PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Draft pick thinks Brady, Manning statues??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06117/685463-66.stm

Just found this an interesting from a college QB...who MAY be placed in another position on the field??
Statues?? I don't think Brady..or Manning for that matter are statues...I guess he doesn't get the fact that one doesn't need to have blazing speed to avoid the rush. Bledsoe?? Now HE may be s statue...but Brady??

This little punk needs to check his stats because Brady and Manning are two of the least sacked QB's in football.

Pats726 said:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06117/685463-66.stm

Just found this an interesting from a college QB...who MAY be placed in another position on the field??
Statues?? I don't think Brady..or Manning for that matter are statues...I guess he doesn't get the fact that one doesn't need to have blazing speed to avoid the rush. Bledsoe?? Now HE may be s statue...but Brady??

IF this guy has no understanding about what it takes to avoid a rush, how in the world will he be able to read NFL defenses, and run an NFL offense?

He doesn't even know what being a statue means.

Both of those QB's move around in the pocket to avoid the rush.

And a dying bread???

Give every team in the league a choice between , and 32 teams (including Atlanta) would easily pick either Brady or Manning over Vick.

Let someone other then one of these dying breed qb's win a superbowl before you start talking about there extinction. Other then Young, I don't recall off the top of my head a scrambler who has won a SB.

If anything, the rise in the number of speedy QB's in this league has only underscored the fact that the true pocket passer (with good pocket awarness) is superior to the runners, by virtue of the results on the field!

Last edited:
That shows how smart he is

I read that earlier and said there is a reason not to draft that idiot.

Obviously the one physical virtue this guy doesn't possess is ownership of a brain.

Dying breed? :rofl:

Peyton & Brady have only had to be sat because the game was well in hand or the play-offs were assured.

How many games has Mr Vick missed?

The idea that the pocket passer is somehow obsolete is ridculus. The more the quarterback makes the plays with his eyes and arm the longer he lasts. Thats why they get to do that goofy baseball slide if they do run it. QBs running away from the Defenses will eventually get hit and hit hard, why because no matter how fast your QB might be, he can not escape them all. Thats why the pocket quaterback that makes the good quick throws still wins football games.

That's why the Falcons were so determined to not let Schaub go. They know Vick is not going to be able to play 16 games.

To start, as a Michigan fan, I can't believe I'm about to defend a Penn State quarterback. However, it seems to me that a lot of people are misinterpreting what Robinson said.

"Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, they're great quarterbacks, but they're going to be a dying breed," Robinson said. "Defenses are getting too fast. You can't have quarterbacks who are statues."

Though Robinson implies that non-scrambling QBs such as Manning and Brady are "statues" (which is, quite obviously, incorrect), he doesn't explicitly say that they are and it is possible that he was referring to QBs other than Brady and Manning. And in a sense, he is right; a Drew Bledsoe or David Carr can't survive in today's NFL because the defenses ARE too fast. QBs need more pocket presence than ever to get the ball off in time and neither QB I mentioned has that.

Also, people seem to misquote Robinson as saying that less mobile QBs are a dying breed. As placed in bold in the quote, Robinson stated that they are GOING to be a dying breed, not ARE a dying breed, and there is a major difference. Though less mobile QBs are less highly touted as they used to be, they have not faded out yet, as many have said. However, I find myself agreeing that as time goes by, QBs will end up becoming more and more mobile.

Running QBs? I still have three words.

Running

Quarterbacks

Break.

Learn 'em, love 'em, live 'em.

PFnV

Brady did VERY well in the quarterback challenge speed and agility runs a couple years ago. Was faster than Flutie.

Is he on Battle of the Network Stars this summer? I hear they have a paintball obstacle course.

he got it 50% right.

it's a different balance for each QB/system...the better passer you are the less mobile you need to be. Mobile QBs have been very successful: Tark, Staubach, Young...and of course going back further to the age of the passing halfback, when as BB said, Vick would've dominated.

Peyton gets away with it because the Colts' passing game is so precise he doesn't normally have to hang around back there.

But when he's forced to sit back and read the field, and wait til the last second to throw the ball (ala TB), he absolutely turns into an ice scupture...nor is his O-line built to support that kind of system...their system is designed to compensate for Peyton's complete inability to buy time in the pocket.

I've long argued that Peyton's biggest problem isn't "choking" but that he's an EXTREMELY overrated system QB who exhibits the same symptoms over and over when facing quality front-7s -- particularly 3-4s -- because he can't read/exploit what he's seeing before the snap and can't adjust to things after the snap.

Most Pats fans and pundits point to PM as proof that "defense wins championships" -- in this case though, the problem is that he just can't handle pressure as well as our QB...that's the difference. The Pats have had a solid playoff-caliber defense comparable to several others in the league, it is not however dominant in a historic way...what seperates the Pats is having a QB whose strengths really show against quality defense.

Against strong fronts, Peyton's tendency is to look down at the rush and sense the rush when it isn't there. Tom on the other hand is able to evade and actually manipulate pressure with effective footwork without taking his primary focus off the secondary...it's simultaneous and instinctive for him...while PM has to split his attention to a point where he goes into a state of shock and freezes up.

Problem with Robinson (who applied one of the most violent hits I've ever seen on a backer in the Minnesota game) is that he isn't as accurate as Peyton on his first couple reads...and isn't the overall passer Tom is.

I like Robinson a lot and hope there's a place for him and that he's eventually willing to make some compromises.

Unfortunately, football has been evolving into a more PASS HAPPY more aerial game...it began as a heavily run oriented game and in the past 30 years has become dominated by the forward pass...that process has only accelerated in recent years with the rules changes in the secondary.

Quality pocket passers are hardly a dying breed, they're in greater demand than ever.

Sadly, that's not good for Robinson, and he knows it.

Last edited:
Michael Robinson will be a better QB than Brady or Manning. Mark my words.

primetime said:
Michael Robinson will be a better QB than Brady or Manning. Mark my words.
Your words are already marked......With a big STUPID all over them

Robinson is singing the same tune that has been sung for 20+ years. Steve Young was the new prototype coming out of BYU. Then Randall Cunningham was the future. Pocket passers who lack mobility have been a "dying breed" for 2 decades and yet you look at the 2005 season and the top 3 QBs are - Brady, Manning, and Palmer.

QB has always been about dropping back and firing the ball down the field accurately. It's always going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down