeing with Guyton... although Gay did get hurt in later seasons and IR'd and never seemed to get completely back to his rookie season form.

Last edited:
Sometimes you get lucky.....don't forget...the Pats didn't draft him either!

Although, we did spend a #1 pick on Maroney.

See....hits and misses. It happens to every team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back